In The Squad We Trust :: Davis Thanks Team For His Awards

Stu1993

STEVEN DAVIS became a double winner on Sunday night when he scooped the Rangers Player of the Year and Players' Player of the Year awards at the Hilton hotel.

But the Northern Ireland international was quick to thank his teammates for making 2009/10 another season to remember.

Davis has been the creative inspiration for Walter Smith's team in the past nine months and he tops the appearance list alongside David Weir having made 47 starts for his Club, missing only one league game in the process.

The 25 year old was clearly overwhelmed at coming out on top in both polls in what could turn out to be a sensational year for the Light Blues.

He said: "I'm delighted to have won the two awards, to be honest you can't ask for anything else.

"But it's been a real team effort this year up until now and all the lads deserve credit.

"I voted for Lee McCulloch and Davie Weir for the Player of the Year and they've been brilliant, so I appreciate how big an honour it is to beat them.

"It means a lot to get the fans' vote. Madjid won it last season and it's always special to have their support.

"And to win the Players' Player again is fantastic.

"I work really hard every day in training and try to do my best for the team in every match, for them to recognise that is great."

Davis might have only scored four goals this season but his ability to create chances for others, along with his incredible energy, has made him a stand-out.

He said: "I'm not really an individual player, I try to contribute to the team as much as possible.

"I am satisfied with my season so far. I've been here two and a half seasons now and feel I've reached a good level of consistency. Obviously I'm happy with that.

"The aim is to keep it going and continue to develop as a player.

"Personal awards are a side issue really, what we achieve as a team is more important.

"At the start of the season we set out to win the league and we've done well to get ourselves in such a strong position.

"We have a great advantage over Celtic and 11 points is something to be proud of.

"There are still four games to go, but so far we're all proud of what we've achieved.

"Hopefully we'll see it through on Sunday against Hibs."

Davis hopes to cap a memorable week by helping his side clinch a second successive league triumph at Easter Road on Sunday and he has his sights set of getting a victory regardless of Celtic's result against Dundee United earlier in the day.

He said: "I think our result against Hearts at Ibrox was vital, especially after our draw at Tannadice.

"We now have to go to Easter Road which will be tough as Hibs have produced some great performances this year.

"But we know what to expect and what we are capable of, so hopefully we can become champions again.

"The title race has been a totally different experience this year.

"Two seasons ago we had that amazing European run and missed out on the league on the last day.

"Then last year we won it on the final day, which was unbelievable. But this term we've found ourselves out in front with a few games to go, but it's important to get over the finish line as soon as possible.

"Hearts was a massive win and now we want to see it out at Hibs."

Despite ongoing financial concerns surrounding the club the Gers coaching staff and players have been able to put this to the back of their minds and continue to be successful on the pitch.

Davis believes the club now has great foundations on which to build and he hopes that current contractual issues can be resolved as quickly as possible.

He added: "It's not just the players who need to sort out their future, it's the coaches and backroom staff too.

"Everyone from the fans down would like the club to sort itself out and get on an even keel financially.

"Hopefully we can start by getting that side of things in order and kick on from there

"We've managed to get into a good position on the pitch regardless of that because there have been a few things against us this season.

"But we've stayed together, battled hard and produced on the park."

0,,5~8744478,00.jpg

"I'm not really an individual player, I try to contribute to the team as much as possible." :praise::clap::praise: Davis is the ideal kind of player that any team would be chuffed to have - doesn't seek the limelight and always giving 110% for the cause. Fast becoming one of my favourite players to have donned the jersey, and that says a lot.

"I voted for Lee McCulloch" - Seems Davis shares Walters love for the guy. doh

Oh well, good on Davis as he definitely deserved it and one of my favourite players on the park week in and out. :D

Oh well, good on Davis as he definitely deserved it and one of my favourite players on the park week in and out. :D

Or he thought it would be a bit sad to vote for himself ? :rolleyes:

Or he thought it would be a bit sad to vote for himself ? :rolleyes:

Haha, must be it but I thought Boughie would have been more deserving of it than McCulloch. :)

well Davis does see them each day and like ive said in a couple of threads, when an 18 year old plays more games in his first season than our best CB has, you know somethings gone wrong. i thought it would have been wrong if bougherra got a POTY award. he hasnt played enough games.