Good/Great Players who would struggle in the SPL?

outlaw69uk

Leads on from the weird slant the Andy Carroll thread took.

Perhaps Messi was a poor (almost) choice, but, still valid I feel as I remember his performance against us at Ibrox, when he had the living daylights frustrated out of him by us. How many other really good players would we like to see, but, ultimately there would be doubts about there ability to "cut it" up here? Especially when you take into account the style of the game, the "quality" of the pitches etc

In addition, we have signed guys like Emmerson, who had "pedigree", yet was poor most of the time. Virtually every French player we signed sucked. Arteta was a cracking wee player, til the rest of the SPL figured you could crunch him out the game in the first 5 mins and he would hide for the rest of it (yet look at him now in England?).

On the flip side, you had "lesser" quality players like Prso, who, absolutely owned up here, as did Laudrup (and, at the time, Michael was considered the far superior of the brothers)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think you can make a judgment of how Messi would do in the SPL based on one game at Ibrox. Even the greats have off days.

The greats can play anywhere

Thats true, but, people dont take the whole thing into account. its not just about the player, who is undoubtably great. But, would he shine at say, Fir Park in Jan? So many shite pitches up here that do tend to leave you no option but to lump it.

Also, a few teams have learned how to shut him down. There are some players, such as Arveladze (criminally under-rated!! but probably cos he looks like Mr Bean), who seemed to be able to do the business anywhere, as did Cannigia, whereas others simply didnt

I would imagine a struggler in scotland would be puyol, due to the way the teams in the spl play. Another i think would struggle would be a winger like aaron lennon, slim and fast usualy means like beasley you spend most of your time getting the shit kicked out you

I don't think you can make a judgment of how Messi would do in the SPL based on one game at Ibrox. Even the greats have off days.

The greats can play anywhere

Thats true, but, people dont take the whole thing into account. its not just about the player, who is undoubtably great. But, would he shine at say, Fir Park in Jan? So many shite pitches up here that do tend to leave you no option but to lump it.

Also, a few teams have learned how to shut him down. There are some players, such as Arveladze (criminally under-rated!! but probably cos he looks like Mr Bean), who seemed to be able to do the business anywhere, as did Cannigia, whereas others simply didnt

Games on the Somme-like pitch at Fir Park are undoubtedly going to be different than what a guy like Messi is used to, but guys like that only need a half inch of space and they can do something majestic with the ball.

Steve Davis isn't the strongest but he doesn't struggle in the SPL...

A great player can play anywhere in my opinion.

you think? i see davis mixing it with the opposition when they try and out muscle him, a very strong and quick player is young davoboogie.png

No truly 'great' player would struggle in the SPL.

(tu)

I think people overstate the physicality of the SPL. It can be physical with teams like St Mirren and the pitches aren't the best but the best get over that. Lionel Messi would run rings round the likes of Jack Ross and Charlie Mulgrew, I don't know why anyone would say otherwise. :anguish: