Martin Bain warns of a future without Euro finances

Ace

Rangers chief executive Martin Bain has warned that both halves of the Old Firm may have to alter their financial plans as the route to the Champions League group stage gets harder.

The Ibrox side are on course to make it into the prestigious playground next season, so long as the winners of this term’s Champions League qualify for the competition next year by virtue of their placing in their domestic title race.

It is a question on when, rather than if, Rangers win the league this term and adding to the celebrations for lifting a second successive championship will be the joy of qualifying for Europe’s top tournament.

Aside from the fact it gives the Ibrox side the opportunity to play on the biggest stage in Europe, it also guarantees the club an injection of £10m, a significant figure given the concerns facing Scottish Football.

However, this is the last time the golden ticket will come hand-in-hand with the SPL trophy and consequently, next season may well be the last for many years that a Scottish club makes it into the group stage of the Champions League.

From next term, even the SPL winners will face qualifiers, a perilous route lined with some big hitters, as Celtic discovered this season against Arsenal.

And Bain has warned that as it becomes harder and harder to guarantee the millions that the Champions League provides, Scotland’s big two will have to cut their cloth accordingly.

“The Champions League is the one transformer,” he told Blues News. “If you have Champions League football then it really does transform things for you and there is a massive swing in terms of an injection of cash.

“It has been a huge thing for the club since the start of the year. The pressure this year at the start of the season was ten-fold compared to last year because it was absolutely imperative that we were up there challenging.”

The former Uefa Cup competition has become the Europa League and while the revenue it can provide clubs is better than in the old format, it is still nowhere near as lucrative as the Champions League.

And with the Scotland’s co-efficient rating sliding all the time, Bain urged other Scottish clubs to lift their game and make more of a contribution.

“The Europa League is more lucrative as it was before, but is not as lucrative as the Champions League,” said Bain.

“Rangers supporters want Rangers to be playing in the Champions League. But it is not just about the Old Firm.

“The co-efficient is determined by Scottish clubs and from an international perspective. We have to do better and lift our game to secure the visibility that we all require throughout Europe and the world.”

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/martin-bain-warns-of-a-future-without-euro-finances-1.1021171

The writing has been on the wall for the last couple of seasons if we are honest with ourselves. Scottish clubs only have themselves to blame for our dwindling profile in European football of late, UEFA Cup Final aside.

I dont know how but the big teams in the smaller countries have to get together to exert some pressure for change of format in Europe - in the main, with few exceptions, only the big players from the big countries get stronger (and i use that term deliberately as its all about market size not club fanbase these days).

That should be a priority for Bain, New owners, SDM whomever or the downward spiral will continue

I dont know how but the big teams in the smaller countries have to get together to exert some pressure for change of format in Europe - in the main, with few exceptions, only the big players from the big countries get stronger (and i use that term deliberately as its all about market size not club fanbase these days).

That should be a priority for Bain, New owners, SDM whomever or the downward spiral will continue

I agree... the Champions League needs a major shake up as it is becoming a "Gentlemens club" and is very predictable every season

This guys job is a sports journalist and he thinks the champions of Scotland could meet the likes of a 4th place english team when qualifiying...

Never mind the standard of our football the standard of our sports journalism is even worse, the smallest amount of reasearch (go to bert kassies site) would tell you that is not the path the champions would take.....

I agree... the Champions League needs a major shake up as it is becoming a "Gentlemens club" and is very predictable every season

I would say this season it has been far from predictable. Lyon and Bayern Munich semi-final?

We desperately need Euro money to keep us at a decent level. With the looming prospect of no CL football for a long time in the air, we could be in for a horrible few years, and it's been on the cards. Scottish football is a backwater nonsense league.

I would say this season it has been far from predictable. Lyon and Bayern Munich semi-final?

We desperately need Euro money to keep us at a decent level. With the looming prospect of no CL football for a long time in the air, we could be in for a horrible few years, and it's been on the cards. Scottish football is a backwater nonsense league.

