SDM and the Presidents Role

SDM as President  

181 members have voted

1. 1. Simple poll Yes or No

• Yes
    • No

I thought this was worthy of a poll but given that a Presdients role is mainly symbolic, that he has put a lot of money into the club, has served at the helm for 20, mainly sucessful years (lets not forget these last 2 championships are under his ownership as well and he brought Walter back!). Rangers have a history of treating their own well and I think he deserves this honour.

What say you?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No. His increased wealth and his knighthood have been achieved on the back of his association with Rangers. His time has been and gone. This is just the last act of an egomaniac who had a training ground named after him, despite all the Rangers greats who could have been honoured.

Yes, he deserves it. I'm awaiting the angry posts "explaining" why he doesn't deserve it. This should be fun :)

Edit: Will we have a sweep on the first poster to use the term "lapdog?"

I've given reasons above. Not enough?

How about the fact that not once, but twice, he gambled with our finances, spending money which we didn't have?

Yes, he deserves it. I'm awaiting the angry posts "explaining" why he doesn't deserve it. This should be fun :)

How about the fact that not once, but twice, he gambled with our finances, spending money which we didn't have?

So you would have no problem with celtic having 5 in a row right now ?

The first gamble was far too large and money was spent that wasn't needed. the majority of money spent this time was needed 100% to get back on top of the filth. No one wanted to eb in this position but how else would you have gotten back on top ?

Your reasons above were:

1 - As a businessman, he made money from a business deal;

2 - He was knighted as a long-serving chairman of the quintessential British Club.

No, not enough.

Your additional reasons, still not enough. Are you saying you'd rather not have seen Gazza, Laudrup et. al at Ibrox? Admittedly, he overspent in an era when clubs were overspending. He was Chairman presiding over us getting into a large amount of debt, but while sorting out a new payment plan with the bank, we have won two leagues. We are clearly still a viable business opportunity, as we have at least one person serious about buying us.

Anyway, I don't plan on arguing about this all day. Murray has done a lot of good for Rangers. He's made a few mistakes, but I don't believe any were made intentionally to endanger the future of Rangers, do you? The time and money he has put into the club (yes, he has) makes me think he deserves this honourary position, he won't have any control over the club, but he will be able to come and go as he pleases and get tickets for games. What's the big deal?

The first gamble was far too large and money was spent that wasn't needed. the majority of money spent this time was needed 100% to get back on top of the filth. No one wanted to eb in this position but how else would you have gotten back on top ?

Maybe we did need to spend the money, but why not spend it before we got fucked out of Europe by Kaunas. He gambled, he lost and then he chased those losses because of the heat they were getting from the stands. There was no concern to the long-term damage that this could cause.

Just one more knee-jerk reaction from Murray.

Your reasons above were:

2 - He was knighted as a long-serving chairman of the quintessential British Club.

No, not enough.

Your additional reasons, still not enough. Are you saying you'd rather not have seen Gazza, Laudrup et. al at Ibrox? Admittedly, he overspent in an era when clubs were overspending. He was Chairman presiding over us getting into a large amount of debt, but while sorting out a new payment plan with the bank, we have won two leagues. We are clearly still a viable business opportunity, as we have at least one person serious about buying us.

Anyway, I don't plan on arguing about this all day. Murray has done a lot of good for Rangers. He's made a few mistakes, but I don't believe any were made intentionally to endanger the future of Rangers, do you? The time and money he has put into the club (yes, he has) makes me think he deserves this honourary position, he won't have any control over the club, but he will be able to come and go as he pleases and get tickets for games. What's the big deal?

I agree with you for the most part. The mistakes made endangered the clubs financial stability, so intentional or not, these mistakes were massive. What would his actual role be as President?

Get him to fuck, he's done enough damage ot our club. Years of drastic overspending seen us in over £100 million in debt and when we finally paid all that off he swore never to make the same mistake.

That was lies of course, he did the same thing when Walter returned and look at the state we were left in when he finally decided to step away.

Aye, thanks David, thanks for nothing. Someone tell me one real positive he has brought to Rangers Football Club? And if anyone says 9 in a row then i completely give up.

