"super lee"

martyboy2009

Thomson and Davis should be the central midfield pairing.

Thomson; a player capable of tackling, breaking up play, putting the foot in, doing the dirty work... he has positional sense, know's how to pass a ball, goes looking for it, starting off attack's, ball retention...

Davis; we all know his qualities.

There is a balanced central midfield pairing, one who can sit, mop up play, get stuck in, whilst having the ability to mix it, and play football, alongside a player who likes to get everywhere, get on the ball, drive forward, create, dictate play...

Davis is wasted out on the right, and Edu/Thomson with McCulloch, more often than not, does not work at all, and is a major reason as to why we huff, puff, and struggle for long spells of games.

I can see it, the majority of supporters can, the media can, pundits can, opposition manager's... why can't Walter Smith?

I agree totally, we are not playing to our strengths. Smith worries far too much at times about the oppositions strengths rather than capitalising on our own.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a few guys are forgetting that Mcculloch is not in there to provide the flair or attacking option, he's there to fill the "break up the play, win the ball and pass it on" role. Not very glamorous but every team needs one. I was at the game tonight and I would say Mcculloch was one of the few players in our team who actually did a job. Edu was simply awful tonight beside him, shall we start the witchhunt on him now? How many games could you hand on heart say Edu has shone in? Mcculloch may not be everyone's idea of what makes a Rangers midfielder (not even mine if circumstances were different), but unfortunately we are in a position where we have to utilise every player we have in the best way they can be. Big Lee does a job in there, pure and simple.

Thomson does this alot better and also does more yet gets dropped for one game yet Lee has had a good game in god knows how long yet he is probably one of the first name on the team sheet.

And Edu? Where would you see his role in this grand scheme?

Behind Thomson in the midfield pecking order. Edu is good player and was vital in the run up to winning the league when we dropped Barry. But Kevin is a much better player. Thomson and Davis should be our two central midfielders from now until we win the league and into next season pending we can get Davis and maybe Thomson with two wide players hopefully brought in.

and another point you do realise that davis is played on the right to offer some sort of defensive cover for Whitty ? look what happened as soon as naismith was hooked and that donkey lafferty was played out on the left , utd ripped papac a new one

He was poor today along with most of the team , this is what annoys me instead of creating a topic about how poor the team was its made about how poor McCulloch was.

Its the exact same for Lafferty , if the team is poor then either McCulloch or Lafferty will get criticized and its quite pathetic.

(tu)

Completely agree.

Go and make a thread on that then, no one is stopping you <cr>

Thought Mcculloch played well IMO, edu was fucking shocking though

Edu won't get criticised as much as he's now likely to be dropped for five weeks.

McCulloch has been mince for a number of weeks now, but unlike Thomson or Edu, there's no chance of him being benched.

Papac was having a terrible terrible game anyway before naismith went off. We played with Davis in the center in December and 2 wingers and Whittaker wasn't left exposed as a consequence.

was Broadfoot not right back then with whitty in front of him ? for some of the run anyway , i know Beasley and Novo played a couple of the games

This forum does my fcukin nut in at times. People can't start a thread or express their opinions about the teams performance without it turning in to a complete bitch fest that you'd expect from grannies on the bus to the bingo. It's bloody pathetic. Who wants to join a forum that reeks of hypocrisy. Some people seem to think that because they have "X" amount of posts then they have the right to be judge and jury on everything thats get posted in here. Forget Lee McCulloch and how bad he was/is. Forget Edu being a lightweight for 6,2" african american. Lafferty's murder, Davis is wasted on the right. Whittaker isn't a right back. Walter smith doesn't know what width is etc etc. Forget all that bullshit. Just remember we're 11 points clear and we've managed to be 11 points clear with our team being well below par. We haven't signed a player for two years. Enjoy it while we can guys because this league title is going to be our last for a good few years unless our financial situation gets sorted in the summer. Realise that Celtic will invest this summer and heavily. Whatever manager they bring in will be given money, money that we don't have. They got it wrong with Mowbray, he was a blessing but the next one wont get it so bad. So let's remember we're soon to be league champions for the 2nd year in a row and get behind our team because next year we might be the difference between being 11 points in front or 11 points behind. If we're not a united support then how can the team take energy from us if we're all bitching about their performances, bitching about players out of position, walter smiths tactics etc etc. Rant over, i think. "No Surrender" remember that?

