UEFA Cup final 08

dmac456

i was in pic grdns about 12 oclock anybody rem the young zenit fan on top of the awning wavin a massive flag then gettin bottled for his troubles rnssian bstds

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

after watching ties the nite and teams that are fightin it out dont you think our achievement in gettin there even though our style of play was horrible at times got to much negative press imo fantastic achievement with ltd resources .still a proud bear and what a couple of days watp

thought so at the time and haven't wavered since - miraculous achievement by management and team. thoroughly enjoyed my day in manchester until the drunk/drugged fuckwit miniscule minority unwittingly fucked our reputation. then the c*nts at the hotel wouldnt serve me a drink at 11pm after id stood in the freezing cold waiting for a taxi for a fucking hour. fucking mancunians - deserve what they got that night :craphead:

Was so very disheartened and disappointed with our side's "performance" in that final - no spark or fire, just timid rabbits awed to have made it there. It's been said many times in the wake of this week's loss to Saints, but if you're going to lose a match, for God's sake at least go down fighting. What made it even worse was that the final was on the day of my eldest daughter's 16th birthday, which put me in a rank rotten mood and in dutch with the wifie. I will never be able to forget that game, try as I might. :anguish:

The thing is we could have opened up and got absolutely raped and we would be sitting saying that Walter should have just played it the way we were before.

It's all hindsight and tbh I was more than happy enough to just be there. It's incredible that we made it through when you watch the likes of the Bremen game :lol: !

True, we done well to get there and Zenit had bags of talent in their team. What a great few days though!

Great to be there. I had an exam the next day so said I wasn't drinkin. That was until there wasa traffic jam 20 mins into the 5 hour journey and the first budweiser got cracked up at 6.20am. Got done there and all the shops had ran out of drink. had to make do with bottles of rosy wine from the Tesco next to Piccadilly Gardens. Great experience being down there.

Disappointing at the end but Zenit were an outstanding side. We punched above our weight the whole tournament and Smith was right to play the same way which had got us there in the first place. All ifs and buts but in the end we just weren't good enough. The shite at the end left a sour taste in the mouth though. Half the people down there weren't real fans. Fuck i know folk that were at the game and hadn't been to a match all season but 'daddy' had paid 3 grand or something and got them a ticket.

All in all great to say 'I was there' but if Im being honest I much preferred Lisbon in the quarters both in terms of atmosphere and the result obviously

The thing is we could have opened up and got absolutely raped and we would be sitting saying that Walter should have just played it the way we were before.

It's all hindsight and tbh I was more than happy enough to just be there. It's incredible that we made it through when you watch the likes of the Bremen game :lol: !

Its easy to hindsight but tbh I look at as when the subs took place, should Boyd or Novo started, the fact we didn't win etc

Winning is everything, 2nd is nothing.

Its easy to hindsight but tbh I look at as when the subs took place, should Boyd or Novo started, the fact we didn't win etc

The fact is that we were punching above our weight the whole tournament and the facts are that Zenit had the likes of Arshavin in their team would have cut us open if we had went all out attack.

The fact is that we were punching above our weight the whole tournament and the facts are that Zenit had the likes of Arshavin in their team would have cut us open if we had went all out attack.

I'm not saying we should have went 3 up-front but I think Walter's hesitation/conservatism was our downfall.

After all, Nacho was brilliant the weekend before the City of Manchester vs Utd.

I'm not saying we should have went 3 up-front but I think Walter's hesitation/conservatism was our downfall.

After all, Nacho was brilliant the weekend before the City of Manchester vs Utd.

Walter's conservatism got us to the final in the first place

Thats also true. But the same trick doesn't always work.

Thats also true. But the same trick doesn't always work.

Well Walter Smith got paid to make those decisions and di a fuckin tremendous job getting us there. i never thought I would see my team in a European final so I'll be grateful to him for that. Look at the team we had that night. We had Kirk Broadfoot playing in European final FFS. But hey lets go gong ho n cut open 4 or 5 times n be a laughing stock

Well Walter Smith got paid to make those decisions and di a fuckin tremendous job getting us there. i never thought I would see my team in a European final so I'll be grateful to him for that. Look at the team we had that night. We had Kirk Broadfoot playing in European final FFS. But hey lets go gong ho n cut open 4 or 5 times n be a laughing stock

I didn't say or was making out we should have went 'gung ho' but you seem to be determined to think I'm saying that, no offence.

Oh aye, and Kirk in Manchester! I was behind that goal in the first half where we were defending - he not only backed off tremendously to anyone coming at him but invited Arshavin into the Box for a gander many a time!

Point is Smith went with the tactics that got us there in the first place. It was a winning formula. It was brutal to watch but it was effective.

On another point does anyone else realise that that 2-0 win in Lisbon was the last time we won a match in Europe. Now thats fuckin scary

A major anti climax all round.

There were too many arseholes who had never been at a Rangers game in their lives in the city centre.

Bremen,Lisbon and Florence were a million times better.

Full agree with that statement

A major anti climax all round.

There were too many arseholes who had never been at a Rangers game in their lives in the city centre.

Bremen,Lisbon and Florence were a million times better.

Full agree with that statement

will take that day to my grave with me - what a day it was, a 6am start from glasgow central in the olf virgin train.... sneaked a wee carry oot on the train, got off at manchester and drank all day long... was a great atmoshphere at albert square......

obviously gutted at the final result, i thought we could have went for it more, zenit were a better team, simple... but we did have our chances also, escpecialy the jcd chance..... just wasn't meant to be, but the day out, and the fellow bears made that one hell of a day out!!!! we will probably never have another day like that in my lifetime, and for that i am essentially grateful to be there a support the best club in thw world!!!

WE ARE THE POEPLE!!!