No. His increased wealth and his knighthood have been achieved on the back of his association with Rangers. His time has been and gone. This is just the last act of an egomaniac who had a training ground named after him, despite all the Rangers greats who could have been honoured.

He was a self made millionaire before he even got interested in Rangers.

I agree with you for the most part. The mistakes made endangered the clubs financial stability, so intentional or not, these mistakes were massive. What would his actual role be as President?

He did make some big mistakes, and I'm not his biggest fan. I just think the knee-jerk hatred of him by a LOT of people on here is ridiculous. For me, his biggest sin has been not defending the fans over allegations made in certain quarters.

I don't think he would have an active role at all, it would be an honourary position only.

Maybe we did need to spend the money, but why not spend it before we got fucked out of Europe by Kaunas. He gambled, he lost and then he chased those losses because of the heat they were getting from the stands. There was no concern to the long-term damage that this could cause.

Just one more knee-jerk reaction from Murray.

We needed to sell cuellar to help fund it and we hadn’t done that by then.

The bottom line is we shouldn’t have needed to buy anyone to beat kaunus, let alone the amount we did. Sir David is not to blame for that, walter and especially the players are

Again i ask would you rather he didn't spoend that money and sellck won 4 or 5 in a row ?

Your reasons above were:

No, not enough.

Anyway, I don't plan on arguing about this all day.
Murray has done a lot of good for Rangers. He's made a few mistakes, but I don't believe any were made intentionally to endanger the future of Rangers, do you? The time and money he has put into the club (yes, he has) makes me think he deserves this honourary position, he won't have any control over the club, but he will be able to come and go as he pleases and get tickets for games. What's the big deal?

Really?

You started a poll/thread on a subject which would obviously cause division, followed up with

This should be fun.

Still not enough.

Why did he duck out, again twice, when the going got tough?

Hence, the word increased.

He did make some big mistakes, and I'm not his biggest fan. I just think the knee-jerk hatred of him by a LOT of people on here is ridiculous. For me, his biggest sin has been not defending the fans over allegations made in certain quarters.

I don't think he would have an active role at all, it would be an honourary position only.

That part is unforgivable in my eyes. He only spoke when it suited him. As soon as he took a step down earlier in the season you could see the difference, Martin Bain has been defending the club a lot more which, like him or not, is good to see.

TBH if he has Murray has no say in decision and it is just to watch games etc. Then why not, it won't do anyone any harm. He is just another number now, someone in the background.

Hence, the word increased.

He tried to buy Ayr Utd and Bill Barr wouldn't sell - hence the reason he bought Rangers instead.

He may have been even more wealthy had he not put an awful lot of his personal wealth into the club, and we would not have enjoyed the sucess we have during his tenure.

He has made mistakes but he's also done a lot for our club that others wouldn't even think of.

Really?

You started a poll/thread on a subject which would obviously cause division, followed up with

This should be fun.

No I didn't :unsure:

Apologies. The similarities in the usernames fooled me.

Accepted mate, easy mistake to make. You just have to remember BP9 = handwringer, bp = not-handwringer :D

I think that General C.Lee has just about summed it up correctly regarding The Mint.The people who are dead against this as yet unsubstantiated role/Title for SDM don't seem to realise the bigger picture that resulted from SDM taking control of our Club back in 1988 from Lawrence Marlborough.

Modern day Ibrox=World class stadium.

Murray Park=World class training facility.

World class players from all over the world playing for Rangers.

15 Titles.---9 Scottish Cups.---11 League Cups.--a UEFA Cup Final.

IMO, I think an honourary title is a small price to pay for the man who turned Scottish football on its head by the vision he had for our Club.

I think that General C.Lee has just about summed it up correctly regarding The Mint.The people who are dead against this as yet unsubstantiated role/Title for SDM don't seem to realise the bigger picture that resulted from SDM taking control of our Club back in 1988 from Lawrence Marlborough.

Modern day Ibrox=World class stadium.

Murray Park=World class training facility.

World class players from all over the world playing for Rangers.

15 Titles.---9 Scottish Cups.---11 League Cups.--a UEFA Cup Final.

IMO, I think an honourary title is a small price to pay for the man who turned Scottish football on its head by the vision he had for our Club.

That just about sums it all up in one mate - well said.