Are Rangers Supporters Being Taken For Granted?

Frankie

Last week the club sent out the season ticket renewal letters for season 2010/2011 - both by traditional post and by email. With a 53rd SPL title within reach and prices frozen for next year, surely everyone will be sending their payment back asap to ensure their seat at Ibrox! After all, the following promise in the letter will allay any fears we may have...

To fully realise our ambitions for next season and beyond, we need to maintain the spirit and unity that has been demonstrated by none other than you, the season ticket holder, and your unwavering support.

You can be certain that we are all working to ensure your support for Rangers is rewarded, and that our commitment to achieving success for this great Club will not diminish.

- Signed Martin Bain and Walter Smith

Positive words then and I certainly appreciate the thanks for the supports' ever loyal financial and emotional investment each year. Some may find it patronising but I feel the gratitude is genuine enough - certainly retaining over 40,000 season ticket holders will be a big challenge for the club over the coming months. I know I can't be the only bear weighing up his options due to personal circumstances.

And that is where the second part of the quoted statement comes in. Outwith the difficulty of finding the £400+ to pay for the actual ticket, how can we be 'certain' our support will be 'rewarded'?

To be clear, I don't expect success every year - that is unrealistic even if Rangers are capable of winning the SPL title at any given time. Similarly, I realise reaching a European final is a once in a generation event and even managing to qualify for (never mind from) a Champions' League Group may soon prove extremely challenging.

As such, when I pay my £400+; I don't do it because I expect success and silverware but simply to retain a close, emotional involvement with the club I love and supply one small investment towards achieving said success. On the other hand, what I do expect is the same commitment, emotion and investment from those connected with the club. Fortunately, for the most part, we do get that in return - even if it could be argued there remains a large gap between the support and those who run the institution. However, just what are the club doing to ensure we remain competitive?

This season has seen many exciting aspects - from being on he brink of winning the title, to being unbeaten against Celtic, to winning the League Cup with only nine men - all with an admirable record in terms of statistics and value for money for those of us who renewed this time last year. Indeed if we do secure the title, it will be one of the most satisfying (and important) I've ever experienced. Nevertheless, there are many worries for the Rangers support which may accompany any title-winning hangover.

First of all the club's ownership remains in doubt and, despite the manager's words in the season ticket renewal letter, he has been extremely vocal on this issue. Ergo, can we genuinely expect to keep our key playing assets as well as the moderate number of players whose contracts run out next month? Certainly it seems far from clear who will and who will not be here next year. Astoundingly even the management team are not guaranteed to be in charge. Just what influence do Lloyds Bank have on our great club and where does MIH sit - other than being a heavy burden on our immediate future?

Furthermore, despite our good performance domestically, in Europe we have been poor now for two seasons on the trot and with an ever-weakening squad, there is little to be excited about in terms of improving on that record next season and beyond. Given the impact European football has on our finances, how does the manager and those who run the club expect to address that crucial challenge over the coming years?

To conclude, I don't doubt the vast majority of fans will renew their season ticket - myself among them. And those that are unable to do so (for whatever reason) will likely be replaced by new fans that can. However, just how sincere are the words from the Chief Executive quoted above? Just where is our money going and how will it be spent? To maintain the 'spirit and unity' you mention in the letter, we need to know exactly what you are doing to reward our continued investment and loyalty. Actions speak louder than words.

Why not start by making it completely clear just what the future holds for every Rangers fan.

ive always been on the CCCS but now im considering not ticking the euro box as, like you say, the euro prospects are dire.

I support my team through thick and thin but with money becoming tight that sum of £100 may come in handy, especially if we draw a group like stuttgart, sevilla and unirea.

That wasnt really glamourous and id rather watvh them in the house and save £100

Ill be renewing. this time ill pay over 4 months instead of 1 as money is just that tight

Spot on, I think that with the (hopefully) near retention of the league it is quite easy to forget the more negative stuff. But I am very aware of the games I have sat through this season and questioned the quality of what i'm watching on the park and if we lose some players for whatever reason and have no investment in new blood then next season could be a very difficult one to watch. It seems we are being asked to commit to next season in blind faith when a number of our management and players are not! I for one am in two minds whether to put my money in when no one else higher up the food chain will and I would hate my money simply making a fucking bank or Mr Murray happy.

