'I play for the money. Football's not my passion'

if any player in this day claims they are playing for the love of the game, they are fucking at it if you ask me

the amount of cheating, lying and downright shambolic behaviour ON FIELD nowadays tells me that getting their bonuses and making sure they get paid is more important than winning

Fair play to him. It's kind of sad though, I reckon. His honesty is to be commended but I don't really agree with anyone doing a job they don't care about just for money. There are more important things. For most footballers I'd say the football should be more important. For him I'd say maybe something else should be. Obviously it'd be hard to turn down a footballer's salary though.

It's a shame he's not passionate about a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Very refreshing article.

Perhaps Kris Boyd should take note of this honesty. If he loves Rangers as much as he claims, then he would have signed that new contract by now, instead of sulking about like a 5-year old on the day we clinch an extremely important championship, whilst doing his potential bank balance sums in his head.

It seems hes missed the point of the Lens chairmans comment about him not loving the shirt, he thinks hes talking about loving the actual shirt :lol: :lol: :lol: I am actually pissing myself at this...

"I don't understand why everybody lies. The president of my former club Lens, Gervais Martel, said I left because I got more money in England, that I didn't care about the shirt. I said: 'Is there one player in the world who signs for a club and says, Oh, I love your shirt?' Your shirt is red. I love it. He doesn't care. The first thing that you speak about is the money.

Brilliant! :lol:

Also, I agree with what hes saying.

There are still people out there who play football for the love of the game

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7649109.stm

Etxeberria will play for nothing

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are not words enough to thank such a gesture."

He's a top man as well and I bet there are couple of others in their team that will do the same if they have to.

There are still people out there who play football for the love of the game

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/7649109.stm

Etxeberria will play for nothing

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are not words enough to thank such a gesture."

He's a top man as well and I bet there are couple of others in their team that will do the same if they have to.

Thats brilliant to see. Need some guys like this at Rangers