Days of Wine and Moonbeams !

Wednesday, 4 July, 2001, 17:45 GMT 18:45 UK

Rangers unveil new training complex

Murray and Advocaat officially open Murray Park

Rangers chairman David Murray unveiled the club's new £14m training ground on Wednesday and promised that the benefits of the investment would soon be evident.

The complex at Auchenhowie on the outskirts of Glasgow will be named Murray Park - after the chairman - and will offer the club's players the very best in training and rehabilitation facilities.

The club will also base their new youth academy at Auchenhowie - a move Murray believes will provide huge benefits for Rangers' future.

The only time Rangers players will now see Ibrox is on match days.

If the club has a future we must train our own players

David Murray

Rangers chairman

"It is not only significant for Rangers, but for Scottish football it was long overdue and needed," said Murray.

"It is something every Rangers supporter can be very proud of.

"Cricket grounds and muddy rugby pitches are not the places to put £50m or £60m worth of players."

Murray Park covers 38-acres and includes six full-size pitches, two half-size, an indoor pitch and training centre.

It is split into two halves: one area devoted to the first team squad and the other for youth development.

Medical equipment available to club doctor Gert Jan Goudsward is state-of-the-art, while a £50,000 video editing suite will see Dick Advocaat linked to a camera operator by walkie-talkie during each training session so footage can be shown in a lecture room afterwards.

Murray acknowledged the role played by Advocaat in the creation of the new complex - its creation was something the Dutchman insisted upon if he was to stay at Ibrox.

Murray acknowledged Advocaat's input

"He gave it added impetus," admitted Murray.

"If the club has a future, we must train our own players - it is something we have not done enough of recently and hopefully that will happen more now."

Murray insisted that he would have no qualms about getting out the cheque-book again if he or Advocaat thought that was necessary.

"If we have got to spend £5m or £6m a player we will do that," he added.

Murray and Advocaat were speaking on the day the first team squad flew out to Holland for a pre-season tour.

Rangers' latest signing, Russell Latapy, told BBC Scotland before he left that he was looking forward to a successful career with his new club.

"It's every player's dream to play for a club like Rangers," said the former Hibs favourite.

"I'm happy to have this opportunity and now I want to concentrate on contributing to the goodness of the club."

Latapy denied saying that Rangers were bigger than Celtic, adding that he saw them both as massive clubs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/1422680.stm

We should punt that place it hasn't really been a goldmine of talent has it ? :sherlock:

We should punt that place it hasn't really been a goldmine of talent has it ? :sherlock:

I'd agree with you,BD, that it certainly hasn't really lived up to the initial euphoria about it being a talent producing investment, but I certainly disagree that we should bin it, because it SHOULD BE a place that churns out youthful talent that step up to the 1st team.

The whole concept of Auchenhowie is absolutely first class and really necessary for a top football club such as Rangers.The problem is not in having Auchenhowie, but in the way it is ran and the people who are employed to make it work for us.

Clubs who have similar set-ups to ours, churn out players like a bloody conveyor belt system where the kids either get sold on to other clubs or they mature with the club and then get sold for a massive amount of money.

Maybe we should look at how to get the place operating like it was meant to, not sell it and go back to training on Coo paddocks.

We should punt that place it hasn't really been a goldmine of talent has it ? 10310.gif

I'd agree with you,BD, that it certainly hasn't really lived up to the initial euphoria about it being a talent producing investment, but I certainly disagree that we should bin it, because it SHOULD BE a place that churns out youthful talent that step up to the 1st team.

The whole concept of Auchenhowie is absolutely first class and really necessary for a top football club such as Rangers.The problem is not in having Auchenhowie, but in the way it is ran and the people who are employed to make it work for us.

Clubs who have similar set-ups to ours, churn out players like a bloody conveyor belt system where the kids either get sold on to other clubs or they mature with the club and then get sold for a massive amount of money.

Maybe we should look at how to get the place operating like it was meant to, not sell it and go back to training on Coo paddocks.

I think you'll find that footballl is littered with players who were developed by Rangers, its just that very few have been goood enough for our first team and other teams have to play these kids by nessesity. Oh and we have sold on players who were developed there and have first team players that were developed there. You dont have to look to hard to see them. Dont let ant=y facts get in the way of having a dig!

Cant expect miracles, 9 mill for hutton has nearly paid for the whole complex and how much are wilson , mcgregor, fleck worth, Murray park is slowly but surely starting to churn out genuine talent.

We should punt that place it hasn't really been a goldmine of talent has it ? 10310.gif

I think you'll find that footballl is littered with players who were developed by Rangers, its just that very few have been goood enough for our first team and other teams have to play these kids by nessesity. Oh and we have sold on players who were developed there and have first team players that were developed there. You dont have to look to hard to see them. Dont let ant=y facts get in the way of having a dig!

I wasn't having a dig at all. I was just pointing out that we should NOT bin Auchenhowie because if other fans think it is a waste of time and money, then obviously something isn't working to expectations and why it's possibly not working as well as some fans would expect.

I'm all for Auchenhowie BTW.

