The 5 Stars

TheNuts

Is there a reason we have 5 stars above our crest?

Is it because we are the best team in the world? wink.gif

If anybody knows it would be much appreciated.

it was to commemorate being 1st to 50

This (tu)

Don't tell the t@rriers, but it is in memory of Charles, 5th Duke of Lincoln, whose troops, the 5th Lincoln Yeomen, famously cut the arms off poor Oirish villagers during the famine.

The troops then held the arms in the air waving the five fingers at the armless villagers.

To this day the oirish diaspora remember the villagers at get togethers by dancing with their arms held tightly by their sides, as if they have none.

Don't tell the t@rriers, but it is in memory of Charles, 5th Duke of Lincoln, whose troops, the 5th Lincoln Yeomen, famously cut the arms off poor Oirish villagers during the famine.

The troops then held the arms in the air waving the five fingers at the armless villagers.

To this day the oirish diaspora remember the villagers at get togethers by dancing with their arms held tightly by their sides, as if they have none.

(tu)

But seriously on topic it has long been a tradition in Italian football that if a team wins the scudetto 10 times they are allowed to mark it with a star on their jerseys.

When we reached the magical 50 a lot of fans contacted the Club to say that it should be marked in some way and the outcome was the five stars.

But seriously on topic it has long been a tradition in Italian football that if a team wins the scudetto 10 times they are allowed to mark it with a star on their jerseys.

When we reached the magical 50 a lot of fans contacted the Club to say that it should be marked in some way and the outcome was the five stars.

That was a great way of marking that incredible feat, but personally, I would leave it at five.

That's a great bit of Hysterical trivia from Manticore...sorry, I meant Historical trivia (I think)

It's amazing that I majored in History at University and hadn't ever heard of that tragic episode during the most troubled times of the poor humble tattie.

And to think I always had this theory that it all began with the Italians and then when a Gold star was allowed on a shirt for every European Cup or Champions League success, so we put 5 Red ones on our shirts for the 50 Championships we had won at that time.

Oh well, back to studying the History books.doh

I cannot believe the OP asked the question...

I think his tongue may well have been firmly in his cheek!!

I really hope so...

Even if it wasn't... he will never admit it now...

no no, i was asking how they came about, as in who decided, i heard it was the fans who asked.

i didnt know whether it was because we are the most successful team in the world, or because of the 50+ titles...