4-5-1

GOAT

I can't believe I'm about to say this but.....

Next season I hope Smith plays 451 in Europe. It worked, I don't care if it was dull, boring or whatever, point is, it worked. The league is different ofcourse, but Europe next season, I don't want to be embarrassed the way we were this season, I want respectable scorelines and who knows what could happen.

You can play 4-3-3 and still do well in Europe and some may say how? Well its simple. Attack with 3 forwards and a midfield push up when you have the ball. Without it? The system goes to 4-5-1. Its all about disire, work rate and the will to have some ambition on it.

It doesn't need to be 4-5-1 all game.

Next season I hope Smith plays 451 in Europe. It worked, I don't care if it was dull, boring or whatever, point is, it worked. The league is different ofcourse, but Europe next season, I don't want to be embarrassed the way we were this season, I want respectable scorelines and who knows what could happen.

id tend to agree, 4-5-1 got us to a uefa cup final, 4-4-2 made us whipping boys. i know its dull but it sure is effective

I think a 4-5-1 when used properly can be a good formation. The only problem is when attacking the players have to change to a more 4-3-3. During the Uefa Cup Final season I dont think we did this and this is why the alot of fans made such an issue over it. Must say but anything is better than repeating some of the shocking results fae this years European run :disappointment:

Hold on, am I missing something?

We played the 4-5-1 vs Stuttgart away, 4-5-1 to Sevilla at home, 4-5-1 to Urinea at home, 4-5-1 to Urinea away, a 3-4-3 to Stuttgart home - which is a great formation IMO - and back to 4-5-1 away to Sevilla.

So where did we change to be Total Football?

Hold on, am I missing something?

We played the 4-5-1 vs Stuttgart away, 4-5-1 to Sevilla at home, 4-5-1 to Urinea at home, 4-5-1 to Urinea away, a 3-4-3 thats a great formation IMO at home and back to 4-5-1 away to Sevilla.

So where did we change to be Total Football?

3-4-3 ye jokin?

weir boogie n who? sasa?

we would be ripped a new arsehole v teams in europe

I'd consider 4-5-1 against Hearts at the weekend, never mind Europe.

Mind you, with our full compliment (almost) back in midfield, I expect 4-4-2.

I have no problem with 4-5-1 played properly, but we often end up with a 5-5-0 and that looks awful. Plus, as that CL campaign proved, it isn't successful.

i only want a 4-5-1 if we play it like le guen's version

4-2-3-1

at times we looked like tearing teams apart, remember his first game against well, could have been 6 up in the first half

the problem with smiths 4-5-1 is that our 5 man midfield seem to sit in deep, and invite other teams onto us

3 attacking midfielders pushes the opponents back,

Everybody's fine with the 4-5-1 now but come next season if we get hammered it will be back to moaning and bitchin, tbh I don't mind the "negative" tactics, it does well for us, why do we have to win games with amazing football when were doing fine and getting by with 4-5-1 ?

I'd consider 4-5-1 against Hearts at the weekend, never mind Europe.

Mind you, with our full compliment (almost) back in midfield, I expect 4-4-2.

I have no problem with 4-5-1 played properly, but we often end up with a 5-5-0 and that looks awful. Plus, as that CL campaign proved, it isn't successful.

why against hearts ?

The way we play 4-5-1 just means the opposition are allowed to attack at will and that our idea of attack is a long high ball to an unsupported striker which results in the opposition attacking at will. t home and in every game in the spl we should be limiting the opposition by causing them problems in their half.

4-5-1 in the Uefa run worked to an extent because we had a holding midfielder who could actually read the game, make interceptions and retain possession because he could make accurate passes.Even then when you recall the amount of shots allowed at goal and the heroics of McGregor,Cuellar and Papac did it really stifle the opposition?

4-2-3-1

at times we looked like tearing teams apart, remember his first game against well, could have been 6 up in the first half

the problem with smiths 4-5-1 is that our 5 man midfield seem to sit in deep, and invite other teams onto us

You stole my words there mate, 4-2-3-1 with 2 holding midfielders (Thomson & Edu/McCulloch) & then 3 attacking midfielders (Beasley, Davis & Novo) or (Naismith, Fleck & Lafferty). Then Miller or someone equally better suited to the role up top. Steven Fletcher for instance ;-)

4-5-1 doesn't have to be defensive but to play the system you need a strong frontman and pacy players who can break. I'm not sure we have that in our team at the moment. Another option could be a 4-4-1-1 with someone like Fleck playing just off the lone striker. McLeish employed that formation in the 05/06 Champions League with Buffel playing just off Lovenkrands

4-2-3-1

You stole my words there mate, 4-2-3-1 with 2 holding midfielders (Thomson & Edu/McCulloch) & then 3 attacking midfielders (Beasley, Davis & Novo) or (Naismith, Fleck & Lafferty). Then Miller or someone equally better suited to the role up top. Steven Fletcher for instance ;-)

I think a formation like this would be suited to our domestic games as well as Europe. A nice balance of defence and offence and can be easily adjusted in the match to lean more towards one than the other for when we're down or up a goal.

We don't have a striker capable of playing the lone role!

Miller has played it on many occassions and it doesn't work, he is hopeless (I now await the Italy game response). Boyd, and Lafferty are brutal up on their own.