To be perfectly honest Frankie, i think that there are too many fans who will pay their season ticket money and then feel that that is all the support they need to give the team, instead of actively supporting them during each and every home game.

The fans need to understand that there is no entitlement to success and that only through hard work and dedication can it be achieved. The club itself relies on the season ticket money we all pump into the club but financial support needs to be backed up by vocal support in the stands otherwise the players lose the advantage of having so many at a game.

I'm sure Martin Bain is genuine in his comments, there is no doubt in my mind that the club more than appreciate the financial support we all give the club. But i don't think even he can say with any degree of certainty what the future is going to hold. I certainly don't think he is in a position to be speaking about the ownership of the club, for legal reasons or just uncertainty.

I can see it being difficult for us next season if we lose our top players with little chance of finding adequate replacements, something which may also see Walter Smith leave the club.

ive always been on the CCCS but now im considering not ticking the euro box as, like you say, the euro prospects are dire.

I support my team through thick and thin but with money becoming tight that sum of £100 may come in handy, especially if we draw a group like stuttgart, sevilla and unirea.

That wasnt really glamourous and id rather watvh them in the house and save £100

Ill be renewing. this time ill pay over 4 months instead of 1 as money is just that tight

What chance will we have in Europe if our supporters don't turn up??

What they really mean is give us your money, then enter the stadium and buy all the goodies. You are now allowed to take your seat, but dont make sing or wave banners that we dont like. If you do you will then be ejected or jailed and your season ticket will be consficated. If you behave you will get a nice pat on the head and be told good boy, and see you next week.

What they really mean is give us your money, then enter the stadium and buy all the goodies. You are now allowed to take your seat, but dont make sing or wave banners that we dont like. If you do you will then be ejected or jailed and your season ticket will be consficated. If you behave you will get a nice pat on the head and be told good boy, and see you next week.

Sadly i agree your 100% right. But it's not Rangers it's all clubs that treat there fans this way. But as i have said in the past as long as enough people keep coming back then team can and will do anything they like with the fans.

On a personal not i wont taking my season ticket next year but just due to lack of money.

I see your point but £100 or more is alot of money, esp after what happened this year in the CL.

Im sure they would like to say what the future is for the fans, but we are in limbo at the moment and I dont doubt that even those at the top havent a clue what is around the corner. I think the words are said to sell tickets, pure and simple. The War Criminal said pretty much the same thing to his mob even though they have been getting attendances of fuck all.

I've got a girl starting school ,a 7 month old girl to support and a house up for sale and a job on a shakey peg.

I phoned the ticket office and explained this and asked could it be paid over the season and was told NO .The longest period being 4 months.

I will be watching from the couch next season i'm afraid..

As much chance as we had last two seasons when we invited the opposition to dictate play, play in our half, and attack us without much challenge.Very difficult to sit and watch us with the tactics employed in home european matches.

The poor european attendances this season could be worse next season because I am sure that there are many,including myself,who have the same doubts as ofb.

As much chance as we had last two seasons when we invited the opposition to dictate play, play in our half, and attack us without much challenge.Very difficult to sit and watch us with the tactics employed in home european matches.

The poor european attendances this season could be worse next season because I am sure that there are many,including myself,who have the same doubts as ofb.

Would it matter much if the ground was half-empty really?

Given how little atmosphere was generated at the European games this season i really don't think it would. Only the club's finances would take a hit, not the team.

Would it matter much if the ground was half-empty really?

