I'll quit Rangers if summer cutbacks scupper 3-in-a-row bid, vows Walter Smith

Ace

know whats the funniest thing about our financial predicament

its only ever been smith thats said that we may have to sell players, everyone's up for sale, cutbacks this summer etc

not once has ANYONE else came out and said this, the banks, bain and johnston have all stated that a repayment plan is in place with the bank that we are easily meeting, and with the additional income from next seasons champions league participation, surely a sale of the biggest assets will only happen if the bid is a really good bid

i would happily sell bougherra for 8million if e could spend it all on the team, smith has a habit of finding decent centre halves for pennies, look at the sale of cuellar and the immediate purchase of bougherra

same for davis, would gladly take 8million or him if we got the lot to spend on the team

It is said by some that all this media bluster over the recent weeks by Smith and his media lackeys is more to do with him being concerned about his own future than anything else.

It is said that both he and Bain will face wage cuts (the bank calling the shots there) and his decision whether to stay or go will be dependent on how big that wage cut is.

It is also said that any contract offer will be short term (3-months rolling).

Of course it could all change if new owners are in place before next season. :wink:

Let's see what develops. :sherlock:

Walter is a very intelligent man and his comments and views are voiced with a sense of purpose and motive.

The effects of further downsizing and cutbacks would be fatal for the clubs on the field success for seasons to come and the bankers must be forced to look beyond the balance sheet.

This is partly what I believe WS is trying to get across. The sale of yet more established players without bringing in quality replacements and actually improving the squad will see results suffer, attendances dwindle, merchandise sales fall, and all other sorts of negative implications. ( This is what the bank must be forced to realise ).

I certainly don't embrace and agree with all of Walters footballing philosophies but I have nothing but trust and admiration in what he has done and continues to do for this great club. Walter Smith has been our eyes and ears at board level, our leader in the media and our hero in delivering success on the pitch in such trying circumstances.

We should all be thankful for the wonder that is Walter Smith because without him we might be reading banners with quotes like 'At least Le Guen could cook' ?

(tu)

Smith is spot on in what he is saying and it's a message to both the current board and to any potential buyers. That message is to get us bought now while we have a squad and management team otherwise they will be buying a shell and Smith, who is a fan 1st and manager 2nd wants that as much as any of us

It is said by some that all this media bluster over the recent weeks by Smith and his media lackeys is more to do with him being concerned about his own future than anything else.

hmm who are these... 'some'?

Walter is as big a supporter of The Rangers than anyone. Do you -- or the 'some' -- think he is that self-serving?

Actually find this statement quite amazing tbh. Perhaps just a fishing expedition.

hmm who are these... 'some'?

Walter is as big a supporter of The Rangers than anyone. Do you -- or the 'some' -- think he is that self-serving?

Actually find this statement quite amazing tbh. Perhaps just a fishing expedition.

Thats not a fishing trip, don't you know that 62 year old Walter doesn't know where his next dinner is coming from? Of course he would be trying to manipulate journos, bankers, buyers and fans just so he can cement his personal future... I mean everyone needs a job don't they... and who else is going to employ him..... for avoidance of doubt, I am being sarcastic....

Walters comments are undoubtedly a shot across the bows, the bankers who are allegedly proposing further cuts are presumably doing so with a confidence that Smith will be able to work his magic with whatever he has available. Smith is simply warning them not to misunderstand the challenges and not make assumptions or take advantage of his loyalty to the cause..

I am becoming like a broken record but I repeat again and again, I do not understand the need for further cutbacks. The squad has been dramatically reduced the prize money has been dramatically increased. Any further cutbacks would reduce the squad beyond a level at which prize money can be maintained. As long as we are paying back the terms of our loan then there should be no need for further reductions.