• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassius Clay was a black supremacist. :wanker:

doh

You missed him on Parkinsons show then?

Seen him a few times on Parkinson, and when he was on he showed what an intelligent person he was, as for being a "black supremacist" I could never begin to imagine what it must have been like growing up a black person in southern United States when he did, even now I would not like to be a black man in that country, so how on earth could you deny him the oppertunity to make his feelings known to the world when he had the platform to do it.

Imo calling him a black supremacist is just belittling the work he done for his cause, after all we are talking about a man who went to prison for the courage of his convictions when many others would have bowed to the yoke.

Ali was an inspiration to me as a boy and continues to be an inspiration to me today in his continuing battle against Parkinsons. :praise:

looking back to the 9iar side there were many, goram, mccall, mccoist, laudrup, but as a lad it was gazza who made the biggest impact on me as a rangers player growing up the style and speed that saw him ease past many a defender was fantastic to see week in week out

Cassius Clay was a black supremacist. :wanker:

doh

You missed him on Parkinsons show then?

Seen him a few times on Parkinson, and when he was on he showed what an intelligent person he was, as for being a "black supremacist" I could never begin to imagine what it must have been like growing up a black person in southern United States when he did, even now I would not like to be a black man in that country, so how on earth could you deny him the oppertunity to make his feelings known to the world when he had the platform to do it.

Imo calling him a black supremacist is just belittling the work he done for his cause, after all we are talking about a man who went to prison for the courage of his convictions when many others would have bowed to the yoke.

Ali was an inspiration to me as a boy and continues to be an inspiration to me today in his continuing battle against Parkinsons. :praise:

When he was a member of the Nation of Islam he was certainly embroiling himself in a movement which could be described as a black supremacist one, and he expressed some very dodgy views, but as you say, who could blame him under the circumstances? As with Malcolm X, he realised the holes in that logic, that the NOI was a hate organisation and full of shit, and like Malcolm X he became a proper muslim when he got his priorities right. I have no doubt that Ali had a lot of resentment for whites as a young man. He would have been mad not to. At least he moved on from it.

Regardless, he was a terrific boxer and a sporting icon.