Big Eck - How do you remember him?

GOAT

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just remember the good times. It was the press that gave him peletrs more than anything. He was also up against a very good Celtic side at the time. A good Rangers man and a gent.

Rangers fans have short memories FFS. Alex McLeish was in charge during our biggest period of downsizing ever. He made us £17m net in the transfer market I believe Walter has spent about similar net - a £34m swing!

- 2 last day title triumphs

- Lovenkrands cup final

- League cup final win against Celtic

- First Scottish club to make the CL last 16, a Boyd swipe away from the quarters.

He performed fucking miracles on the budget he had and he is a top class manager. Unfortunately is was probably time for him to go because the budget had been slashed so much that he was struggling to compete with Celtic when Strachan came in and spent a wad of cash.

He will go on to manage a top 4 club in England. Would have been interesting to see what he could have done with £30m of transfer cash to spend. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A good bear, and, a true gent, performed miracles under the conditions murray gave him, and, got far too much abuse from the fans that in the main wasnt deserved. I will always have utmost respect for the man

His record speaks for itself 7 trophies in 4 years, first club from Scotland to make it to the last 16. I will always remember him for that, near the end of his time it was difficult to say the least. But he was doing the best with what he had. He has shown how good a manager he is down at Birmingham. But we all new that already.

Always had a lot of respect for Alex McLeish. He steadied the ship through a very difficult period of the field and remained a success for the vast majority of the time. He have me some memories that I will always treasure. The Lovenkrands Cup final, the 2003 Championship which I thought we couldn't better then we did Helicopter Sunday, Villarreal. These memories will stay with me forever.

But what I'll remember most bout McLeish was his dignity in the job. Seeing half your team taken from you and told to create a new one with Bosmans couldn't have been easy likewise knowing that the club are actively seeking a new manager. You didn't hear him complain, he kept his composure and even now hasn't criticised the club for doing so.

The time was right for him to leave but seven trophies in four years basically competiting with one hand tied behind his back for most of it was a fantastic effort.

A mixed bag really.

The highs of a treble and Helicopter Sunday, the low of coming third in a two-horse race that scuppered Le Guen's transfer budget.

Definitely more positives than negatives.

I will always thank him for Helicopter Sunday Mk1, the last 16 of the Champions League and Big Dado Prso.

Some of his purchases in the player market left a lot to be desired, especially under the financial restraint he was placed under but thats just a small niggle for everything he acheived in his time at Rangers.

whenever I think of Eck I think of Helicopter Sunday

i think he will forever be associated with helicopter sunday. his reaction on the side lines when the news came through says it all. a proper rangers man.

That played for Aberdeen.

i think he will forever be associated with helicopter sunday. his reaction on the side lines when the news came through says it all. a proper rangers man.

Still a Rangers man. Mcleish always admitted he was a Rangers supporter and showed that with the class and dignity he had while in the job

Still a Rangers man. Mcleish always admitted he was a Rangers supporter and showed that with the class and dignity he had while in the job

Seconded

I chucked my seasoon ticket when McLeish was manager.

We won the league but the football was utter gash.

Used to wake up on match days and dread going to watch the dross we were turning out.

Also everytime i see Horatio from CSI: Miami it reminds me of McLeish!

94814590.jpg

I will always thank him for Helicopter Sunday Mk1, the last 16 of the Champions League and Big Dado Prso.

Some of his purchases in the player market left a lot to be desired, especially under the financial restraint he was placed under but thats just a small niggle for everything he acheived in his time at Rangers.

Yeah, this for me.

McLeish's first Helicopter Sunday - Arteta Pen - was my first season as a ST holder.

He was no match at all to MO'N in OF games.

I'd like to see the stats on that. I'd disagree off the top off my head.

He went 6 or 7 games unbeaten in his first 2 seasons then couldn't buy a win the next season. I know he got 3 wins over O'Neill in his last season

I chucked my seasoon ticket when McLeish was manager.

We won the league but the football was utter gash.

Used to wake up on match days and dread going to watch the dross we were turning out.

Also everytime i see Horatio from CSI: Miami it reminds me of McLeish!

94814590.jpg

He was cool as fuck in NYPD Blue!

And First Blood in fact.

Big Eck done brilliant with limited resources and if he hadn't done what he had Srachan would have been going for 8 in a row.

PERISH THE THOUGHT

Doing briliiant with Birmingham City

WATP