Manchester City make emergency goalkeeper request

Manchester City have asked the Premier League for permission to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan deal until the end of the season.

And BBC Sport understands the request is set to be granted, even though the transfer window closed on 1 February.

Shay Given will miss City's last three games after dislocating a shoulder in the 0-0 draw with Arsenal on Saturday.

Stuart Taylor is also out and Joe Hart is on loan at Birmingham, which leaves only the inexperienced Gunnar Nielsen.

The Faroe Islands international had never played in the Premier League until the last 17 minutes of the draw at the Emirates, where Given had to leave the field on a stretcher.

However, manager Roberto Mancini has no back-up for Nielsen and cannot risk losing another goalkeeper at such a crucial stage as the club push for the fourth Champions League place.

Sixth-placed City cannot recall England international Hart under the terms of his season-long loan deal at St Andrew's, while former Arsenal keeper Taylor is still recovering from knee surgery.

Republic of Ireland international Given has been an integral figure between the posts for City since joining from Newcastle in February 2009.

His presence as City's number one keeper forced Hart, 23, to seek first-team opportunities outside of Eastlands.

Nielsen joined City in 2009 on a free transfer from Blackburn Rovers after a loan spell with Blue Square Premier side Wrexham.

I know this was said as a joke, but could we not loan them McGregor and get a big loan fee for him? Celtic payed £2m for Mo Camara for a season so McGregor for a few games must be worth a good few quid and it would put up his stock in England if we were ever to sell him.

I know this was said as a joke, but could we not loan them McGregor and get a big loan fee for him? Celtic payed £2m for Mo Camara for a season so McGregor for a few games must be worth a good few quid and it would put up his stock in England if we were ever to sell him.

Mo Camara? :lol:

Wasnt Watterraus (sp) an emergency loan ? Im sure we got him after the deadline die to Klos being in that accident

Yeah think your right, what about Mhyre/Dibble as well were they an emergency loan? I dont really agree with the principle of it especially with a club like City who have so much cash, they should have realised that during the transfer window. Hope they dont get 4th by having an emergency loan in goal

if this happens everyone will be doing it. i bet UTD Would complain they never got the chance to do this when they had like 5 CB's out.

This option is available for all teams.

Yeah think your right, what about Mhyre/Dibble as well were they an emergency loan?

Iirc that was before the transfer window, when players could move whenever...i think.

I don't see the problem with it, it's there as a rule so they can use it. I would expect us to do similar if we had to.

Manchester City will be given special dispensation to sign a goalkeeper on an emergency loan deal until the end of the season, BBC Sport understands.

Shay Given will miss City's last three games after dislocating a shoulder in the 0-0 draw with Arsenal on Saturday.

Stuart Taylor is also out and Joe Hart is on loan at Birmingham, which leaves only the inexperienced Gunnar Nielsen.

Spokesmen for Aston Villa, Tottenham Hotspur and Liverpool said they had "no comment" on the Premier League ruling.

City, Villa, Spurs and Liverpool are all vying for fourth place in the final domestic league table, which comes with the chance of additional millions of pounds from a lucrative run in the Champions League.

Only two points separate the four teams, with City taking on Villa at Eastlands on Saturday before heading to Spurs on 5 May.

Last month Chelsea faced a similar goalkeeping crisis, when Ross Turnbull was their only fit goalkeeper for the league game against West Ham, with the west Londoners promoting academy product Rhys Taylor to the bench.

Faroe Islands international Nielsen had never played in the Premier League until the last 17 minutes of the draw at the Emirates, where Given had to leave the field on a stretcher.

However, City boss Roberto Mancini has no back-up for Nielsen and cannot risk losing another stopper at such a crucial stage as the club push for the fourth Champions League place.

Sixth-place City cannot recall England international Hart under the terms of his season-long loan deal at St Andrew's, while former Arsenal keeper Taylor is still recovering from knee surgery

Republic of Ireland international Given has been an integral figure between the posts for City since joining from Newcastle in February 2009.

His presence forced Hart, 23, to seek first-team opportunities outside of Eastlands.

Nielsen joined City in 2009 on a free transfer from Blackburn Rovers after a loan spell with Blue Square Premier side Wrexham.