Pretty sure broadfoot never played in any of the December patch...I may be wrong. And antwilhar, it's a forum. If nobody expressed opinions there would be nothing on here. We're entitled to voice our concerns and slate players.

My only problem is that these threads always end up digging another player.

You can't have a McCulloch thread without someone slating Edu or Thomson.

You can't have a Lafferty thread without someone slating Boyd or Miller. If people want to start threads on certain players, go and bloody do it. Stop trying to make other players look bad in order to make others look better.

McCulloch was pants (again) last night, the fact that Edu was poor shouldn't be used as a tool to make McCulloch look better. If you wish to have a moan about Edu, the 'Create Topic' button is in the top right(tu)

an idea for admin as it doesnt matter how Lee performs (he was one of the better of a poor bunch L/N) he will get slated so why not sticky it at the top of the forum (tu) saves cluttering the place up each weekend with Mcculloch threads

McCulloch was one of the poorest of a poor bunch IMO, but we can't keep pinning threads.

its all about opinions (tu) it would be shite if we all agreed :lol: was jsut a thought when you mentioned other players getting slated in someone elses thread , would maybe have cut that down ,( i'm bad for that :) ) it could also have been used for praise :lol:

I was wrong about broadfoot, forgot whittaker got dropped after his nightmare CL performances! Whittaker came on as a sub in most of the games.

Ah i though Broadfoot came in about then but i wasnt sure if whitty was used in front or alternated with beasley on the left (tu)

Pretty sure broadfoot never played in any of the December patch...I may be wrong. And antwilhar, it's a forum. If nobody expressed opinions there would be nothing on here. We're entitled to voice our concerns and slate players.

Your missing my point mate. My point is people can't express opinions or feelings without the all so high and mighty coming down on them with their "i've made thousands of posts, i must be respected" tone. If others don't agree with people's posts then argue your points in a respectful manner without it gettin personal. 9 times out of 10 threads get personal and its gettin a bit boring now.

Didn't read the whole thread but for what its worth I think McCulloch is a complete liability. He is a woeful midfielder. He might be able to chip in with the odd goal but it no way compensates for the unbalance his presence causes in the middle.

I don't doubt that he does what he is asked to do and I have no doubt that's what Walter likes about him, but I have said it before and will say it again Walter has a seriously damaging blind spot for this guy. He is in a position that is, along with centre half and goalkeeper, impossible to hide.

If one of your central midfielder's is off his game then your team struggles. Now I am not for a minute suggesting that he is the root of all our woes but I do believe that his inability to play in midfield is a major reason why our team struggles to find any kind of rhythm and fails to dominate what should be lesser teams....

I have huge admiration for Smith and he is undoubtedly the man for the job at Rangers, but I can't understand why he will not play a central midfield paring of Davis and Thomson or Davis and Edu.

Davis played in the middle in December and thats when we played on a completely different level. Seriously watching our team in December and watching them last night was like watching two different sports. The differences in selection are minor but the differences in performance is major...

December was a blip, we stumbled across a formation that worked superbly well for us, gave us width and balance and seemed to create more space and creativity. Just as quickly we lost it again ( Davis moved back right)... was this my imagination or is that how it happened

That's how it happened mate, sadly.

totally agree m8, davis and tommo should be our mf pairing, it's simple...... i dnt know why we cnt go with novo/laff/ or naisy on lm and rm......... davis is wasted out on the right..... and lm and edu are both the same type of player... win balls and break up play, and can only play a side pass!!!! unlike davis!!!!

it not rocket science!!!!!!