Manchester United to sign Mexican striker

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=767869&sec=transfers&cc=5901

Manchester United have announced a deal to sign striker Javier Hernandez from Mexican side Chivas for an undisclosed fee.

Javier Hernandez: Maybe set to feature at the World Cup for Mexico.

GettyImages

Javier Hernandez: Maybe set to feature at the World Cup for Mexico.

Hernandez, 21, has agreed personal terms and passed a medical but is still awaiting a work permit. Should a permit be granted, he will join United in July after the Mexico international returns from the World Cup.

As part of the deal, United will play a friendly at the Chivas Stadium ahead of the 2010-11 season.

Sir Alex Ferguson told the club's official website: "I am delighted to reach agreement with Chivas to bring such an exciting young striker, who has been in such prolific form for both his club and his country.

"He will be a great addition to our squad and we look forward to welcoming our first Mexican player in the summer. We are equally excited to play our first game in Mexico, opening the magnificent new Chivas Stadium in July."

Chicharito, or "Little Pea", as he is known, has scored four goals in his first four games for Mexico.

I've seen this guy play a handful of times for Mexico and Chivas, and he looks like quite the prospect. I'm pretty sure he led the Mexican league in scoring last season, and he's one to watch in the World Cup.

I think I saw him once for Mexico's U-20 side on a tournament on EuroSport.

Pretty small, but very quick and a lovely finisher apparently.

Time will tell, not seen anything like enough of the guy to make a fair comment. And I'm not even sure it was the same guy I saw :lol:

was reading about this guy somewhere but can't remember , from what i read he is tipped for a hot future but we shall have to see how he adapts if he does , wonder if he will get a work permit :rolleyes: unlike Vela who had to be loaned to spain for 3 years :D -im not cynical at all

Manchester United have agreed a deal to sign striker Javier Hernandez from Mexican side Chivas de Guadalajara for an undisclosed fee.

The deal for the 21-year-old, who has scored four goals in four senior international appearances for Mexico, is subject to a work permit.

Personal terms have been agreed and Hernandez passed a medical this week.

Manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I am delighted to have reached a deal to sign such an exciting young striker."

He added: "He has been in prolific form for both his club and his country. He will be a great addition to our squad and we look forward to welcoming our first Mexican player in the summer."

The club is to submit an application for Hernandez - who is known by the nickname Chicarito, which means 'little pea' - and if it is granted, he will become a United player on 1 July, 2010.

But should he, as expected, make Mexico's World Cup squad, United fans could be given their first glimpse of his talents when England face Mexico at Wembley in a friendly on 24 May.

As part of the deal, United have agreed to play a match to open the new 45,000 capacity Chivas Stadium in Guadalajara as part of its 2010-11 season preparations.

Hernandez is United's second capture for next season having reached agreement to sign defender Chris Smalling from Fulham in January.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/8609973.stm

Watched a few Guadalajara games this season, and saw him at the U-20 World Cup where I'm sure he was played out on the left. Good left foot, looked quite skillfull, knows where the goals is, and is absolutely fcuking rapid!