AJ jetting back in, talks about the season

Boab

By Lindsay Herron

Alastair Johnston will be proud man on Sunday when he witnesses the crowning of Rangers as SPL champions because he believes it will go down as one of the club's most impressive achievements.

The Chairman will arrive later this week to be part of the pomp and ceremony of the presentation of the trophy and, more importantly, for a series of pre-planned meetings.

Johnston will meet with the Board, of course, as well as the management team and there are also meetings planned with the bank over the plans for the future.

Clearly there is much to discuss in the coming week but firstly Sunday will be a time to savour an excellent season on the field.

Johnston said: "I think winning the title this year will go down as one of the greatest feats in Rangers' history.

"The fact that the team was able to win the title is amazingly commendable and huge testament to Walter, Ally and Kenny and the entire playing staff.

"Given the circumstances in which we are operating and having gone through a lot of cost-cutting last year everyone has hung in so well.

"I know the morale was not great at times - in all aspects of the club - but I think this League Championship will have put a smile on everyone's face.

"I was fortunate that I saw a lot of games. I was at the Dundee United game when we won 7-1 and I was there for two Celtic games that were very key for the final outcome - the late equaliser at Parkhead and the very late winner from Edu at Ibrox.

"These were certainly turning points and two of the many positives in the season.

"There were some negatives too. It was too bad that we lost a late goal in Bucharest because that took a lot of fizz out of our European campaign.

"But who knows? If we had parachuted into the Europa League we might have taken our eye off the ball in terms of the SPL.

"We made the Scottish Cup run very difficult for ourselves with three replays at a time when we wanted to be resting the team.

"But of course there were a lot more positives and the outcome was very satisfactory and very pleasing.

"I remember when I did my first interviews with the press on becoming Chairman and the headlines then read 'Rangers in crisis'.

"At that point we were four points behind Celtic. It wasn't ideal but I don't think it was crisis.

"Since that point everyone has worked extremely hard and there has been a very pleasing outcome."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100506/a-time-to-celebrate-and-strategise_2254024_2044908