Ally on Magic's...magic really

Boab

Ally McCoist believes Madjid Bougherra adds a different dimension to the Rangers team due to his blistering pace and desire to push further up the pitch.

The Algerian stopper was named man-of-the-match against Hearts on Sunday having produced a rock-solid display at the back alongside David Weir.

But it was his lung-bursting runs and silky skills which had the Ibrox faithful on its feet and McCoist admits it is these qualities that make him a unique player.

He said: "Over the years I can't say that I have seen many centre halves that push forward in the way that Madjid does.

"You will see full-backs doing it a lot but it's rare to see a central defender do it so often.

"He loves that side of the game and he has the skill and speed which allow him to make things happen in the last third.

"At the end of December I remember he scored that fantastic goal against Dundee United which started with a mazy run from his own half before he produced an excellent finish.

"In fact it was voted 'Goal of the Season' at Rangers' Player of the Year dinner on Sunday night.

"So he brings something a bit different to the team and we saw that against Hearts at the weekend.

"To be honest when he does make his runs I don't usually see them as I am too busy looking at the defence and making sure someone is providing cover!

"But Madjid is a terrific player and the way he has performed has definitely made him a favourite with the fans."

Bougherra will be hoping to win a second successive SPL title when Rangers travel to Easter Road on Sunday.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100422/a-unique-talent_2254024_2031745

He really is something else, Madjid, and very effective obviously in defence and also further up the field with the ball at his feet though I'm forever saying 'Our best attacking threat/player is a centre half FFS'

someone who i think we will struggle to keep a hold of this summer. if hes here next year then thats a big advantage for us.

I can't see us holding onto quality of that calibre for long either. I really really really hope we get a third season out of him though. Love the big guy!

Madjid Bougherra is a real class act both defensively and going forward.

He has been back for 2 games now and we have kept 2 clean sheets and the opposition have not looked like scoring once as well as him offering an attacking threat going forward.

We will be doing well to keep him after the summer.