Is the Fat Lady Singing?

Frankie

Ten points ahead. Two games in hand. Celtic about to part company with their manager. Celtic fans protesting outside Parkhead. Only the league to concentrate on now. Key players rested and others to return from injury. Fringe players given important match-time.

The reasons are endless for why the fat lady should be singing but, while she may well be clearing her throat, this isn't done and dusted yet. Sure, we have every right to be confident and the players/management team have earned that right with some sterling work this season - in the face of adversity; both financially and in terms of the pressure created with constant speculation over the club's ownership.

However, there is a long way to go yet and a cursory look back at season 2007/08 should frighten every bear who thinks the SPL title has already returned to Ibrox for the 53rd time. Of course the circumstances are different from then - no UEFA Cup run to worry about, no build up of matches and no resurgent Celtic to face twice at Parkhead without the officials that are supposedly helping us now! As such, not winning the league from this position doesn't bear thinking about.

And that is exactly the spur why we need to regroup and stride forward to attain the goal of winning the championship!

Recent months have seen a disjointed Rangers struggle in most games against a variety of opposition. Moreover, despite assurances from the management team and key players, it seems obvious legs are starting to tire and performances are less consistent and of a lower quality from individuals and the team as a whole. That's why the team was changed so markedly at Tannadice last night - we need refreshed and players need rested.

Those imperative changes show clearly that the management team are aware of the stern test that remains between now and the end of May. Away games at Tynecastle, McDiarmid Park, Tannadice (again), Celtic Park, Easter Road and Fir Park are not games that will be won easily - and certainly not with the patchy form we've shown lately. Indeed, those teams who visit Ibrox will be just as eager to ruin any premature party we may have planned. To obtain results, we'll need all our best players to turn up and the fringe lads to contribute as well. Moreover, with the dirty bed sheets out last night at Parkhead, a change of manager there is likely so that could bring the kind of impetuous for Celtic to work hard and improve their results.

Is this a bit of reverse psychology from a bear, confused with the upset of a Scottish Cup loss while laughing at Tony Mowbray disgracefully criticising us for negative, defensive football as his team loses 0-4 to St Mirren? Probably but the caution is genuine and the reasons for it more than valid.

The fat lady isn't singing for this bear then and won't be for a few weeks yet. If we win our next three games by next Saturday evening the position will be a lot clearer though. I urge every Rangers fan to do their utmost to support the team to that goal and beyond. And I urge the players and manager to stand tall, improve your contribution and find the level required to retain the title.

Go and finish the job!

robbo.gif

Frankie not like me to correct you but believe it or not the fans that were outside the piggery last nioght apparently applauded grant when he came out to speak to them......bizzare

If they won last night it was down to seven, difficult game on saturday and what should have been an easier game for the filth at home to Kilmarnock, there was a small bit of pressure building on what , lets be honest, is looking like a jaded squad of players in recent weeks.

Now, and with the nature of last nights defeat for th filth, it's done we've won it IMO. This sellck team will be lucky to pick up five points in the next three games and i think last nights results will push us over the line.

I very rarely predict these things but i think it will be won before the split, possibly aberdeeen in there midden which would be a great place to win the league.

Celtic fans are never the most intelligent of people mate - that's why they'll be happy to have Lennon step in for the time being... ;)

Like you, I think it is over. However, there is still much work to be done and the recent below par performances from the team worries me; not just in terms of this season but for next.

Away games at Tynecastle, McDiarmid Park, Tannadice (again), Celtic Park, Easter Road and Fir Park are not games that will be won easily

On the plus side, if my arithmetic's correct (I am tired ;)) we can afford to lose 5 of them.....

Celtic fans are never the most intelligent of people mate - that's why they'll be happy to have Lennon step in for the time being... ;)

Like you, I think it is over. However, there is still much work to be done and the recent below par performances from the team worries me; not just in terms of this season but for next.

I just think they are a tired looking squad.

I was talking to three of them at Cheltenham and they are apparently getting plenty of days off (well this was the Thursday before the league cup final). In the same way having such a small squad has probably helped us win the league this season but with all the cup replays it doesn't surprise me they are now showing a little fatigue.

I think you may dsee a fresher team on saturday though

I'm comfortable enough that we have the squad (small or not) to win the league although I'm hoping last night showed the manager we can't afford wholesale changes for single matches - never mind the likes of Naismith in central midfield.

Hopefully we won't have the situation of last night where our three first choice midfielders were unavailable as that made a huge difference.

Away games at Tynecastle, McDiarmid Park, Tannadice (again), Celtic Park, Easter Road and Fir Park are not games that will be won easily

On the plus side, if my arithmetic's correct (I am tired ;)) we can afford to lose 5 of them.....

Not checking your maths mate but if we lose 5 games, then I'm not sure my ticker could take it... :(

Not checking your maths mate but if we lose 5 games, then I'm not sure my ticker could take it... :(

There is that.....

Frankie is right weve got to get over the line (the sooner the better IMO),didnt think we would win lastnight once i seen the team but would rather rest players after a hard game on sunday and lose a cup tie than play your best team and risk extratime and have tierd players for a big game at lunchtime on saturday (bloody workin so i'll miss it :dry: )

weve got a lot of players coming back for the jambos game so i think we'll nick a win plus get revenage on united next week,tims might slip up on sunday away to hibs who need a win to help ease big yogis neck and no better game for them to do it.

5 more wins maybe less to be champs

2 in a row isnt far away :21::uk: