Managers Mail

BLUEDIGNITY

Focus now falls on title race

OUR focus today returns to the SPL after what was a disappointing result at Tannadice last night.

The main target in any season, for us, is without doubt the league championship - although that's not to take away from a cup defeat.

We want to do well in all the tournaments we play in and after being 3-1 up at Ibrox, you would have expected us to see that game out and win.

That is ultimately what has cost us a place in the semi-finals, not our performance last night.

I felt we played well at Tannadice but we didn't handle ourselves well in the first game.

From our point of view, we're disappointed but credit to Dundee United, they took their opportunity well.

There is no time to dwell on the defeat though as we find ourselves in a run of four games in 10 days at the moment.

Our next match comes round on Saturday and it will be another difficult fixture against a Hearts side that have done well recently under Jim Jefferies.

We know we are in a strong position in the title race but results last night at Tannadice and in St Mirren's victory over Celtic show just how tough it can be to go to other SPL venues and get good results.

We face two very difficult away matches in the space of a few days at Tynecastle and then in Perth on Tuesday so there is a lot of football still to be played this season.

On Wednesday we got a good response from a group of players who hadn't played too many games and came in to do a good job for us.

That is the kind of response we have been getting from our squad this season and the kind I hope to see again this weekend.

It will be another difficult match but we should be able to welcome a few more players back to our squad.

Lee McCulloch and Kevin Thomson are available again after serving suspensions at Tannadice and I would hope Steven Davis will be available too.

They have been big players for us this season and it is important that our squad has a good depth again in such a busy period of matches.

Walter Smith

:sherlock: