Is Steven Davis a better player...

Distorted what ?

I have seen a few on sky but living in england and reading the press reaction to fergies performances this season tells me all i need to know...unless they are lying to make him look better... :lol:

I also live in England and was actually at the Birmingham game at the weekend on a corporate jolly. I’m in London and have to say I have never read about Ferguson being outstanding, haven’t heard it said on Sky or on BBC’s MotD.

Just to put things in perspective I’d say there are probably few people who have seen Barry Ferguson play from the age of 14 as often as I have. I watched him regularly in a decent (they weren’t the best youth team at the time) Rangers youth side. It is to his credit that Ferguson came out to have the career he did as there were other boys in that team that performed better than he did.

All that is by the by. From my point of view Barry Ferguson has played in the best and joint worst Rangers teams I’ve ever seen. A handful of games apart I do not think Ferguson performs well unless he is surrounded by quality players. He looks good in a good team but rarely stands out when those around him are mediocre and below average. To me it says a lot that from 2003 onwards (after the massive cost cutting and the quality of player dropping dramatically) he produced top performances on only a handful of occasions. Added to this I'd say in 2000/01 and 2001/02 his performances against Celtic were particularly cowardly and inept when we needed him to step up the most.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a horrible question. A young BF was in a different league - Advocaat said he should have been playing at Man Utd or Arsenal in his prime, and I agree. The injury at Blackburn stopped him from reaching full potential. Maybe not world-class, but wasn't far off at his prime.

Surrounded by great individuals? Yes, but Barry was probably the best player in that era, and that says it all. Doubt Davis would have even been in the team alongisde Albertz, De Boer, Arteta etc

Davis along with Boogy is the best player in an era where most Rangers players are average or below average, to be brutally honest.

Distorted what ?

I have seen a few on sky but living in england and reading the press reaction to fergies performances this season tells me all i need to know...unless they are lying to make him look better... :lol:

I also live in England and was actually at the Birmingham game at the weekend on a corporate jolly. I’m in London and have to say I have never read about Ferguson being outstanding, haven’t heard it said on Sky or on BBC’s MotD.

Just to put things in perspective I’d say there are probably few people who have seen Barry Ferguson play from the age of 14 as often as I have. I watched him regularly in a decent (they weren’t the best youth team at the time) Rangers youth side. It is to his credit that Ferguson came out to have the career he did as there were other boys in that team that performed better than he did.

All that is by the by. From my point of view Barry Ferguson has played in the best and joint worst Rangers teams I’ve ever seen. A handful of games apart I do not think Ferguson performs well unless he is surrounded by quality players. He looks good in a good team but rarely stands out when those around him are mediocre and below average. To me it says a lot that from 2003 onwards (after the massive cost cutting and the quality of player dropping dramatically) he produced top performances on only a handful of occasions. Added to this I'd say in 2000/01 and 2001/02 his performances against Celtic were particularly cowardly and inept when we needed him to step up the most.

For someone that has apparently watched him so often it says a lot about your knowledge of the game that you have formed such a ridiculous opinion of him….. at least it lets people know to file your opinions under pish for future reference…..

Nice to see you now change your opinion mid thread instead of just admitting you got it totally wrong. Although groundbreaking stuff when you pointed out players look better with better team mates around them, you should get a spot on match of the day with such Hansen like analysis.

He has performed well since 2003. He did at Blackburn before injury and he did in the spl despite playing well in a very average team on his return and played well in 2008 under smith (especially in Europe) and he does now at Birmingham (however many times you pretend to have gone to see him play there, how embarrassing) He has had poor spells as well, he was shocking under le guen and very poor, at times, last season and he deserved to be dropped for what he was doing on the park never mind the carry on off it but overall he will rightly be remembered, apart from by a few nutjobs, as the best scottish player of his generation and rightly so.

p.s. You seem to have a very personal dislike of him….what’s wrong did he foul your wee boy while playing u12’s…..:lol:

For someone that has apparently watched him so often it says a lot about your knowledge of the game that you have formed such a ridiculous opinion of him….. at least it lets people know to file your opinions under pish for future reference…..

Nice to see you now change your opinion mid thread instead of just admitting you got it totally wrong. Although groundbreaking stuff when you pointed out players look better with better team mates around them, you should get a spot on match of the day with such Hansen like analysis.

He has performed well since 2003. He did at Blackburn before injury and he did in the spl despite playing well in a very average team on his return and played well in 2008 under smith (especially in Europe) and he does now at Birmingham (however many times you pretend to have gone to see him play there, how embarrassing) He has had poor spells as well, he was shocking under le guen and very poor, at times, last season and he deserved to be dropped for what he was doing on the park never mind the carry on off it but overall he will rightly be remembered, apart from by a few nutjobs, as the best scottish player of his generation and rightly so.

p.s. You seem to have a very personal dislike of him….what’s wrong did he foul your wee boy while playing u12’s…..:lol:

There you go distorting things again. You either deliberatley miss the points being made or are completely stupid. I suspect it is the latter.

Top midfielders perform very well regardless of who is in the team with them. All we ever read after another inept Ferguson performance was "cares too much... if only others around him were as good... etc etc" when the reality was he created little and scored even less. The fact he only regularly performed well when surrounded by quality players says it all about Ferguson.

I'd love to know how often you saw him playing for Blackburn? Unless you travelled to watch him I doubt you saw him play 90 minutes for them on more than a couple of occassions as they were seldom the big match on Sky. I never went to watch Ferguson at the weekend. A broker took me to see Manchester City.

Ferguson's quality can be judged on who has signed him and/or made offers for him. Graeme Souness and Alex McLeish are the only two, both of whom have a Rangers connection. I'd have thought such a top class player would have managers beating down the door to sign him.

As for your earlier PotY comment? The Lego Eater and Heid won those awards last year...

Davis is a talented player, and although I only remember Barry Ferguson's prime years vaguely (considering I was around the ages of 6-10) I'd say Davis still has a little bit more to do to be considered better or on the same level as Ferguson. He has been great for us, and if he continues - it wouldn't surprise me to hear the two players mentioned in the same sentence.

As for Ferguson being one of the best midfielders of his time, thats ridiculous. In the last 10-15 years in which I have followed football there is no chance any Rangers player can be considered as one of the best in world at what he done while he was at Ibrox. I have a less clouded view of Ferguson as I never really seen him at his best - but I remember Ferguson as the useless big name who everyone loved, but I never seen why.

Also as a side note, I was at St. Andrew's for the Birmingham v Arsenal match a few weeks back, and I must have missed what everyone else has been raving about with him down there. He spent most of the match building himself up to get booked with lazy tackles and mouthing off to the referee. Made one decent pass forward to Jerome which set him off on a run which got nowhere and thats all I remember that he done. I've watched a few games on Sky as well from Birmingham, including yesterday's match v Man City and he was invisible again. I've watched at least two or three other Birmingham games throughout the season and nothing has shown me that he deserves all the praise he has been getting down there. I really don't see where it is coming from.

Davis is a talented player, and although I only remember Barry Ferguson's prime years vaguely (considering I was around the ages of 6-10) I'd say Davis still has a little bit more to do to be considered better or on the same level as Ferguson. He has been great for us, and if he continues - it wouldn't surprise me to hear the two players mentioned in the same sentence.

As for Ferguson being one of the best midfielders of his time, thats ridiculous. In the last 10-15 years in which I have followed football there is no chance any Rangers player can be considered as one of the best in world at what he done while he was at Ibrox. I have a less clouded view of Ferguson as I never really seen him at his best - but I remember Ferguson as the useless big name who everyone loved, but I never seen why.

Also as a side note, I was at St. Andrew's for the Birmingham v Arsenal match a few weeks back, and I must have missed what everyone else has been raving about with him down there. He spent most of the match building himself up to get booked with lazy tackles and mouthing off to the referee. Made one decent pass forward to Jerome which set him off on a run which got nowhere and thats all I remember that he done. I've watched a few games on Sky as well from Birmingham, including yesterday's match v Man City and he was invisible again. I've watched at least two or three other Birmingham games throughout the season and nothing has shown me that he deserves all the praise he has been getting down there. I really don't see where it is coming from.

Good post. I'm actually surprised you saw him tackle. All I ever saw him do was run up to players and never boot his foot in, unless he'd lost the heid and would occassionaly slide in stupidly.

I struggle to understand why so many people bash Ferguson.. It's as if it pains them to say he was a good player for Rangers. IMO he was a great player for Rangers, and I say that proudly!

To pick a couple of performances that spring to mind who carried him when we played porto and villareal at home in ecks last season in the CL when he was the best player on the park up against simone and riqueleme in the centre of the park ?

Villareal is a strange game to pick - Riquelme was head and shoulders above anyone else on the park. He strolled through that game

I struggle to understand why so many people bash Ferguson.. It's as if it pains them to say he was a good player for Rangers. IMO he was a great player for Rangers, and I say that proudly!

This (tu)

Ah if you only you seen the likes of Gascoigne and Laudrup :(

I might be wrong here lads but is Barry not been, one of the top 5 best passers of the ball in the epl this season, I might be wrong but I am sure I heard this on sky sports news (tu)

How many of them are in the opposing half?

How many are forward?

How many split defences?

His role at Birmingham is to try and keep the ball and play simple passes in his own half.

He was a fucking hard-on.

So-called hard man that shat it every T*rrier game.

Thank fuck the twat is gone.

Heres a Blues fans take on Fergie this season...

BF has been a major difference to our midfield and to the way the team plays in general.Its been a breath a fresh air to have a midfield player in a Blues shirt that is not frightened to take a ball and drive a team forward.

It was no surprise the impact that he has made on our team.The bloke is a very experienced player that has plenty of league, international and Champions league games under his belt and has played with and against some top quality players.There was only ever going to be one outcome....A quality performer....I wish he was 2 or 3 years younger.

What was a surprise was that a good 80% of Blues fans on here had written off BF before he even crossed the border and put on a Blues shirt.Calling him a flop,second Choice,Cheap option and a player that has been used to playing the equivalent of division 1 football for most of his career....Good old Mr Gerald Squires....i would love to here your opinion on Barry Ferguson now

For me though Tilton,player of the season still has to be Carr....33 years of age,coming out of retirement,playing 90% of the games and still making an impact week in and week out...an amazing story...