Final Fantasy 13

Scott-RFC

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Finally got round to finishing this off. Technically I've completed 24 chapters! My PS3 died when I was on chapter 11 so I had to start again.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. There are some aspects which could be improved, and probably will be in XIII-2, but there's more positives than negatives in my opinion. Battle system, story, leveling system were all + points for me while Graphics and visuals were stunning (as expected).

The game was a bit linear, but it kept me focused. While I will probably re-visit my save file to take on some of the side-quests in Gran-Pulse.

lsot interest in FF after FFVIII, had 9 but never got into it.

are the new ones any good in terms of storyline and gameplay or is the magic system etc a bit complicated nowadays??

i don't think i could devote the time to these games nowadays to be honest.

lsot interest in FF after FFVIII, had 9 but never got into it.

are the new ones any good in terms of storyline and gameplay or is the magic system etc a bit complicated nowadays??

i don't think i could devote the time to these games nowadays to be honest.

FFX is worth a play: story is good; battle system is fine plus you can swap characters mid battle so everyone gets XP etc. 9/10 from me. Haven't played FFX-2 but didn't like the look of it.

FFXII has possibly the best battle system of the modern titles but the story can feel a bit detached and the game is a bit of a grind. 8/10.

Haven't finished XIII yet but I've found it hit and miss so far.

I enjoyed FF9 best probably cause it was the first one I had. Then finished FF8, FF7, FF10, FF10-2(was a bit shite) haven't tried any of the new ones yet.

They worth buying? Not really into the online ones.

FFX is worth a play: story is good; battle system is fine plus you can swap characters mid battle so everyone gets XP etc. 9/10 from me. Haven't played FFX-2 but didn't like the look of it.

FFXII has possibly the best battle system of the modern titles but the story can feel a bit detached and the game is a bit of a grind. 8/10.

Haven't finished XIII yet but I've found it hit and miss so far.

god no FFX was absolute baws, there was no exploration, the "levelling up" system was absolute rotten and the

I enjoyed FFVII because of the exploration and the massive amount of side missions

And VIII was the best one imo, the junction system was an amazing addition and an added complication that was needed, in VII once you had materia you could just batter into the magic without considering the consequences

god no FFX was absolute baws, there was no exploration, the "levelling up" system was absolute rotten and the

I enjoyed FFVII because of the exploration and the massive amount of side missions

And VIII was the best one imo, the junction system was an amazing addition and an added complication that was needed, in VII once you had materia you could just batter into the magic without considering the consequences

Most of the non-PS1 games have been very linear, I miss the world map aspect. Squaresoft need to learn to keep the best elements of FF and stop ripping it up needlessly.

I agree about the World Map/sidequests thing.

I read an interview about why things were so linear and they felt that it added focus and drive to the mainstory, while still offering various side-quests but I don't think they seem to realise how perfect that balance was in FFVII and VIII.

To be honest, I still enjoyed X a lot but the lack of a world map and airship to physically fly around in was a disappointment to me. It wasn't a major sticking point for me, though.

I agree about the World Map/sidequests thing.

I read an interview about why things were so linear and they felt that it added focus and drive to the mainstory, while still offering various side-quests but I don't think they seem to realise how perfect that balance was in FFVII and VIII.

To be honest, I still enjoyed X a lot but the lack of a world map and airship to physically fly around in was a disappointment to me. It wasn't a major sticking point for me, though.

i thought that they tried to hard to make 10 more like a movie at times

it was the same with metal gear solid, the first one on the PS1 was amazing, just the right balance of gameplay and CGI

played MGS2 and it was like watching a fucking film

plus the card game in FF8 was a brilliant way to pass the time, and then finding out later in the game you could convert the cards was an added bonus (especially the gilgamesh card, 100 holy wars was the only way to beat OMEGA weapon)

i thought that they tried to hard to make 10 more like a movie at times

it was the same with metal gear solid, the first one on the PS1 was amazing, just the right balance of gameplay and CGI

played MGS2 and it was like watching a fucking film

plus the card game in FF8 was a brilliant way to pass the time, and then finding out later in the game you could convert the cards was an added bonus (especially the gilgamesh card, 100 holy wars was the only way to beat OMEGA weapon)

Cards from VIII was so addictive. Number of times I thought I had a game sewn up only for the computer to flip half the board and nick my Ifrit card!

