Naismith to make an impact from now?

Boab

Stevie Naismith finally became a key protagonist in a major cup success for Rangers last Sunday and now he hopes to play a leading role in the charge for more glory.

The former Kilmarnock star had not had the best of fortune at the national stadium since switching to the Light Blues.

But last Sunday it was his pace and precision which set up the chance for Kenny Miller to claim a stunning victory over St Mirren in the Co-operative Insurance Cup Final.

When Naismith joined Rangers in 2007 he was ineligible for the League Cup having played for Killie at Peterhead and therefore missed out on the final that season when Dundee United were beaten on penalties.

He then suffered a dreadful knee injury in the Scottish Cup semi-final that season against St Johnstone which kept him out for eight months.

Naismith was a peripheral character when he got the last five minutes in last season's Scottish Cup Final win over Falkirk.

And having been right out of the picture in recent weeks, it was perhaps a surprise to some that he made the bench at Hampden last Sunday.

However, with 11 minutes remaining and Rangers seemingly in dire straits he was introduced and within four minutes he set up a remarkable victory.

He said: "The instructions were to go on and kept things tight and maybe try to get something on the break.

"Fortunately Davie Weir found me and credit to Kenny and Nacho because they both burst a gut to get into the box and it gave me a target.

"It was just a case of putting the ball in there and hoping that one of them got on the end of it and Kenny did and it won us the Cup.

"It was fantastic to come on and make a contribution because in the last month I have not really been involved and that has been difficult.

"As a player you always want to be involved and hopefully I showed on Sunday that I can bring something to the team and it will stand me in good stead for the remaining matches.

"There could be a chance for me to come into the starting line-up against Dundee United and I hope that's the case.

"The thing is you need to be at your best all the time at Rangers, whether it is in training or in the matches so I know that it's all about hard work.

"When everyone is fit and available there are going to be some unhappy players so you have to take your chance when you get it."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100323/sudden-impact_2254024_2002864

I'm fed up with him tbh, had many chances at the early start of the season and wasn't really impressive. I'd be looking to maybe move on during the summer.

Naismith frustrate me.

bit like Burke, he is potentially very very good - International class almost on peak form.

Needs to do it WAY more often tho.

Fantastic on his day.

The odd couple of decent 10 - 15 minutes every season isn't good enough, needs to start showing a level of consistency before it's to late.

I really can't see him making the grade at Rangers, i hope i'm wrong but i doubt it.

Might be OK as an impact sub but I don't think he is concistent enough to hold down a starting place week in week out.

This was my thoughts as well, when he is in for full games it's hit or miss how his form goes. We have other players who should be picked over him but has proven to have some good performances like the one on Sunday.

there's me thinking by the thread name Boab was actually gonna post something on his own with his own thoughts..... Oh well looks like another Copy, Paste job. Proberly a good thing aswell mind u.

there's me thinking by the thread name Boab was actually gonna post something on his own with his own thoughts..... Oh well looks like another Copy, Paste job. Proberly a good thing aswell mind u.

You blind aswell as fat?

naismith has been a complete disappointment for me. He was supposed to be the next big thing in scottish football but hes rarely produced for us. That nasty injury didnt help of course but he wasnt wonderful before that either. Looks good at times but other times hes useless. Fantastic cross on sunday but he would need to be doing that a lot more often. Even lafferty has scored more goals than him in less appearences.

You blind aswell as fat?

I'm fed up with him tbh, had many chances at the early start of the season and wasn't really impressive. I'd be looking to maybe move on during the summer.

I'm quite interested in diet and nutrition, so I'll look up any link between obesity/overweight people and poor sight (tu) There could be a link, I'm always keen on learning new things.

Clearly, the lad has talent. Just has to show it more often. Injuries are a hard thing to get over.. not just physically, but mentally as well. Look no further than KT.

Looking for much more out of Naismith. Great player -- on his day.