Would you want José Mourinho as manager?

Thermopylae

dont know how good he would be if he didnt have a big budget to play with.

How much did he spend with Porto?

do you think he could lead us to 4 trophys us 2 seasons with no money ?

Is that a sidestep?

That's not quite the full picture though, is it? Prior to that Smith had invested more heavily than any manager since Advocaat. He's had more than enough money to win two out of three SPLs.

I think Mourinho could achieve a lot with very little money.

Its not a sidestep, we dont know what he would be like if he was here not walter. At porto he had some amazain players who later got big moves because what they achieved e.g carvalho, ferreira, deco, maniche, deco. we dont have the youth players in scotland with half the talent of some of them to go and pick up with a low budget.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I, or you was the Rangers manager and we played the tims in the cl semi finals. We've just got a complete tanking but still just reach the finals, i guarantee you would react in a similar manner! Id be running up the touchline to celebrate with our support.

Its not a sidestep, we dont know what he would be like if he was here not walter. At porto he had some amazain players who later got big moves because what they achieved e.g carvalho, ferreira, deco, maniche, deco. we dont have the youth players in scotland with half the talent of some of them to go and pick up with a low budget.

You said:

"dont know how good he would be if he didnt have a big budget to play with."

His time at Porto proved how good he is without a "big budget".

Part of being a good manager at a club without much money or an astronomical wage budget is sourcing players from all over, making them a winning team and hopefully selling them on at a good profit.

Mourinho has won the domestic league with three different clubs and more impressively he's done this in three different countries. He's also been consistently very good in the Champions League.

Check out his working methods, how he trains his teams, how he prepares them mentally and physically for games, the dossiers he hands players on the opposition, the whole package and tell me you don't think he'd at least do as well in the high calibre SPL with the same budget Smith had.

You said:

Part of being a good manager at a club without much money or an astronomical wage budget is sourcing players from all over, making them a winning team and hopefully selling them on at a good profit.

Mourinho has won the domestic league with three different clubs and more impressively he's done this in three different countries. He's also been consistently very good in the Champions League.

Check out his working methods, how he trains his teams, how he prepares them mentally and physically for games, the dossiers he hands players on the opposition, the whole package and tell me you don't think he'd at least do as well in the high calibre SPL with the same budget Smith had.

I cant stand the budget argument.

Did he not buy players from the lower leagues in Portugal.

And make them world class.

You said:

and you are jumping to conclusions that because he has won the EPL And the Seria A He would be good here ? didnt work out to well for Le Guen. im only stating i dont know how good he would be with no money. at porto he had a bigger budget than what smith has, he plucked young players out from the yotuh teams over there and built them up. the youths over here dont have half the talent deco had.

I cant stand the budget argument.

Did he not buy players from the lower leagues in Portugal.

And make them world class.

He may not have made them world class but he gave them the platform to achieve greatness. That's all you can ask of any manager.

Yes, most probably. However, why do some people continually use this 'no money' nonsense when talking about Smith?

You said:

and you are jumping to conclusions that because he has won the EPL And the Seria A He would be good here ? didnt work out to well for Le Guen. im only stating i dont know how good he would be with no money. at porto he had a bigger budget than what smith has, he plucked young players out from the yotuh teams over there and built them up. the youths over here dont have half the talent deco had.

HAHAHA.

Cant believe your comparing him to Le guen.

Joke.

You said:

HAHAHA.

Cant believe your comparing him to Le guen.

Joke.

what so everyone wasnt excited when le guen came ?.

Yes, most probably. However, why do some people continually use this 'no money' nonsense when talking about Smith?

the same reason Smith moans about him not being able to strengthen for a few years now because of no money.

Did Le Guen win the EPL or Serie A? Did Le Guen win the UEFA Cup and Champions League? Did Le Guen have as strong a command of English as Mourinho? Did Le Guen even spend anywhere near the amount of money that Smith has had since his return?

What was Mourinho's transfer budget at Porto and how does this compare to Smith's since his return? What was his wage budget at Porto and how does this compare to Smith's since his return?

Did everyone think Le Guen was going to be a success here because what he done with Lyon ? Yes, everyone thought he was a great appointment. Im only stating not everyone is a success everywhere they go, and we dont know how Jose would react to the clubs financial state just now.

Did everyone think Le Guen was going to be a success here because what he done with Lyon ? Yes, everyone thought he was a great appointment. Im only stating not everyone is a success everywhere they go, and we dont know how Jose would react to the clubs financial state just now.

Fairy nuff but that's not what you said to begin with.

It's all conjecture but I don't think for one minute, given exactly the same working conditions, Walter Smith would ever outperform Mourinho. That's not a slight on Smith by the way.

the same reason Smith moans about him not being able to strengthen for a few years now because of no money.

Have a look at what we paid for our current squad. It's not the pittance that some, including Smith, would have us believe.

If I, or you was the Rangers manager and we played the tims in the cl semi finals. We've just got a complete tanking but still just reach the finals, i guarantee you would react in a similar manner! Id be running up the touchline to celebrate with our support.

Walter wouldn't be reacting like that though.

You're right, Walter very seldom acknowledges the Rangers support. I remember him being delighted for Martin bain and David Murray when we reached the UEFA Cup final, not a whisper about the best travelling support in world football though.

Walter celebrated with Ally and the rest of the coaching staff, looked up into the stands, shook hands with the oposition manager and then went and celebrated with the players. That's how it should be.

Smith seldom, if ever, acknowledges the support. I think it's nice the way Mourinho respects his club's fan base. Alex Ferguson after winning the CL said "this is for the support, they deserve it and got us over the line."

I've yet to see or hear such sentiments from our manager either during this tour of duty or the last one in the 90s.