The Protestant traditions of the Rangers football club

bouncy

What would you say is the general faith/belief on here? I count Atheists in that too.

That's difficult to say unless you do a poll.

I am willing to bet though, that the vast majority of people on here never set foot inside a church unless it's for weddings, christenings and funerals.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dont be ashamed and if you are then why you there

Come on the teddybears

Well said Bouncy, im not christian but i believe on the protestant faith as all my family are protestant's, im from Northern Ireland, im a Rangers fan and i love my country and the red white and blue.

All this crap about you have to goto church to be a protestant is shit, all you have to do is believe on the protestant way of life.

I was starting to think this board was starting to forget its tradition's.?

That is a lot of crap. Im sorry but it really is. Yes Rangers have a protestant tradition, but this stems from the Church of Scotland. The presbyterian faith. The protestant way of life is to practise your faith in God in a perticular way, its not about shouting abuse at caffliks. This is something different. You should read about Henry the eigth (pretty interesting and pretty funny). It should give a little insight into some of this. Protestants are Christians by the way.

Well ive just got to say alot of people class themselfs as protestants although they don't go to church.

Mebe you should go read the census which is good reading, it tells you facts about the people of Britain, which it states that 71.8 percent of the UK say that their christian, are you saying that 41 million people goto church. ?

So your wrong you can say that you come from the protestant community no problem in sayin that whatsoever.

Come on the teddybears

Well said Bouncy, im not christian but i believe on the protestant faith as all my family are protestant's, im from Northern Ireland, im a Rangers fan and i love my country and the red white and blue.

All this crap about you have to goto church to be a protestant is shit, all you have to do is believe on the protestant way of life.

That is a lot of crap. Im sorry but it really is. Yes Rangers have a protestant tradition, but this stems from the Church of Scotland. The presbyterian faith. The protestant way of life is to practise your faith in God in a perticular way, its not about shouting abuse at caffliks. This is something different. You should read about Henry the eigth (pretty interesting and pretty funny). It should give a little insight into some of this. Protestants are Christians by the way.

Well ive just got to say alot of people class themselfs as protestants although they don't go to church.

Mebe you should go read the census which is good reading, it tells you facts about the people of Britain, which it states that 71.8 percent of the UK say that their christian, are you saying that 41 million people goto church. ?

So your wrong you can say that you come from the protestant community no problem in sayin that whatsoever.

You simply can not be a Protestant without being a Christian. It is a religeous label.

Come on the teddybears

You simply can not be a Protestant without being a Christian. It is a religeous label.

I know what your saying but just face it alot of people consider themselfs to be protestant.

Are you going to tell half of Britian that.?

I always thought that a Protestant was anyone who was against the church of Rome's teaching, you have Episcopalians and Presbyterians and all other non denominational types, I've never seen a church called "The Govan Protestant Church" for example it would be "The Govan Presbyterian Church".

Rangers FC upheld the Protestant traditions of the West of Scotland, which encompased all non denominations and non believers.

No Popery

I was born into a protestant family but i dont believe in god.... therefore im not a protestant.

however i am a loyalist, unionist and british citizen and of that im very proud.

No Surrender WATP!

i just love this type of debate..lol

The term Protestant has been used in many different senses, often as a general term merely to signify people who believe in Christ who exist outside of the Catholic or Orthodox Churches.

meaning in leu of the Reformation WE ARE FREE from the grasp of catholicism or shall i put it,,FREE from being forced into

a church or religion that we dont believe in .therefore we protest to there being only one church ,a church that teaches

a brainwashing faith that WE dont believe in .The pope aint our leader Christ is..

and the whole reason that so many fought against papism in years gone by so we could have a choice..THE REFORMATION..

You dont need to be a church goer to be protestant as the word suggests ..PROTESTANT ,to protest/a protester...

you are a protestant if you protest against/or dont believe in catholicism.....SIMPLES..

Y

I always thought that a Protestant was anyone who was against the church of Rome's teaching, you have Episcopalians and Presbyterians and all other non denominational types, I've never seen a church called "The Govan Protestant Church" for example it would be "The Govan Presbyterian Church".

Rangers FC upheld the Protestant traditions of the West of Scotland, which encompased all non denominations and non believers.

No Popery

SORRY MATE ,never seen your post ..and if i did i wouldnt have typed my own tbh...

youve explained it in a nutshell... (tu)

The term Protestant has been used in many different senses, often as a general term merely to signify people who believe in Christ who exist outside of the Catholic or Orthodox Churches.

meaning in leu of the Reformation WE ARE FREE from the grasp of catholicism or shall i put it,,FREE from being forced into

a church or religion that we dont believe in .therefore we protest to there being only one church ,a church that teaches

a brainwashing faith that WE dont believe in .The pope aint our leader Christ is..

and the whole reason that so many fought against papism in years gone by so we could have a choice..THE REFORMATION..