Cards from VIII was so addictive. Number of times I thought I had a game sewn up only for the computer to flip half the board and nick my Ifrit card!

ahahaha the ifrit card was good at first, but the player cards were amazing powerful

seifer and squall cards were just opposite of each other (same as their actual personalities) and they were the simplest way to win the game

i hated it though when the blind rule was used, and you couldnt see the opponents cards, every other rule i used to be able to play no bother (i was sad as fuck and played it A LOT lol)

beating the card jack, queen, king, joker and master was a nightmare, but as i said the gilgamesh card was worth it

I dunno how much time I've spent playing the card game. So many days I expect ha.

You could manipulate the rules, I remember, by challenging them and declining a couple of times until they just offered up a battle with one regions rules instead of combining them.

I'm pretty sure I've beaten the Omega Weapon without refining that card. You shouldn't need to refine the cards, they're just there as another option. (For example, Minotaur card refines into Adamintines for the Lionheart gunblade if you can't be arsed farming them). You can re-claim refined cards anyway on disc 4.

I dunno how much time I've spent playing the card game. So many days I expect ha.

You could manipulate the rules, I remember, by challenging them and declining a couple of times until they just offered up a battle with one regions rules instead of combining them.

I'm pretty sure I've beaten the Omega Weapon without refining that card. You shouldn't need to refine the cards, they're just there as another option. (For example, Minotaur card refines into Adamintines for the Lionheart gunblade if you can't be arsed farming them). You can re-claim refined cards anyway on disc 4.

Was there not some monster you could nick it off/turn into so you can keep your collection intact?

I didn't like the weapon system in VIII, I preferred VII where you'd open a chest somewhere and get a nice big sword with extra materia slots.

yeah you can beat OMEGA weapon by refining the laguna card i think for 100 hero items

do you remember the easy battle strategy ;)

Was there not some monster you could nick it off/turn into so you can keep your collection intact?

I didn't like the weapon system in VIII, I preferred VII where you'd open a chest somewhere and get a nice big sword with extra materia slots.

it wasnt a monster it was the card queen traveller person that was in a certain part of the world map that you could get every card from in disc4

damn i really loved that game

yeah you can beat OMEGA weapon by refining the laguna card i think for 100 hero items

do you remember the easy battle strategy ;)

Limit breaks kept things pretty easy for me.

I remember you could quite easily avoid the need to level up too much by just junctioning magic to your stats and attacks.

Yeah, Adamantoise was what you could farm the item from, they were pretty tough.

I liked the idea of upgrading, but I would have prefered if you could find the weapons and then upgrade them. Like XIII, I suppose.

Limit breaks kept things pretty easy for me.

I remember you could quite easily avoid the need to level up too much by just junctioning magic to your stats and attacks.

the best battle strategy near the end was

cast aura on squall

cast meltdown on the enemy

keep pressing triangle on squall until his limitbreak appears

this was how i done owega weapon, except i added in the casting of heroes after you cast aura on all 3 members

do you remember how to beat ruby and diamond weapon on FF7, damn they were soooo long and a pain in the arse ;)

the best battle strategy near the end was

cast aura on squall

cast meltdown on the enemy

keep pressing triangle on squall until his limitbreak appears

this was how i done owega weapon, except i added in the casting of heroes after you cast aura on all 3 members

do you remember how to beat ruby and diamond weapon on FF7, damn they were soooo long and a pain in the arse ;)

Aye, junctioning 100 Deaths to status defense and using meltdown to reduce his vitality to 0 were vital to winning.

You mean Ruby and Emerald Weapon? They were tough as fuck. I've not fought them for years, haven't got much into disc 2 of my replay of FF7 on the PSP. I think I used a strategy relying on Knights of the Round, HP Absorb and Mime. I can't remember exactly though.