Levein the BBC pundit

outlaw69uk

Now,,,

Levein, a man linked in some places with managing us, and, that was something that sent chills down me just thinking about it, however...

Yesterday, when he spoke, he came over well. He seems to be tactically aware, and, actually showed some fair mindedness. Quite surprised me as I have always had him down as a tool. He also managed to get a win with the national side over the Czechs, which, is not a bad effort in its own right, never mind in a home friendly. He is also not really afraid to speak his mind, and, defend his club/players, which again is a good thing for me.

If he continues in this vein, I would be less against him coming in down the line whenever Walter decides to call it a day, and, beginning to get the feeling he will become a pretty good manager in time. Plus, there is a weird sort of thing about it given Walter came from Dundee Utd as well.

Ach, who knows, just felt like getting this out :wink:

Yesterday was the first time I have seen him commenting on a game and he was much better than the usual commentators. He definitely made a lot more sense than that idiot Pat Nevin. I was disappointed that the half time talk featured the Scotland game rather than showing some of the crowd and atmosphere at Hampden.

Czech Republic are a spent force, it wasn't a big a win as some would like you to believe.

Craig Levien is overrated, and the thought of him ever taking the managerial seat at Ibrox does send shivers down my spine.

Always been my opinion of him, but, there was something about the way he spoke yesterday, before, during and after, that was different to the norm. Hard to pin down exactly what it was.

He must have been making sense, nevin kept trying to butt in haha

Never heard him as a pundit, only ever heard his interviews (mainly after games). Don't like him, although I have sat, and taken in a good few of his training sessions at St. Andrews Uni (where Dundee United train) and was pretty impressed.

Don't particularly rate him as a manager, he's not done anything of note, and his results, with almost the same strength of squad as Aberdeen, is no better than Jimmy Calderwood.

Czech Republic are a spent force, it wasn't a big a win as some would like you to believe.

Craig Levien is overrated, and the thought of him ever taking the managerial seat at Ibrox does send shivers down my spine.

Always been my opinion of him, but, there was something about the way he spoke yesterday, before, during and after, that was different to the norm. Hard to pin down exactly what it was.

I thought half the things he was saying was less the flattering, before kickoff he was saying Wilson was lightweight and lacked some basic knowledge. Now for a Scotland Manager that is a less than flattering thing to say about a 18 year old boy who is currently holding down a 1st team spot at Scotland No1 team. He should be getting praised to the hill on the job he is currently doing.

Plus the less said about him not even making the Scotland Squad, is for another debate.

But if we are going on who has more knowledge of the game between Levein and Nevin, it's no really a fair comparison and surly no a benchmark for the Managerial job at our club.

Never heard him as a pundit, only ever heard his interviews (mainly after games). Don't like him, although I have sat, and taken in a good few of his training sessions at St. Andrews Uni (where Dundee United train) and was pretty impressed.

Don't particularly rate him as a manager, he's not done anything of note, and his results, with almost the same strength of squad as Aberdeen, is no better than Jimmy Calderwood.

Like I said, I was exactly the same, maybe he has grown up? No idea, but, he came over very differently yesterday (hence the post haha).

What you say about his training goes along with it, he was mentioning things about pace, lack of crossing, and, strengths and weaknesses, and, I dont know, its quite hard to quantify, but, I basically was listening with raised eyebrows.

Maybe his time with the national team will help, he has more players to pick and choose from, so, can see the likes of players and tactics he wants with less restrictions maybe.

I thought half the things he was saying was less the flattering, before kickoff he was saying Wilson was lightweight and lacked some basic knowledge. Now for a Scotland Manager that is a less than flattering thing to say about a 18 year old boy who is currently holding down a 1st team spot at Scotland No1 team. He should be getting praised to the hill on the job he is currently doing.

Plus the less said about him not even making the Scotland Squad, is for another debate.

But if we are going on who has more knowledge of the game between Levein and Nevin, it's no really a fair comparison and surly no a benchmark for the Managerial job at our club.

I took that bit slightly different maybe? Said he wasnt the finished article, which, he isnt, and, also his decision making wasnt up to speed, again its true, and, what a lot have been saying on here for some time. Plus, the red could have been avoided with more experience perhaps. Wilson gets plenty of praise, but, at the same time, needs to remain grounded. He will have learnt from the sending off, and, also listening to that.

I dont mind pointing out weaknesses and development areas.

I took that bit slightly different maybe? Said he wasnt the finished article, which, he isnt, and, also his decision making wasnt up to speed, again its true, and, what a lot have been saying on here for some time. Plus, the red could have been avoided with more experience perhaps. Wilson gets plenty of praise, but, at the same time, needs to remain grounded. He will have learnt from the sending off, and, also listening to that.

Behind closed doors, not out in public. Wilson at 18years old is a outstanding "prospect" and that should always be the line used.

Would you ever here Sir Alex or Walter use that kind of line and bring the boy down in public...

Levien hasn't impressed me one bit.

He is an interesting character, I'll wait and see what he does with Scotland for this next championship campaign before I make a judgement on him. At least he isn't afraid to speak his mind, he does appear to have the respect of players, both when he was at Utd and with Scotland, and for quite a while Utd had been a very big bogey pain in the arse team for us!

There are aspects of his persona which actually reminds me a bit of Walter, but time will tell if he will ever be good enough to manage us? At the time a lot of people were saying Big Eck should never have managed us, but look at the amount of trophies he won on a fairly tight budget and also took us to the last 16 of the CL.

Behind closed doors, not out in public. Wilson at 18years old is a outstanding "prospect" and that should always be the line used.

Would you ever here Sir Alex or Walter use that kind of line and bring the boy down in public...

I half agree with you mate, only half though. :beer1:

And in all fairness, comparing him to Smith or Ferguson, is kinda like my initial comparison with him and nevin :P

I half agree with you mate, only half though. :beer1:

And in all fairness, comparing him to Smith or Ferguson, is kinda like my initial comparison with him and nevin :P

When you are talking about becoming Rangers Manager, only the highest candidates should be considered :P

Not a fan of Levein as a manager at all. He can't be any worse than Burley for the National squad, but that's a different story. Manager of Rangers though? Please no! :anguish:

He's certainly not a potential Rangers manager in my eyes.

Maybe one day he could be a great football manager, who knows.