The Davis-Whittaker relationship...

papaguy51

I meant to make this thread a few weeks ago, but totally forgot.

Although today wasn't the best to day make an example of it, I think the relationship between the two Stevens down our right hand side has been pivotal to this year's success.

Both in defence and attack, both players have combined superbly with a telepathic understand of each other's positioning and over-lapping runs.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

I still think the main reason Davis is on the right is to help cover up Whittaker's defensive shortcomings. But Davis slightly tucking in allows Whittaker to overlap and get up the park and do damage, and his 11 goals is an indication of that.

Even today I thought Whittaker was decent going forward. At times we had both him and Bougherra charging forward. I was disappointed by Davis today to be honest. First time in a long time I've had to say that. Thought a lot of his passes were wayward and he wasn't his usual self. But it's rare.

I meant to make this thread a few weeks ago, but totally forgot.

Although today wasn't the best to day make an example of it, I think the relationship between the two Stevens down our right hand side has been pivotal to this year's success.

Both in defence and attack, both players have combined superbly with a telepathic understand of each other's positioning and over-lapping runs.

Am I the only one that thinks this?

No (tu)

Personally, I don't think its that great.

Davis leaves Whittaker exposed and if we were up against better opposition week in week out we'd be in trouble.

Spot on mate, we hate seeing it where we sit.

Whitty gets a lot of critisism when he ends up 2 on 1 and it's not always his fault.

Davis naturally floats into the middle area of the park and that's when there are a few problems created on our right hand side.

Thankfully we haven't been exposed in the SPL this season because of it BUT in the CL we were and Whitty suffered big time because of it.

Davis leaves Whittaker exposed and if we were up against better opposition week in week out we'd be in trouble.

I agree with this - I like Davis as a player but he often leaves Whittaker exposed - and when he does Whittaker gets the blame!! Love Whittaker going forward and he has been much more solid defensively recently, perhaps the run of games or confidence from scoring gave him that and he should be commended as he has worked hard and was the boo boy tarhet for the first half of the season and has managed, ib the main, to dump that!

I agree with this - I like Davis as a player but he often leaves Whittaker exposed - and when he does Whittaker gets the blame!! Love Whittaker going forward and he has been much more solid defensively recently, perhaps the run of games or confidence from scoring gave him that and he should be commended as he has worked hard and was the boo boy tarhet for the first half of the season and has managed, ib the main, to dump that!

I'm sick of Davis drifting way inside when the ball is over on the opposite side of the pitch when we are defending. Sometimes he is further over than the 2 central midfielders. It creates an imbalance

As the ball is over on the other side it is natural for the right back (Whittaker) to tuck in and provide cover for the centre backs.

This then leaves acres of space on the wing, the ball gets switched and everyone shouts at Whittaker claiming he has poor positional sense. However, Whittaker is doing what any right back would do and is being left out to dry to Davis not staying in his position. It then leaves Whittaker with a decision to make.... Should he get out and tackle or hold his position.

If Davis is played wide of the right (Which he shouldn't be) he has to show more discipline when we don't have the ball.

When we have the ball I don't mind Davis drifting in trying to influence the game. It can, and often does allow Bougherra to overlap Whittaker and cause problems. However, the problem occurs when Whittaker gets the ball, Davis tucks in and Bougherra doesn't make the run. Whittaker has no options and it usually results in a punt up the park.

I'm sick of Davis drifting way inside when the ball is over on the opposite side of the pitch when we are defending. Sometimes he is further over than the 2 central midfielders. It creates an imbalance

As the ball is over on the other side it is natural for the right back (Whittaker) to tuck in and provide cover for the centre backs.

This then leaves acres of space on the wing, the ball gets switched and everyone shouts at Whittaker claiming he has poor positional sense. However, Whittaker is doing what any right back would do and is being left out to dry to Davis not staying in his position. It then leaves Whittaker with a decision to make.... Should he get out and tackle or hold his position.

If Davis is played wide of the right (Which he shouldn't be) he has to show more discipline when we don't have the ball.

When we have the ball I don't mind Davis drifting in trying to influence the game. It can, and often does allow Bougherra to overlap Whittaker and cause problems. However, the problem occurs when Whittaker gets the ball, Davis tucks in and Bougherra doesn't make the run. Whittaker has no options and it usually results in a punt up the park.

Totally agree with that, good post (tu)

End of the day, Steven Davis should not be playing on the right of midfield, and Whittaker is alway's going to be left exposed, no matter what we go with, and this is when he is shown up defensively - who know's what will happen next season, but if Davis is still at the club, I'd imagine he will still continue to play out there, with McCulloch in the middle, which is terrible, and a big reason as to why we struggle through so many games.