You dont need to be a church goer to be protestant as the word suggests ..PROTESTANT ,to protest/a protester...

you are a protestant if you protest against/or dont believe in catholicism.....SIMPLES..

Y

Thats exactly what my dabate was on back on this thread, it is SIMPLES i always wonder why people have to ask you question's are you a christian do you goto church etc etc but they don't seem to know why a protestant is called a protestant for.

I even read on another thread a while back one person said protestant was named after a book on the bible, now im still baffled to this day what book he was on about he even claimed he was protestant.

But well done djgaz better put than what i could. (tu)

Y

It simples that you are not correct. It is a part of the Christian church, it was started by people who wanted to worship God in a different way, so therefore started what would be the Protestant movement. It was not to be able to worship or not worship at all. It was because they thought all the rubbish that goes with Catholicism was blasphemous and not in keeping with the bible's teachings. The reformation took off when Henry the 8th became Protestant and banning catholicism. He then made himself head of church and state, taking away the power of the Pope in Rome, who at this point had rather too much of a say in Europe at the time. The Protest aspect in the name came from the original Christians who did not want to worship God in the Catholic way, they "protested ". It is not aimed at people who Protest now. That would mean that if i disagree with Pepsi... i would be a Protestant. To be Protestant, you must be Christian.

From Britannica Concise

Protestantism

One of the three major branches of Christianity, originating in the 16th-century Reformation. The term applies to the beliefs of Christians who do not adhere to Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy. A variety of Protestant denominations grew out of the Reformation. The followers of Martin Luther established the evangelical churches of Germany and Scandinavia; John Calvin and more radical reformers such as Huldrych Zwingli founded Reformed churches in Switzerland, and Calvin's disciple John Knox established a church in Scotland (Presbyterianism). Another important branch of Protestantism, represented by the Church of England and Episcopal Church, had its origins in 16th-century England and is now the Protestant denomination closest to Roman Catholicism in theology and worship. The doctrines of the various Protestant denominations vary considerably, but all emphasize the supremacy of the Bible in matters of faith and order, justification by grace through faith and not through works, and the priesthood of all believers. In the early 21st century there were nearly 350 million Protestants in the world. See also Adventist, Baptist, Society of Friends, Mennonite, Methodism

On a side note, I had to laugh a few years back, i was among a busload of drunk bears had just crossed the Croatia - Montenegro border going to the FK Zeta game.

As soon as we got in to Montenegro a bear jumped up and shouted 'Thank fk for that, that's us in the Proddy bit of Yugoslavia!'

Proud to be a football fan.

Some of the religious stuff is fun with the banter and the songs, and winding up the hoops etc.

But the bigots who takes it seriously - that the club just represents 'protestants'

It's just kind of embarrassing nowadays..

When it comes down to it - fuck all the religious baggage. fuck the queen and the pope.

Some of the religious stuff is fun with the banter and the songs, and winding up the hoops etc.

But the bigots who takes it seriously - that the club just represents 'protestants'

When it comes down to it - fuck all the religious baggage. fuck the queen and the pope.

mmmmmmm ?

From Britannica Concise

Protestantism

One of the three major branches of Christianity, originating in the 16th-century Reformation. The term applies to the beliefs of Christians who do not adhere to Roman Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy. A variety of Protestant denominations grew out of the Reformation. The followers of Martin Luther established the evangelical churches of Germany and Scandinavia; John Calvin and more radical reformers such as Huldrych Zwingli founded Reformed churches in Switzerland, and Calvin's disciple John Knox established a church in Scotland (Presbyterianism). Another important branch of Protestantism, represented by the Church of England and Episcopal Church, had its origins in 16th-century England and is now the Protestant denomination closest to Roman Catholicism in theology and worship. The doctrines of the various Protestant denominations vary considerably, but all emphasize the supremacy of the Bible in matters of faith and order, justification by grace through faith and not through works, and the priesthood of all believers. In the early 21st century there were nearly 350 million Protestants in the world. See also Adventist, Baptist, Society of Friends, Mennonite, Methodism

You still have no understanding on why the modern day protestant conciders themselfs to be protestant but not goto church, do you,

i understand what you mean but as i said before explain that too 71 percent of Britain and ask them why they put down on there census form that they where protestant or catholic, and i can tell you now that is about 41 million people say 15 million actully goto church thats 26 million people you have to explain what your saying too.

Which imo is absolute bullocks to the mordern day christian or protestant in that matter.

Fuck the queen? What a total idiot.

The queen isn't a religious symbol. She is the queen of this country and the head of the monarchy.

Are you for real ya Fud???

What has the Queen got to do with religion??/

Fuck the Queen you say,fuck you ya disgrace to the human race.Go and crawl under the rock you came out of,you fucking clown.

what religious stuff do you find as fun banter then????

"fuck the queen?" what the hell are you on mate?no need to even take the good lady into this you clueless twat! :mad: