Good/Great Players who would struggle in the SPL?

outlaw69uk

The last player(s) we had that were close to being 'great' were Albertz, Numan, Gio, De Boer and perhaps Larsson on the other side.

And let's be frank, they absolutely pished it.

All strong player's. (tu)

Not really that much stronger than Messi.

If you watched him more than you clearly do, you'd see that he can hold of players that are bigger and heavier and that he is rarely kicked off the ball.

Go and find a DVD of Barca beating Madrid 6-2 at the Bernabeu if you want some proof of that.

I'd say Messi is stronger than a few of those names you have mentioned, different players, so pretty hard to judge. Larsson was one tough bastard - some will say he was a bit of a diver, but that is different.

Messi is solid, players bounce of him, hit him knee high, and he still goes on, and on. Players lunge at him, by the time they have got off the ground, he is past them. Ramos tried to rugby tackle him in the last El Clasico, he held him off, went through Lass, shimmied past a trailing leg from Kaka, and played the ball into Ibrahimovic, who let the ball run under his foot, and out for a throw in - this was a half fit Messi aswell.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say Messi is stronger than a few of those names you have mentioned, different players, so pretty hard to judge. Larsson was one tough bastard - some will say he was a bit of a diver, but that is different.

Messi is solid, players bounce of him, hit him knee high, and he still goes on, and on. Players lunge at him, by the time they have got off the ground, he is past them. Ramos tried to rugby tackle him in the last El Clasico, he held him off, went through Lass, shimmied past a trailing leg from Kaka, and played the ball into Ibrahimovic, who let the ball run under his foot, and out for a throw in - this was a half fit Messi aswell.

One of his goals from Sunday was a good example of his physique, his second I think. He had a right good tussle on the half way line. It looked like he was going to lose the ball but battled away then went on to score a classic.

It's not only Messi's strength, but his incredible balance which helps him hold off men.

hes awesome ..all left sided so show him onto his right side then hed be fucked.. ahhh .but thats where hes so much better than that his balance pace and close control are second to none ,he is the expection to the rule ..

well i had the the fortune to witness the other exception to that rule .

that was the legend DAVIE COOPER ,anyone else agree that the similarities are scary...

COOPER was as good as messi anyone agree?...have i just started another thread here lol..

It's not only Messi's strength, but his incredible balance which helps him hold off men.

hes awesome ..all left sided so show him onto his right side then hed be fucked.. ahhh .but thats where hes so much better than that his balance pace and close control are second to none ,he is the expection to the rule ..

well i had the the fortune to witness the other exception to that rule .

that was the legend DAVIE COOPER ,anyone else agree that the similarities are scary...

COOPER was as good as messi anyone agree?...have i just started another thread here lol..

Dont think it needs a thread mate, its just a fact. Coop was the man :praise:

The last player(s) we had that were close to being 'great' were Albertz, Numan, Gio, De Boer and perhaps Larsson on the other side.

And let's be frank, they absolutely pished it.

That in itself is quite worrying, thats a fair old time ago

I'd like to see Arteta in the SPL now, certainly not the 'lightweight' player some make him out to be.

So-called weaker players who have done it in the SPL; Beasley (shown that he can handle the physical nature), Brahim Hemdani, JJ, Ronald de Boer, Tore Andre Flo, Peter Lovenkrands, Thomas Buffel, Jeremy Clement, Pedro Mendes... all dubbed lightweight, not strong enough... on here. Can't be arsed naming players from other SPL clubs.

Spanish players make it in the SPL; Cuellar, Novo, Arteta, Aaron wasn't given the chance, so he cannot be mentioned, Ruben Palazeulos (sp), David Fernandez, Fransisco Sandaza...

Marc Crosas has been pretty shit. Spanish players are a lot tougher than people think, as is La Liga.

I agree with that, he is like an altogether different player, perhaps it was is age that was a factor when he was here?

I love Spanish football, still think its far superior in almost every way to the EPL. I dont know if you could say Arteta "made it" when he was with us, but, theres no doubt he would now.

Theres a lot of replies that just kind of say, of course they would. So, that being said, perhaps its the mentality/mindset of the players? Along with the fans and the clubs/game overall? That could be the problem. These kind of questions for me are really interesting, but, people tend to overlook the details and just go with "Messi is great", which, of course, he is! Still a whiner when he doesnt get to play his way tho :lol:

On the other side, which of our current squad could play in say, Spain or Italy? (am leaving England out of this since its teaming with Scots a lot of the time, and, even Steven Fletcher is a premier league striker :BELM: )