Given how little atmosphere was generated at the European games this season i really don't think it would. Only the club's finances would take a hit, not the team.

im not saying im not going because we will get spanked and the teams are shit

my reason is im working 22 hours a week now, have a car to maintain and a season book.

i would happily tick the box if rangers show some desire but the squad has been trimmed to the point we are no better than the minnows in europe now.

plus the £100 we paid for that debacle was sickening. I would have been ok if we put up a fight but we whimpered and let teams stroll over us.

we just dont possess the quality on this stage at the current time.

the vibe im getting from walter to is he isnt gonna get cash to spend etc.

as i say ill support thru thick and thin but ive watched teams like motherwell put better fights up in europe recently.

£446 im paying for 18 home games so far. ill tick away cups and semi games/finals to.

im sure id be able to get my euro seat if i didnt tick to pay up front.

i hope rangers prove me wrong and strengthen

Why not start by making it completely clear just what the future holds for every Rangers fan.

I understand the sentiment, but how can Bain make the future clear when even he doesn't know what the future holds? Will someone buy us? Will they want to keep Walter? Will they want to keep Bain? WIll they have funds to invest? What agreement can be reached with the bank re renewed facilities? Will we receive any bids for any players? Will Boyd re-sign? Will Weir and the others re-sign? Etc.

Realistically, just what can Bain actually say to us at this moment?

When I came up for the Aberdeen game it was £26 for the cheapest ticket in the stadium. Felt actually robbed by our club.

£26 can get you into two Dortmund games against top Bundesliga opposition, £26 could get me into 3 Argyle games etc.

Now I know i'm a Rangers fan and therefore would rather pay more and see them over any other club in the world, but 26quid for a game against the worst sheep side in decades? And the stadium wasn't even full! Something doesn't add up there.

I can see why people lose heart with football, you pay almost a days wages by the time we've thrown in buses, food, pints etc. to see mediocre sides, in a stadium thats filled with spare seats, with next to fuck all atmosphere (except TBO and UB).

Surely the club needs to address this, make games against bottom half opposition teams FAR cheaper for one off games, therefore any seats left over from season tickets would quickly be snapped up. Surely selling-out Ibrox for slighly less a ticket, is far better than grabbing more money with 10,000 empty seats? :sherlock:

Due to being unemployed at the moment and no signs of the trade picking up I am having to cancel my ticket for the time being. Hopefully if I get work in the next few months I will be able to get my ticket back but I am struggling for the most basic things let alone a season ticket.

I understand the sentiment, but how can Bain make the future clear when even he doesn't know what the future holds? Will someone buy us? Will they want to keep Walter? Will they want to keep Bain? WIll they have funds to invest? What agreement can be reached with the bank re renewed facilities? Will we receive any bids for any players? Will Boyd re-sign? Will Weir and the others re-sign? Etc.

Realistically, just what can Bain actually say to us at this moment?

I'm sure the club could say more than they have done is all I'm suggesting.

I don't expect to know every single detail but, for example, if the debt repayment schedule is to change then I'd like to know what triggers it.

I think we both know (or hope) the club will have different strategies based on different scenarios so I don't think it's unreasonable to ask what is going to happen under the most likely one - i.e. SPL title win, CL group stage qualification and the manager staying. Under that scenario what are the financial plans with regard to player transfers and stadium improvements?

I think we're entitled to know what we're getting for our money - even in a general sense.

With us winning the league, the CL qualification and MIH results all being done by the end of the month I would imagine we will start to find out fairly quickly exactly what our current position is…..

Indeed - it is going to be a fascinating few weeks...

In many ways, I think the club would benefit from being completely transparent with all of this. Be honest and open and more fans may be inclined to dig deep.

:)

With us winning the league, the CL qualification and MIH results all being done by the end of the month I would imagine we will start to find out fairly quickly exactly what our current position is…..

Indeed - it is going to be a fascinating few weeks...

In many ways, I think the club would benefit from being completely transparent with all of this. Be honest and open and more fans may be inclined to dig deep.

:)

I went along the ticket office today and renewed for next season, but I agree Frankie that very soon we need to know what is happening with our club. I do hope that in the next 2 - 3 weeks we will hear some positive news.