Walter Smith Could Stay On Without A Contract

TheNuts

Walter Smith has suggested he would be prepared to remain Rangers manager next season - even if that means continuing without a contract.

Asked whether it was possible a new campaign might begin with him still working on a week-to-week basis, Smith said: "I suppose it is.

"I wouldn't like to see it happening. But I don't look at it from my point of view, I look at it from the club's."

Rangers have been struggling to offer new contracts because of a £31m debt.

And the club, under pressure from their bank, are continuing their search for new owners.

"We have made it quite clear that we will work until things are clarified," said Smith, who has been working without a contract along with his backroom team.

That could even be the case if the club adhere to a plan to not sign players in the summer.

"It's not a plan I would like to see carried out," added Smith. "But it's there, so we know exactly what we would be doing in the summer - nothing."

Rangers lead the Scottish Premier League match by 10 points from city rivals Celtic and could stretch that further should they win their game in hand, at home to Aberdeen on Wednesday.

And Dons boss Mark McGhee paid tribute to Smith who, due to financial restrictions, has not signed a player in the last three transfer windows.

"Nothing surprises me about Walter Smith," he told the club's official website. "He is the top man in Scotland by a stretch.

"His experience and record is way above everyone else's and he understands the job he is in better than we do from the outside, if you know what I mean.

"I think Walter was the man to take on the challenge this season."

The ongoing search for a new owner at Ibrox has cast doubt on Smith's future at the club, but McGhee believes that if the conditions are right then he he will stay on to have another go at the Champions League next season.

"You would imagine that if people there made Walter feel wanted then he will find it difficult to leave," he said.

"He loves the job, the Champions League looks like coming next season and he will want backed in that.

"He will need a decent team for the qualifying stages of the Champions League, but if he gets all of that then I don't see any reason why he won't be there."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8606724.stm

great news (tu)

i find it incredible that the management team are working without a contract and without pay right now.

its not other managers that should follow suit, its the players!

I'm not sure how it works, but I'd presume they're still being paid.

They are getting paid! Its just without being tied down, if Liverpool came in for him say, we wouldnt be entitled to any compensation, also if he was sacked, we wouldnt have to pay out for the rest of his contract.

It was a deal agreed to allow whoever buys the club the opportunity to get rid of the management without having to fork out for 3 years of contract or whatever.

I have a great deal of respect for Smith and he's obviously brought us plenty of success, wouldn't like to see him go any time soon. I mean just think of all the tims that wanted rid of Strachan only to get Mowbray or Aberdeen getting rid of Calderwood for McGhee, you don't let a manager go that's doing well enough.

good man walter, this is he or aint he getting paid dispute, i guess he wont be getting payed next term if this is the end, so he will be doing next term for nowt otherwise it would have to be some sort of contract.

shows the iron grip that rangers has on people

They are getting paid! Its just without being tied down, if Liverpool came in for him say, we wouldnt be entitled to any compensation, also if he was sacked, we wouldnt have to pay out for the rest of his contract.

It was a deal agreed to allow whoever buys the club the opportunity to get rid of the management without having to fork out for 3 years of contract or whatever.

Good point.