Sir Alex Ferguson

stuvey

Manchester United have reportedly begun their long-anticipated search for Sir Alex Ferguson's successor after he told the club's board: "One more season and I'm out."

According to The Sun, it is now scheduled that 'Fergie will go in the summer of 2011, six months before his 70th birthday'.

Jose Mourinho remains the clear favourite to take over at Old Trafford, but there are apparently reservations about his candidature within the club because of his reputation for being 'a short-term type of boss who is always looking to the next job'.

Among the other candidates mentioned by The Sun are Barcelona boss Pep Guardiola, England's Fabio Capello, Guus Hiddink, Martin O'Neill and Arsene Wenger.

Martin O'Neill ?? :ph34r:

I think they will stay British.

And most likely will be Moyes or O'Neill.

It won't be O'Neill. I can see Villa struggling next year, and the past two seasons have seen them falter during a period where United usually go from strength to strength and the board will have that in mind. Of the mangers in the Premiership just now I think only Moyes has a shout of getting it. Probably a straight shoot out between him, Blanc and Jose.

Moyes, Capello or Mourinho.

There's no-one else capable.

I like Rangnick, Van Gaal, Jol and Del Bosque, but that Man United job is going to be a poisoned chalice and it needs someone who has skin thicker than leather.

I like Rangnick, Van Gaal, Jol and Del Bosque, but that Man United job is going to be a poisoned chalice and it needs someone who has skin thicker than leather.

This.

Mourinho is being touted to go to Madrid in the summer, but that means nothing because you usually only have one season at the Bernabeu anyway.

This.

Mourinho is being touted to go to Madrid in the summer, but that means nothing because you usually only have one season at the Bernabeu anyway.

When was the last time they had someone of Jose's quality though?

This.

When was the last time they had someone of Jose's quality though?

When Capello was there, I'd say.

I dont see Fergie willingly leaving till he gets number 19. He's always said he wanted to break Liverpools record.

If Jose quits inter this year, which he has been hinting at all season, there are only 2 places he would go to, England or Real... and seeing as Real never hold onto managers for any longer than about a week, I think he'll be back in England soon enough.

They could always go and give Ole the job... it worked for Barca.