Sir Alex has no intentions of retiring

Ferguson denies retirement rumour

(and some nice comments from peers)

Sir Alex Ferguson dismisses rumours he will retire as Manchester United boss at the end of next season.

The 68-year-old has been United manager for over 23 years but last year said he would step down if his health or hunger for the job ever deteriorated.

Inter Milan boss Jose Mourinho and Everton manager David Moyes have been touted as potential successors.

But Ferguson said ahead of United's crucial game against Tottenham: "It is rubbish, there is no truth in it."

The Scot almost retired in 2002 but changed his mind and subsequently went on to win a host of Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup and Champions League honours.

Although Ferguson said last year he was in the "penalty shoot-out" of his career, he has no desire to step down in the immediate future.

"I have no intention of retiring and if I did the people I would tell are (chief executive) David Gill and the Glazer family," he added.

As far as I'm concerned this is a load of nonsense

David Moyes on rumours he will replace Ferguson

"As I have said time and time again, the only that determines my staying here is my health and unfortunately for you lot (the media), I'm in rude health!

"So you'll be left to suffer me for many more years. You'll be gone before I'm gone, don't you worry!"

Ferguson's priority remains the Premier League, where United trail leaders Chelsea by a point.

His team face an all-important encounter against Champions League hopefuls Tottenham on Saturday at Old Trafford, where a victory would temporarily propel United above Carlo Ancelotti's side, who face Stoke on Sunday.

Ferguson's potential successor has been a source of constant speculation, with ex-United assistant coach Carlos Queiroz also linked with the job alongside Mourinho and Moyes.

Former Chelsea boss Mourinho recently expressed his dissatisfaction with Italian football, sparking rumours the Portuguese could be in line for a dramatic return to English football with the current Premier League champions.

Like Ferguson, Moyes hails from Glasgow and has won many admirers for his impressive work during his eight years at Everton.

The Toffees have finished in the top six of the Premier League in four of the past five seasons and he was voted manager of the year by fellow bosses in 2003 and 2005.

However, the 46-year-old dismissed speculation linking him with the Old Trafford job as "nonsense".

"It was Mark Hughes, Steve Bruce and Roy Keane being mentioned not long ago," said the former Preston boss.

"When my players are linked with clubs it annoys me. So I don't want to go into any of it. But as far as I'm concerned this is a load of nonsense.

"What I will say is I think it will be a terrible day when Sir Alex does finish. He is someone all the football managers look up to, they all respect him.

"Even when he's fighting them, he still has the humility to have a drink with them at the end of the game.

"And he still has the dignity to phone them if they are sacked or out of work. There's a lot of that from his Glasgow roots."

BBC