Newcastle Keeper Linked

Sorry if Repost

Newcastle United goalkeeper Fraser Forster is reportedly interesting Rangers, who could make a loan move for the player in the summer. The 22-year-old, who is yet to play for the Magpies, has had an impressive season on loan at League One champions Norwich City.

Forster has been a virtual ever-present for Paul Lambert's Canaries after swapping Bristol Rovers for Carrow Road in August, having found first team opportunities at St James' Park hard to come by.

Steve Harper and former Falkirk loanee Tim Krul will be ahead of Forster in the pecking order for when Newcastle return to the English Premier League next season, leading to the promising keeper being linked with a loan switch to Ibrox by local press in the north east.

The Northern Echo claimed over the weekend that Walter Smith is pondering a move for a player who turned down a trial at Ibrox during Paul le Guen's tenure to sign a professional contract with Newcastle.

Allan McGregor remains the number one choice at Rangers but his deputy, Neil Alexander, is increasingly thought to be on the verge of leaving Glasgow in search of guaranteed first-team football.

That would pave the way for Forster to come in and challenge McGregor for his number one jersey and battle it out for a place in a Rangers team which has already qualified for next season's Champions League group stages.

Forster is expected to achieve international recognition from the England under-21s squad in the near future, despite being 22. Fifa rules stipulate that players can still turn out for the age group despite being over-age as long as they qualified at the start of the team's current qualification campaign.

England started their 2011 European under-21 Championship qualifiers back in September 2009 when Forster was 21, leaving him eligible to play up until the end of the tournament in June 2011.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/rangers/174507-newcastle-united-keeper-interesting-rangers/

anguish.gif i was hoping for steve harpers name to come up. who the fuck is this guy.??

It's obvious it wasn't going to be Steve Harper.

anguish.gif i was hoping for steve harpers name to come up. who the fuck is this guy.??

It's obvious it wasn't going to be Steve Harper.

I thought of Krul but even that was unlikely.

Tbh im not reading too much into any transfer rumours until the sale of our club.

I know we can be looking at players but thats all it'll be imo until a transfer budget is in place if/when we are sold.

He's very highly rated at Newcastle mind. It wouldn't surprise me if he replaced Harper within a year

I would of thought Tim Krul would replace him?

Apparently there's not much between them mate. Most Mags I know what Harper out and given Fosters performances this season; he will probably be favourite to replace him