The Protestant traditions of the Rangers football club

bouncy

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'....part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support.'

Rangers Vice Chairman Matt Taylor, 1967 ;)

except it was 1872 we were founded :P.

Indeed, and I'd like to ask him why he said we were founded as a 'Protestant boys club', I've never heard anyone else say that.

That is bizaare but it does highlight how much the story of how the club was founded has been neglected for so long. Its high time the club did more to emphasise the clubs origins and educate some of our fans as well as others about the manner in which we were founded.

Aye, even Kelvingrove had Rangers as a 'Club that started out as a protestant club', which obviously isn't true.

Rangers are world famous as a Protestant club, and no one can and should never be allowed to change our traditions. If u dont like it, follow another team. Im proud to support this famous old protestant establishment!

'....part of our tradition....we were formed in 1873 as a Protestant boys club. To change now would lose us considerable support.'

Rangers Vice Chairman Matt Taylor, 1967 ;)

except it was 1872 we were founded :P.

Indeed, and I'd like to ask him why he said we were founded as a 'Protestant boys club', I've never heard anyone else say that.

That is bizaare but it does highlight how much the story of how the club was founded has been neglected for so long. Its high time the club did more to emphasise the clubs origins and educate some of our fans as well as others about the manner in which we were founded.

Aye, even Kelvingrove had Rangers as a 'Club that started out as a protestant club', which obviously isn't true.

Well we all know who runs the Kelvingrove albeit non directly now....

dont be ashamed and if you are then why you there

Come on the teddybears

were you christened? and do you believe in god

well i was , church of Scotland (Scottish protestant)

i do believe in the teachings of the Protestant reformation or more so Presbyterianism which the COS was established from.

freedom from error teaching and faith, dictatorship and a religion which is famous in history books for murder and empires across europe.

i am proud of the fact that the Glasgow Rangers ARE A PROTESTANT football club , doesnt mean it declines anyone from signing nowadays but at the end of the day they play for the light blue jersey , The Rangers jersey , the Protestant jersey.

I think any Rangers who wishes to neglect or decline the Institution that is Rangers FC should either think why do i support them but dont want to achnowledge the clubs Protestant roots and heritage? Ask yourself that question .

I mean i have noticed that we may have the only supporters in the world who wish to bin the clubs own history and songs.

Come on the teddybears

Well said Bouncy, im not christian but i believe on the protestant faith as all my family are protestant's, im from Northern Ireland, im a Rangers fan and i love my country and the red white and blue.

All this crap about you have to goto church to be a protestant is shit, all you have to do is believe on the protestant way of life.

I was starting to think this board was starting to forget its tradition's.?

But the good thing is, that we ended up a Protestant club and known all over the world as a Protestant club.

That's how where the FAMOUS Glasgow Rangers, although Glasgow not in our name but thats how the world no's us so well.

Come on the teddybears

Well said Bouncy, im not christian but i believe on the protestant faith as all my family are protestant's, im from Northern Ireland, im a Rangers fan and i love my country and the red white and blue.

All this crap about you have to goto church to be a protestant is shit, all you have to do is believe on the protestant way of life.

Whit? :rolleyes:

The Protestant faith is part of Christianity, so what you've just said there makes no sense my non-Christian Protestant friend.

Rangers Football Club, like it or not is a club which will always be linked with Protestantism. The overwhelming majority of our support were raised as Protestants, we shouldn't be ashamed of it. To be ashamed of it is demeaning and blackening the name of the men of the past.

Come on the teddybears

The Protestant faith is part of Christianity, so what you've just said there makes no sense my non-Christian Protestant friend.

Rangers Football Club, like it or not is a club which will always be linked with Protestantism. The overwhelming majority of our support were raised as Protestants, we shouldn't be ashamed of it. To be ashamed of it is demeaning and blackening the name of the men of the past.

You don't understand where im coming from, in Northern Ireland you live in an area prodimintly protestant are you going to tell all of us that we shouldn't class ourselves protestant just because we don't go to church but we believe on the protestant way of life.?

Come on the teddybears

You don't understand where im coming from, in Northern Ireland you live in an area prodimintly protestant are you going to tell all of us that we shouldn't class ourselves protestant just because we don't go to church but we believe on the protestant way of life.?

There was me thinking that being a Protestant had a religious connection. :blush:

Celtic is a club which is more involved in the whole religion side of things. You can just tell that by the badge. They are the club really built on religion if you think about it.

Rangers has a proud protestant infulence and i don't see a problem with that. Matter what your beliefs are. As an agnostic, i see no problem with it.

Come on the teddybears

That is a lot of crap. Im sorry but it really is. Yes Rangers have a protestant tradition, but this stems from the Church of Scotland. The presbyterian faith. The protestant way of life is to practise your faith in God in a perticular way, its not about shouting abuse at caffliks. This is something different. You should read about Henry the eigth (pretty interesting and pretty funny). It should give a little insight into some of this. Protestants are Christians by the way.

Come on the teddybears

I have no idea what you are talking about?

All I was replying to was the fact you said you weren't a Christian, but you are a Protestant. Which is like saying your a Vegi but you eat meat.