Walter on Davie Weir: "It looks as though he could go on.

Boab

by Lindsay Herron

Walter Smith savoured a glorious trophy celebration at Ibrox today and indicated that captain Davie Weir will be back to lead the charge for three in a row next season.

There had been debate about whether Weir - who will be 40 tomorrow - would sign on for another season.

But after watching him lift the SPL trophy after the 3-3 draw with Motherwell Smith virtually confirmed that Weir will be here for the 2010/11 season.

The manager said: "It looks as though he could go on. He has not missed a game this season. There doesn't look to be a reason why he can't go on.

"He has been terrific for us this season. He hasn't missed a minute and his play this season would indicate that there is not going to be a drastic drop in his form for next season."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100509/weir-can-lead-title-charge_2254024_2047567

He certainly would only stay if her's first choice and I doubt Webster would be much faster.

leave on a high davie big man, dont potentially ruin your rangers career by playing next season and having a stinker

i agree with you mate.

People have been saying that for three years now.

this is his first title as sole captain of the club, now would be the right time for him to call it a day

SDoW has been one of our best players this season, up there with Davis and Bougie.

Why on earth should he leave now?

You're a long time retired. He'll go on for another season, and rightly so.

SDoW has been one of our best players this season, up there with Davis and Bougie.

Why on earth should he leave now?

You're a long time retired. He'll go on for another season, and rightly so.

he might not have such a good team around him next season

and that may just show up his old age

todays 2nd for motherwell, broadfoot's complete lack of pace in tackling the guy long before weir made a cunt of it

would hate to see weirs rangers career end on a bad note

Player/Coach would be the best option imo. As backup to Bougherra/Wilson/New folks.

He wouldn't be back-up, with this family down south.

Player/Coach would be the best option imo. As backup to Bougherra/Wilson/New folks.

He wouldn't be back-up, with this family down south.

Agree Boab, im sure if he would rather go back down to be with his family than sit up here on a bench.

I find it incredible that people think Weir is not up to it and doesn't hold our defence together.

:wink:

You're correct. Here was me thinking he's slower than a week in the jail and sits so deep it negatively impacts how we are set up but generally goes unpunished in the fabulous league that is the SPL.

How laughable to think the likes of Cuellar and Boogie needed an old man to make them look good.

I would like to think that Davie will be the 1st to know and admit when he thinks he has become a liability to the team and that he will also do the right thing by Walter.

It's my opinion that Walter doesn't have a problem with his defence playing so deep ( which I personally dislike ) and that's why he sets the team with 2 sitting midfielders in McCulloch and Thomson a lot of the time.

If Walter or whoever is the manager next season decides to set the defence high up the pitch, then I can see Weir retiring because he obviously would be a liability with his lack of pace.

If I was Sir Davie of Weir,I'd retire at the highest point in my career,which means retire now...But as one poster said,"You're a long time retired" and playing is like a drug, so I guess it's all up to D.W.

:clap::21::pipe: