Kevin Thomson wants new deal at Rangers

WilliamFyfe

KEVIN THOMSON has pleaded with Walter Smith to extend his stay at champions-elect Rangers.

Midfielder Thommo bounced back from his Co-op Cup Final red card in the 4-1 win over Hearts - the Scotland star's 100th game for Gers. His contract ends next summer, but he wants to start extension talks as soon as possible.

Thomson said: "I only have one year left on my contract after this season. Fingers crossed we can sit down and talk about things in the future.

"It was a proud day to play my 100th game for Rangers. Everyone knows how much it means to me. I've been unlucky through injury not to play more games, but I feel fit and strong now."

Thomson, 25, was one of Smith's first signings when the boss returned to Gers in January 2007.

The £2million ex-Hibs ace has been a midfield mainstay and won every domestic honour with Gers. He played in the 2008 UEFA Cup Final and would have made many more appearances but for cruciate surgery.

Now Thomson, who is a contender for the Gers captaincy when David Weir hangs up his boots, wants to stay on.

John Fleck penned a new three-year deal last week and Danny Wilson is expected to sign an extension this week.

Nacho Novo and Kirk Broadfoot are pondering new deals, as is top scorer Kris Boyd.

Smith said: "It's good that John has signed on and we hope Danny will do the same.

"I'm delighted that the young boys are staying with us."

Thomson also hit back at his old Hibs manager Tony Mowbray's claims, before being sacked by Celtic, that Gers were negative under Smith.

He said: "I don't think it is negative. I've heard other people say it is.

"We go out and play the way the manager wants us to play. We enjoy playing for him.

"He has proved time and time again he is the best manager by a mile in the country.

"We have scored lots of goals and not had the credit we deserve.

"But you won't get any player at the club disagreeing with the manager's tactics.

"I didn't expect to be so far ahead of Celtic. We were sure Mogga would bring in quality players.

"I'm sure the Celtic boys enjoyed working with him, but it's a results-driven business."

Thomson want's a new deal which is brilliant and Wilson is to hopefully sing on this week with Novo, Broadfoot and Boyd yet to sign deals offered to them

(tu)

KEVIN THOMSON reached a century of matches for Rangers on Saturday and now he wants to ensure he plays 100 more.

The combative midfield star has a year left on his contract and he would love to sit down and discuss a new deal.

Thomson said: "I didn't know it was my 100th appearance for the club against Hearts until after the game so it made it quite a proud day.

"I would probably have played even more games had I not been unlucky with injuries.

"But I'm feeling fit and strong and looking forward to turning out in as many more as possible.

"Another 100? I hope so. I only have a year left on my contract after this season so fingers crossed we can sit down and talk about things in the future."

Thomson was an important figure as Rangers produced a terriric second half performance to win 4-1 at Tynecastle and cement their considerable SPL lead.

He also feels the performance flies in the face of criticism from certain quarters - most notanly former Celtic manager Tony Mowbray - that Rangers play negative football.

He said: "I don't think it is negative. I've heard other people say it is. We go out and play the way the manager wants us to play. We enjoy playing for him.

"He has proved time and time again he is the best manager by a mile in the country.

"We have scored lots of goals and not had the credit we deserve. But you won't get any player at the club disagreeing with the manager's tactics."

From the club's website (tu)

Good to see thommo comming out in the press telling everyone he is after a new contract. He's played well since coming back into the team in January, must be one of the first names on team sheet for Walter I would think.

Don't think there is anyone at the club bar David Weir who is captain material.

Would like to see Kevin Thomson keep on improving, consistantly perform, stay injruy free, and sign a new deal.

Would like to see Kevin Thomson keep on improving, consistantly perform, stay injruy free, and sign a new deal.

Not trying to be funny but if Weir decides to call it a day I honestly think Walter will give the armband to Lee McCulloch.

Not trying to be funny but if Weir decides to call it a day I honestly think Walter will give the armband to Lee McCulloch.

I cringe at the thought :anguish:

He would give it to Kevin.

Hasn't Walter already said Kevin Thomson will/can be a future captain for Rangers.

so do i :anguish:

Don't like the thought either mate, just given Walters appreciation of Lee can see this being the case. scary thought.

Lee McCulloch shouldn't be a first team starter next season. Edu, Davis, and Thomson have been better (in recent games, and weeks), they are all better players, and should be in the team before him.

We should be looking to bring in a right sided midfielder which would allow Davis to play in the center, with Edu, Thomson, and McCulloch fighting it out for the other central position. No doubt we'd see McCulloch on the left tho...

As for Thomson, a good end to the season, pre-season, and ready to hit it off from the start of next season. I'm expecting big things from him, if he can stay injury-free!?

Lee McCulloch shouldn't be a first team starter next season. Edu, Davis, and Thomson have been better (in recent games, and weeks), they are all better players, and should be in the team before him.

We should be looking to bring in a right sided midfielder which would allow Davis to play in the center, with Edu, Thomson, and McCulloch fighting it out for the other central position. No doubt we'd see McCulloch on the left tho...

As for Thomson, a good end to the season, pre-season, and ready to hit it off from the start of next season. I'm expecting big things from him, if he can stay injury-free!?

After everyone has signed new deals, a right sided midfielder is what our focus should be on. Although Davis will win POTY and he has done well on the right, we need him in the centre.