McGregor : I'll Savour This Day

Stu1993

ALLAN McGREGOR has won medals with Rangers before.

It's just that he hasn't usually been on the park when he has.

The 28-year-old keeper watched from the bench as Ronald Wattereus celebrated the extraordinary events of Helicopter Sunday back in 2005.

He was in the stand crocked as Neil Alexander kept out Dundee United to win the title last year.

He also sat out the Scottish Cup Final wins over Falkirk last season and Queen of the South the year before AND this year's Co-op Cup Final win over St Mirren.

Throw in the fact he missed the UEFA Cup Final in 2008, and he hasn't had the best of luck.

That is why yesterday's title win at Easter Road was more special for McGregor than any other member of Walter Smith's side.

And as he clutched a bottle of beer afterwards he admitted he was just savouring every moment this time around.

He said: "I have missed a lot of big days at this club. I have been here for a while now and I have been part of a lot of winning teams but haven't really played.

"But I feel part of this and it has just been brilliant. It's a nice feeling just to be part of the day and actually playing.

"When we won it here the last time I wasn't really thinking about not being involved. All I remember is when we heard the crowd go crazy that day the hairs stood up on the back of my neck.

"Five minutes later they went crazy again and that was just an unbelievable feeling.

"I think I get more nervous watching games than playing in them and knowing you can do something about it.

"It is hard when you are not involved - this makes it all the more sweet.

"This time last year we won it and I didn't play and Neilly was in goal. I still felt I played my part and it was an unbelievable feeling, but this tops it.

"To be in the starting 11 this time is brilliant.

"To be fair I thought Hibs were probably the better team. But the bottom line is we won. Game over. End of story."

McGregor, who DID play in the 2008 League Cup penalty shootout win over Dundee United, admitted the last few weeks were TORTURE as everyone told Smith's squad the title was theirs before they'd won it.

After doing just that McGregor soaked up the atmosphere as Gers headed back to Ibrox to party - though 24-goal Kris Boyd, who has been linked with moves away, looked a forlorn figure among it all.

Now Gers will focus on making it three in a row and McGregor, who could be sold to raise funds, admits he has no idea if Smith will be allowed to keep the team together - or will even be there himself.

Advertisement

He said: "It is important we keep the squad together. These boys know what it is all about, we know what the club is about - and we know what winning is all about. I obviously hope the manager stays, but it's not up to me, is it?

"But we know what we are all about. We have been together for two or three years now because we have not been able to buy anyone, so we know what it's all about.

"I think our record has been very good this season. It's one thing to win a title and another to retain it.

"You are there to be shot at and the gaffer has been saying that to us.

"The boys have been brilliant this season and every single person in the squad deserves credit.

"We have three games left and I hope we can play a wee bit better now than we have been doing.

"They will be three tough games and I am sure we will be going out to win every one of them."

McGregor also praised skipper David Weir, who has played EVERY minute of every league game at the age of 39.

He said: "Davie could probably play for another ten years! I hope that's me when I'm 40!

"He's different gravy and you'll never meet a nicer guy in football. He's a great guy. We have had the best defence this season and he has been a big part of it."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2947206/Ill-savour-this-I-have-missed-too-many-Gers-party-days.html#ixzz0m9pbMMvV

It's quite interesting to read what McGregor called Davie, "a different gravy." Quite a compliment to Big Davie as well. :clap: to McGregor for having a great season. Yes, we are the Champions, but we still need to finish the job- win the last three games.

Whilst McGregor has been outstanding this season, i still feel all of his off the field discrepancies brought far too much negative press on the club. It substantially added fuel to the fire for the Anti-Rangers media circles to pounce upon and throw up in our face in the daily rags. He's a top class keeper no doubt about that but he's also a top class pratt at times. Let's see how far in to next season we get before our first "Shaggergate" scandal.