Greatest Sports Commentary Ever

"There are some people on the pitch. They think it's all over" - Kenneth Wolstenholme.

That is possibly what most people think of when the greatest ever sports commentary is mentioned. However, ladies and gentlemen, I give you this...

"We are the best in the world! We are the best in the world! We have beaten England 2-1 in football!! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten England! England, birthplace of giants. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me"

"Maggie Thatcher, I have a message for you in the middle of the election campaign. I have a message for you: We have knocked England out of the football World Cup. Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in the boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!" - Bjorge Lillelien

Any other competitors?

One I'll always remember is when my Belgian team reached the European Cup Winner's Cup final at Wembley, the commentator got on the field just when the fans stormed the pitch, people were crowding him everywhere and he comes out with:

'Watch out for those cables, they're state property' :lol:

"And do you know what? Manchester may not be big enough."

Good call pal!

Jon Champion: Rangers are that close, score now and they are in the final.

Peter Drury: Nacho Novo and he knows that. I mean he's had a shocker since he's came on hasn't he, Vieri? The earlier miss, nothing went for him after that and that is just wild.

Jon Champion: And they are wild. Nacho Novo with one kick of the ball to take Rangers to Manchester. The ball isn't sat on the spot. Manchester brace yourself... Rangers are coming! Scotland will have its big night as well. The Scots are heading for Manchester and you know what? Manchester may not be big enough.

- ITV4 commentary on the night Rangers made it to the UEFA Cup Final.

Good call pal!

Peter Drury: Nacho Novo and he knows that. I mean he's had a shocker since he's came on hasn't he, Vieri? The earlier miss, nothing went for him after that and that is just wild.

Jon Champion: And they are wild. Nacho Novo with one kick of the ball to take Rangers to Manchester. The ball isn't sat on the spot. Manchester brace yourself... Rangers are coming! Scotland will have its big night as well. The Scots are heading for Manchester and you know what? Manchester may not be big enough.

Peter Drury was the main commentator and Jim Beglin was his co-commentator. (tu)

Good call pal!

Peter Drury was the main commentator and Jim Beglin was his co-commentator. (tu)

I was just going to say that. Clive Tyldesley and John Champion are getting all of Peter Drury's credit in this thread. He was a brilliant commentator right through the UEFA cup run. Good old Pete.

Good call pal!

Still get goose bumps watching that!!

Not technically a sport but Jim Ross from the wrestling used to always come out with belters. Good old J.R.

"AS GOD IS MY WITNESS, HE IS BROKEN IN HALF!"

- Undertaker vs Mankind, Hell in a Cell at King of the Ring 1998

Legendary.