DU applauded the champions onto the pich.

nvager

I am going to risk appearing foolish here, but what is all this talk of being applauded on to the pitch??? Is this something that has always happened? When did this tradition start and is it something that we have ever done ourselves????

I remember a few seasons ago when we played Celtic... the one where Boyd scored his 100th SPL goal and his only goal against that lot... 2007 I think... If I remember rightly (and maybe I don't) the league was already over before that game??? Did we applaud them onto the pitch???

I am not fishing or anything here I just genuinely did not know that there was any obligation or tradition of applauding the champions onto the pitch and I am pretty sure that if it was the other way round we would be in no hurry to do it for them???

I am going to risk appearing foolish here, but what is all this talk of being applauded on to the pitch??? Is this something that has always happened? When did this tradition start and is it something that we have ever done ourselves????

I remember a few seasons ago when we played Celtic... the one where Boyd scored his 100th SPL goal and his only goal against that lot... 2007 I think... If I remember rightly (and maybe I don't) the league was already over before that game??? Did we applaud them onto the pitch???

I am not fishing or anything here I just genuinely did not know that there was any obligation or tradition of applauding the champions onto the pitch and I am pretty sure that if it was the other way round we would be in no hurry to do it for them???

It's quite simply a question of whether or not the fans/opposing team are big enough to congratulate their opponent despite the rivalry. Example's are Ronaldinho getting a standing ovation at the Bernabeu after trouncing them 3-0 single handedly, Fergie making his players welcome Chelski on to the pitch with a Guard of Honour, after they clinched the league under Jose....... in other words its a show of class, thats why it won't happen mid-week.

Of course they will.They will do what all sportsmanlike clubs do and give us polite applause from a guard of honour as the players run on the the pitch.

Following that sincere welcome to the SPL Champions, TGFITW will all join in with a quiet congratulatory rendition of, 'Simply The Best' which will be orchestrated by Mr Lennon who will lead the sing-song before presenting Wattie with a bottle of Buckie and a sprig of Shamrock. ( For good luck, of course )

Then again,if that happened,I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Loch Ness Monster and a two headed Martian made a half time appearance.:sherlock::wink:

It's quite simply a question of whether or not the fans/opposing team are big enough to congratulate their opponent despite the rivalry. Example's are Ronaldinho getting a standing ovation at the Bernabeu after trouncing them 3-0 single handedly, Fergie making his players welcome Chelski on to the pitch with a Guard of Honour, after they clinched the league under Jose....... in other words its a show of class, thats why it won't happen mid-week.

Ok... but has it happened before? Have we done it for them? Is it a tradition? Never heard of this before....

I don't expect them too nor would I expect us to if the situation was reversed.

I would say exactly the opposite.

I would expect them to clap us out and if the roles were reversed us to clap them onto the pitch.

Spotrsmanship and all that.

I don't expect them too nor would I expect us to if the situation was reversed.

I would say exactly the opposite.

I would expect them to clap us out and if the roles were reversed us to clap them onto the pitch.

Spotrsmanship and all that.

I wouldn't clap them onto the pitch.

I don't expect them to do it for us, i'd just love to see it.

I was surprised by the DU response and hats off to them for it.

However, for it to happen between us and that other lot is pie in the sky dreaming. Would not happen, and no one would ever expect it to.

What a stupid thread!!!!

I can gaurantee there would be 0% of our fans that would applaud them!

And if someone did he would be shot down in flames by the fans around him...and rightly so!

Why would they applaud us or us them!

Stupid stupid stupid!

I'm sure it only happens for the first game after you actually clinch the title, not the rest of the season.

For instance, I'm sure that if we won the title Saturday vs Dundee Utd, a guard of honour would be more or less mandatory.