With the prospect of no CL the real solution is while we have the money invest more in grassroots, make sure our youngsters aren't wasting their talent on drink etc. By selling on youngsters would could eventually build up finance to qualify for the CL year in year out.

the year we got to the UEFA Cup Final and Celtic got through to the knockout stages on the CL along with Aberdeen getting through the groups in the UEFA Cup, we had the fourth best co-efficient in Europe, exactly the same as Italy. The next year we were 16th with embarrassingly shit showing from all of our clubs. It's up and down, more down than up for Scottish clubs though of course, but we should hopefully be able to keep our current system of one club getting through and the other having an outside chance of getting in alongside them. It's in line with what Platini says he wants from the CL anyway.

the problem with that is that if the apple cart is rocked too much the gentlemen will simply break away and form their own competition.

It's shit but the clubs that dominate the champions league are the teams who make the money and attract the viewers.

They hold all the aces

We'll need to be more prudent in the future, no doubt about it.

No £4m fees for players like Lafferty, no more £2.5m fees for players like McCulloch or £2m for people like Naismith.

Putting a bit more investment in the scouting network just now could pay dividends in the near future.

No £4m fees for players like Lafferty, no more £2.5m fees for players like McCulloch or £2m for people like Naismith.

Putting a bit more investment in the scouting network just now could pay dividends in the near future.

The Naismith situation was just bad luck, £2 million for a 2x YPOTY on paper was a great bit of business. But in football no matter the fee you never know what's going to happen.

The qualifying issue isn't certain for 2011/12 yet - depending on a few things I'm sure the SPL winners can still automatically qualify for the group stage if they win the league next season.

I thought that was confirmed because Anderlecht (or certainly a Belgian side) won their last match?

Trouble is when you pay these fees there is always a failure rate - McColloch and Naismith have done ok as well. Alex Ferguson reckons only about 50% of 'buys' work so since we bought Bougherra, Cuellar, Davis, Mendes etc we have done ok!

It's all very well moaning about the other Scottish teams but they pay around £1000 per week to their players and next to nothing on transfer fees. They perform as well as can be expected.

The big problem is how pathetic ourselves and the mhanks are. We still pay top tier outside the big four leagues yet we perform worse than countries/clubs paying a fraction of what we do.

It's all very well moaning about the other Scottish teams but they pay around £1000 per week to their players and next to nothing on transfer fees. They perform as well as can be expected.

The big problem is how pathetic ourselves and the mhanks are. We still pay top tier outside the big four leagues yet we perform worse than countries/clubs paying a fraction of what we do.

Your right son (tu)

This guys job is a sports journalist and he thinks the champions of Scotland could meet the likes of a 4th place english team when qualifiying...

Never mind the standard of our football the standard of our sports journalism is even worse, the smallest amount of reasearch (go to bert kassies site) would tell you that is not the path the champions would take.....

This is exactly the thing thats annoying me the most, the people saying that it is going to be really tough to qualify, we go into the Champions path and will no doubt be seeded, as we would be one place away in the co-efficient for an automatic entry,

We would get the champions of Moldova etc.

Its obviously harder as we have to qualify, but if we can't beat the champions from smaller nations, then we don't deserve to be there.

This is exactly the thing thats annoying me the most, the people saying that it is going to be really tough to qualify, we go into the Champions path and will no doubt be seeded, as we would be one place away in the co-efficient for an automatic entry,

We would get the champions of Moldova etc.

Its obviously harder as we have to qualify, but if we don't be the champions from smaller nations, then we don't deserve to be there.

No-one can question Smith's domestic results but I wouldn't have faith in him achieving Euro qualification against even the likes of clubs from Moldova etc.

The Naismith situation was just bad luck, £2 million for a 2x YPOTY on paper was a great bit of business. But in football no matter the fee you never know what's going to happen.

It is true that you never know how a signing will turn out but in the case of Naismith the fee was unreal; where else could he have gone? Unlikely that a championship club would pay half that money which leaves Celtic as the only other possible competitor. Naismith was a last minute panic buy, at a price well beyond his worth, to ease criticism at the time.