We should be training on our own doorstep, why are we training away over at the other end of the world ? What has that area got to do with US ? The old Albion area should have been utilised better instead of used for the prawn sandwich mob. Keeping the training would have also boosted the area which is dying on it's feet. PRW would have been jumping every day of the week. If they wanted a fcukin swimmin pool I'm sure there is room in the bowels of Ibrox to accommodate. But no moonbeams knew better ! Maybe he's gonnae punt it tae his pal Ellis ? :sherlock:

The space just isnt there at Albion though BD, I mean MP has 38 acres, dunno how many the area round the albion car park has but nowhere near the size of MP I would imagine. It was never going to be an overnight success but there have been examples of talent being produced over the years since it opened. I would argue it hasnt been used as resourcefully as it could've been, something the club needs to work on methinks.

As for the area round Ibrox, Craigton Drumoyne being in decline, well how can that be the case when I live in that neck of the woods, I have singlehandedly increased the ambience round there with my presence! :sherlock:

Think it's still to early to make an judgement on Murray Park tbh, Chinese proverb..

When planning for a year, plant corn

when planning for a decade, plant trees

when planning for life, train and educate people.

Murray Park (or Auchenhowie for the Anti SDM Mob) is NOT a youth academy though. Its a state of the art training facility for the players with the academy side of it being only a small section. That is something that tends to get overlooked anytime anyone feels its time to have a pop at it.

The space just isnt there at Albion though BD, I mean MP has 38 acres, dunno how many the area round the albion car park has but nowhere near the size of MP I would imagine. It was never going to be an overnight success but there have been examples of talent being produced over the years since it opened. I would argue it hasnt been used as resourcefully as it could've been, something the club needs to work on methinks.

As for the area round Ibrox, Craigton Drumoyne being in decline, well how can that be the case when I live in that neck of the woods, I have singlehandedly increased the ambience round there with my presence! :sherlock:

Think you know what I mean C, think what is going to stick in my craw is that shower shite are going to get a state of the art facility handed to them on a plate for zilch or a £1 even when the commonwealth games are finished. Mark my words they are going to get it ! :sherlock:

Think you know what I mean C, think what is going to stick in my craw is that shower shite are going to get a state of the art facility handed to them on a plate for zilch or a £1 even when the commonwealth games are finished. Mark my words they are going to get it ! :sherlock:

Don't mind the Shameless ones paying a fare rent on the facilities, but getting anything handed to them for free should be taken up with the powers that be in 'Auld Reekie'

Makes me livid too mate, we al know the east end needs regenerated, I've no problem with it, but so does Govan, whats Govan getting out of these games, oh yes Rugby sevens, haud me back! If they get any facilities for free or near enough, paid for with taxpayers money then questions will need to be asked, but then we all know what a shower of crooks GCC are, and how the pro-tim mafia will use all the ends avaiable to get one over on us and everyone else. Glasgow deserves better.

Makes me livid too mate, we al know the east end needs regenerated, I've no problem with it, but so does Govan, whats Govan getting out of these games, oh yes Rugby sevens, haud me back! If they get any facilities for free or near enough, paid for with taxpayers money then questions will need to be asked, but then we all know what a shower of crooks GCC are, and how the pro-tim mafia will use all the ends avaiable to get one over on us and everyone else. Glasgow deserves better.

Govan deserves better ! :sherlock:

I might stand in Govan for the concil elections next year as I should really try and do something with the politics degree I'm doing. Govan could do worse than elect me. Imagine that though, a protestant Rangers fan on the cooncil! :sherlock:

I might stand in Govan for the concil elections next year as I should really try and do something with the politics degree I'm doing. Govan could do worse than elect me. Imagine that though, a protestant Rangers fan on the cooncil! :sherlock:

That is exactly what we need ! :sherlock:

If anyone wondered why a London barrow boy type like Ellis was interested in Rangers FC then they need only check out the size of Auchenhowie ("covers 38-acres") for the answer.

It would be an instant cash-back situation for Ellis & Co.

As the movie title says, "Gone In 60-Seconds!" :angry:

If anyone wondered why a London barrow boy type like Ellis was interested in Rangers FC then they need only check out the size of Auchenhowie ("covers 38-acres") for the answer.

I thought it couldn't be built on for residential or industrial purposes? The only reason we got it was because it was effectively remaining as greenbelt?

I thought it couldn't be built on for residential or industrial purposes? The only reason we got it was because it was effectively remaining as greenbelt?

i think you might have a point here as im convinced the local council said they wouldnt allow any houses/property to be built on the auchenhowie and im not sure the land its built on can sustain a housing development

Any chance of a wee list of the players that have left Rangers after being brought up using Murray Park?

The obvious ones, Macgregor, Hutton, Wilson, Fleck, Burke, Adam, S.Smith, A.Little, Namouchi :craphead:, McCormack

Adam, Burke, McCormack and S.Smith all went or seem to be going on the cheap. Had good use out of Hutton and Macgregor anyway

Murray Park (or Auchenhowie for the Anti SDM Mob) is NOT a youth academy though. Its a state of the art training facility for the players with the academy side of it being only a small section. That is something that tends to get overlooked anytime anyone feels its time to have a pop at it.

this (tu)

all we need now is proper training regimes and we'll look like a proper outfit now :P