Road To Success :: Thomson On The Road To Title Winning Game

Stu1993

KEVIN THOMSON'S first glimpse of what it is to be a Rangers player came as the Light Blues celebrated the title five years ago.

Having only just returned from a cruciate knee ligament injury at Hibs Thomson missed out on the final day of the season as Rangers clinched the title at Easter Road.

Amidst the drama and excitement of what is now known as Helicopter Sunday the then 20-year-old managed to secure Allan McGregor's shirt after his current team mate had sat on the bench in Leith that afternoon.

The two were friends and having agreed to pick up his shirt Thomson made his way to the visiting dressing room - a scene of wild celebration.

And now Thomson admits he is desperate to echo that success this weekend with another title win at his old stomping ground.

He said: "I had done my cruciate so I was out with a long term injury and was just getting back to fitness at the point when Rangers came and won the title.

"I knew Greegs quite well and although he wasn't too involved at the time I remember asking him for a strip after the game.

"I popped my head in the changing room afterwards, just being a bit nosey, and the celebrations were certainly something that as a player you would want to be involved in.

"Fingers crossed I can be in that changing room come Sunday and we'll be jumping around the way they were in 2005."

Thomson admits the chance to be involved in such celebrations was a key factor in bringing him to Ibrox to fulfil a long held ambition for success.

"Since I've been a young boy I've always strived to play to the best of my ability and to become a better player," he said.

"One thing I have always been, and especially when you come to a club like this, is confident in my own ability.

"I think any player should have a goal to play at a bigger team and thankfully so far my career has progressed that way.

"I'm now at a big club and enjoying my football and fighting for the honours again this year."

Another cruciate injury meant Thomson missed the Light Blues' title triumph at Tannadice last season so he is now more keen than most to wrap up the title at a stadium he used to call home.

He said: "It would be special, but no matter where we won it, it would be special.

"The boys have worked ever so hard throughout the season and we feel like we're almost there now.

"If it's going to be Easter Road on Sunday then we will all be delighted."

0,,5~8751238,00.jpg

0,,5~8751244,00.jpg

Cracking player, although having done cruciates on both legs he might not be the player he could have been. Hope that doesn't shorten his career in his late 20s (i.e. leg giving way). Just very unlucky in that department.

Like Thomson. Articulate as well. Great representative for the club.

To come back from those 2 injuries and be playing (and tackling) as well as he is, is quite remarkable. Shows real strength of character.

Well I'm sure those celebrations will be going ahead this weekend at Easter Road and on an unrelated note it always surprises me how big Danny is compared to the older players as evident in the picture there.