Managers Mail

We Must Improve

MY players haven't let themselves down on too many occasions this season but I think everyone will agree they did in Perth two days ago.

They started badly and their approach to the game, especially in the first half, wasn't what it should have been.

St Johnstone showed greater endeavour and their work rate was excellent but we never matched that at all.

As such, we got exactly what we deserved from the game and were ultimately well beaten on a night when we were looking for far more. We could have no excuses.

Now, looking ahead to this weekend's game with Hamilton, it is important we show the same desire to win that our opponents demonstrated in midweek.

Our players have done that very consistently this season but their will to win was missing at McDiarmid Park and we must rectify that.

We're at a stage of the campaign where we have to get back to our best form to ensure we are as successful as we wish to be.

Of course, we are still 10 points clear in the championship with a game in hand and looking at the bigger picture, we remain in a very healthy position.

But we have to look at our most recent performance, identify why things went wrong and make sure we make up for the fact it wasn't good enough.

We have worked extremely hard to create a winning mentality at this club over the last three years and we don't like it when other teams get the better of us.

I am confident that will show against Accies and I don't think we'll have any problem with getting a good reaction from our players. I've no doubt about that.

It is vital we put what happened last time out behind us and put on a good performance that gets us three points and enhances our chances of winning the championship.

Walter Smith

:sherlock: