Does anyone know our best midfield?

papaguy51

We are two games away from winning the SPL, which makes my next statement more surprising.

I don't think anyone actually knows for definite what our best midfield is. Look at the options we have;

Davis

Thomson

Edu

McCulloch

Novo

Beasley

Lafferty

Naismith

While you can almost guarantee our defence and attack, our midfield changes sometimes from game to game, sometimes every three or four games.

Does Walter Smith know our best midfield? Does anyone know our best midfield? We have so many players in there that some are bound to go in the summer, but how should we be starting next year?

We are two games away from winning the SPL, which makes my next statement more surprising.

I don't think anyone actually knows for definite what our best midfield is. Look at the options we have;

Davis

Thomson

Edu

McCulloch

Novo

Beasley

Lafferty

Naismith

While you can almost guarantee our defence and attack, our midfield changes sometimes from game to game, sometimes every three or four games.

Does Walter Smith know our best midfield? Does anyone know our best midfield? We have so many players in there that some are bound to go in the summer, but how should we be starting next year?

See this is a great question because it depends on a number of things, form, compatibility, skill and the opposition

From that list I believe our most talented midfield would be

Beasley Thomson Edu Davis

But I would prefer to have Davis in the centre so you need to drop either Thomson or Edu to accomodate... then you need a right sided player. Beasley can play on either wing, so can Novo so then you revert to Decembers Midfield of

Beasley Edu/Thomson Davis Novo

But Beasley struggles sometimes against the hammer throwers....

ah fuck it.... the short answer is NO

IMO if Edu can play like he did vs the sheep last night. Then davis out right would be okay for me. The triangles him davis and miller played all night were fantastic, the balls he played down the middle were great too. He was everywhere on the park and with him doing this and setting the pace early on it let davis basicly having a free role. the problem for me is the left midfield. we have no one with any consistency but on his day beasley is the best player we have out there. IMO Our best midfield is ::

:davis: :edu: :thomson: :beasley:

In our near-quadruple season we got by without a left midfielder/winger and we mostly played McCulloch there for his height from our own goal kicks.

Most bears were of the opinion that, with money to spend, Walter had to bring in a left midfielder/winger as a priority. Despite signing 8/9 players that summer, none were genuine left midfielders/wingers.

We have since seen our famous 3 transfer-less windows come and go and still nothing for this problem position. Just about everybody has been tried there including McCulloch, Whittaker, Beasley, Novo, Lafferty, Naismith, Miller, Smith, Fleck, and no doubt others I cant think of just now.

All I can really say with any certainty, from my POV, is that the two best central midfielders we have are Davis and Edu, with Thomson as a more than able deputy.

The fact we have played all this season without that partnership actually playing together in central midfield and still pished the title is amazing and compliments the manager's skills in putting winning teams out on the park.

As Beasley is the only natural wide player we have in the squad, he has to go into the "best midfield" category despite being in and out of the team with injuries and loss of form for most of his time with us. We can see he has the quality, we would all just like to see it more often.

I dont know if Walter knows what is his best midfield if all were fit and in form, but the beauty of the game is we all can have a different opinion on it and nobody can prove their opinion is the correct one, as it will always depend on form and the opposition, tactics, the shape of the team, and who else is playing in defence and up front.

I still cant see many voting for McCulloch though!!

I would like to go on a different tangent here.It might sound weird but my theory is that Whittaker is a liability at RB. so I would like to see us buy a good RB who can actually defend and not get caught out of position ( like at Aberdeen's goal yesterday )

Whittaker can defend when he is tight on a player so I would put him at right midfield for his attacking ability, bring Davis into CM along with Thomson and Edu at LM.

We would have mobility with 4 players who aren't static because they can interchange roles when needed.The problem with our midfield at the moment is that we have no flexibility when things need tuning and we get sussed out too easy for my liking because opponents know that if they shut down Davis, we are snookered.

It depends on the opponent, imo.

Our central pairing, if we put Davis out wide, has to include Thomson. I reckon if it's a more physical game, we need McCulloch, but if it's a quicker game where we need the work rate and athleticism of players, we need Edu in there.

Why does everyone keep saying Beasley?? He is fucking gash!!

Five good games in 3 years isn't good enough!

Davis Edu Thomson Naismith

Edu because he looks pretty good since coming back and is eager to get forward and support. Only just in front of McCulloch who has done well for us this season!

And Naismith only because we have no one for the left. Beasley - pish, Novo - inconsistent, Lafferty - Striker, Naismith - trier!

Don't rate beasly at all tbh. He is so inconsistent. He is fast but he goes down far too easy and his runs are shocking.

Bougherra Davis Thomson/Edu Lafferty

Bougherra on the wing? Really?

Don't rate beasly at all tbh. He is so inconsistent. He is fast but he goes down far too easy and his runs are shocking.

Bougherra Davis Thomson/Edu Lafferty

Bougherra on the wing? Really?

Why not ???? He is one of the quickest players we have, he can get past players and he can deliver a good cross. Plus most of the time he plays he's basically playing midfield anyway! If he is there next season put him right mid, webster and wilson at the back! everybodys happy.

Our best midfield should have Steve Davis in the centre and then work from there. Build your midfield around your best midfielder and then it's a toss-up between Thomson or Edu for the second start in the centre or does no-1 else think thats logical??

Lee McCulloch and Steven Naismith would be nowhere near the starting line-up!!

All comes down to the signings we made back in 2007/08 - too many central midfielders and strikers which were not needed.

Poor management - and for those who say we are 13 points clear, on on the verge of 2 in a row, look at the bigger picture.

All comes down to the signings we made back in 2007/08 - too many central midfielders and strikers which were not needed.

Poor management - and for those who say we are 13 points clear, on on the verge of 2 in a row, look at the bigger picture.

its too big , can it be broken down into sections ?

we need two full backs , two wingers ( 4 really) and a CH t partner boogie , he goes we need 2

Our midfielders are far too inconsistent in comparison to our other positions on the park to have a definite four.

Almost every week we know McGregor, Whittaker, Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Davis, Boyd and Miller will play.

But those three other positions - the two centre midfielders and the left winger - is debatable, the left wing position in fact we haven't had a settled started for years now!