A final farewell to David Murray

ElBufalo20

So his 20 or so years of ownership is finally coming to an end. We have had plenty of highs and lows thankfully more highs. Towards the end we all know its not been the best of times financially. However last season we won the league and we will do again this. I feel we owe Murray a lot of credit for this.I know a lot of people may disagree with me but at the start of last season we were embarrassed against Kaunas and it looked like we were going nowhere. We sold Cuellar and Hutton and Murray could easily have taken the money and put it in the rest of his struggling businesses. But fair play to him he invested heavily in bringing in Davis permanently, Edu, Lafferty, Bougherrs, Mendes,Beasley and Miller with all these guys being vital players in us winning the league last year and now retaining it. I for one hope whoever he sells the club to will bring a bright future to our club and give plenty of investement. Hopefully Murray will be at the Motherwell game to recieve a good ovation a could present the SPL trophy to Davie Weir.However the future of our great club works out we all know we will still be there.WATP

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So his 20 or so years of ownership is finally coming to an end. We have had plenty of highs and lows thankfully more highs. Towards the end we all know its not been the best of times financially. However last season we won the league and we will do again this. I feel we owe Murray a lot of credit for this.I know a lot of people may disagree with me but at the start of last season we were embarrassed against Kaunas and it looked like we were going nowhere. We sold Cuellar and Hutton and Murray could easily have taken the money and put it in the rest of his struggling businesses. But fair play to him he invested heavily in bringing in Davis permanently, Edu, Lafferty, Bougherrs, Mendes,Beasley and Miller with all these guys being vital players in us winning the league last year and now retaining it. I for one hope whoever he sells the club to will bring a bright future to our club and give plenty of investement. Hopefully Murray will be at the Motherwell game to recieve a good ovation a could present the SPL trophy to Davie Weir.However the future of our great club works out we all know we will still be there.WATP

do you know someting we don't. ??

no one is about to buy us,so sir david murray is going nowhere.

Although I guess that the OP was tongue in cheek, I would be very interested to see how his record as Chairman fairs in comparison to other Chairmans of the past. For all of his faults, and money aside, he oversaw 9 in a row, 15 titles, 9 Scottish Cups, 13 League Cups and a European Final in just over 20 years (23?).

But Davie fcuk awe that ye never defended The Billy Boys so fcuk off ! :sherlock:

Is that it then? That is your benchmark of how Sir David Murray's stewardship over 20 years is to be remembered? Pretty narrow view of things BD. Must be said.

If your statement wasn't so pathetic, well.. it's just pathetic. Nothing else.

I don't think that any fair minded sensible person could deny that The Mint, as Owner of our club, overseen the most successful term of stewardship in the History of Football either in Scotland or elsewhere.

His tenure which followed on from the vision of David Holmes and the appointment of Souness

in 1986 has resulted in the most radical shake up of not only Rangers FC, but the whole of Scottish Football in general and it is my opinion that without Holmes, Souness and Murray we would have never attained things that some of us take for granted these days; ie: fantastic training facilities, World Class safe clean Stadium, great players no matter their personal belief or Race or Colour.

The other side of the coin is well documented and argued about by virtually all supporters...

Draining of every asset into MIH, Failure to stand up to our detractors, Continual smokescreen ideas or lies about exactly what is going on at Rangers, etc!

I guess Murray will always polarise Supporters opinions where to some he is regarded as a saviour and to others he is the person who brought disaster to our doorstep.

Time will be the judge of which opinion is closer to the truth.

I don't think that any fair minded sensible person could deny that The Mint, as Owner of our club, overseen the most successful term of stewardship in the History of Football either in Scotland or elsewhere.

His tenure which followed on from the vision of David Holmes and the appointment of Souness

in 1986 has resulted in the most radical shake up of not only Rangers FC, but the whole of Scottish Football in general and it is my opinion that without Holmes, Souness and Murray we would have never attained things that some of us take for granted these days; ie: fantastic training facilities, World Class safe clean Stadium, great players no matter their personal belief or Race or Colour.

The other side of the coin is well documented and argued about by virtually all supporters...

Draining of every asset into MIH, Failure to stand up to our detractors, Continual smokescreen ideas or lies about exactly what is going on at Rangers, etc!

I guess Murray will always polarise Supporters opinions where to some he is regarded as a saviour and to others he is the person who brought disaster to our doorstep.

OZ. I have read quite a few your posts. I think you offer a well balanced view of affairs. Either from our management/ownership or a critical player perspective.

Thanks for your views. Honesty is always the right way.

Cheers.

Yes he was successful before and we loved every minute but look how he's left us now.

Yep we are in such a bad state we are going for 2 in a row, 6 trophies in last 3 years and a UEFA final - disgraceful stats!! anguish.gif10310.gif

Murray brought Smith back - deserves credit. Sqanctioned the money for Bougherra, Davis, Mendes, McCulloch, Whittaker, Naismith, Lafferty, etc. etc. perhaps not the highlights of earlier times but by no means the worst state he could leave us in.

I for one, thank him and wish him well for the future.

That just about sums it up.

Yes he was successful before and we loved every minute but look how he's left us now.

Yep we are in such a bad state we are going for 2 in a row, 6 trophies in last 3 years and a UEFA final - disgraceful stats!! anguish.gif10310.gif

Murray brought Smith back - deserves credit. Sqanctioned the money for Bougherra, Davis, Mendes, McCulloch, Whittaker, Naismith, Lafferty, etc. etc. perhaps not the highlights of earlier times but by no means the worst state he could leave us in.

I for one, thank him and wish him well for the future.

Your obviously not understanding what i mean. When i said look how he's left us i'm talking about £31million debt not buying a player for 3 transfer windows and selling our best players.

Hopefully Murray will be at the Motherwell game to recieve a good ovation a could present the SPL trophy to Davie Weir

No chance of him being there, thankfully!

I doubt a guy who has overcome all the obstacles in life he has to make such a large success of himself could be described as a coward by a non entity like you....... :sherlock:

Who called him a coward?

Unlike you, I attended Ibrox pre-Souness and pre-Murray .