Should We Have Won 10 In A Row

minstral

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In terms of dissapointment I can remember a couple of games from that season. One was the killie game which I had already posted about.

One was at Fir Park when we were just terrible. McCoist scored and went fuckin mental and the Scottish players were going crazy trying to lift the foreigners who just didn't look interested.

Another one was after we beat Celtic twice in a week. Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Stephen Glass scored and we got beat 1-0 and totally handed the initiative back to Celtic.

When we lost 10IAR I couldn't believe it. I was 11 at the time and from when I had started watching football I hadn't seen rangers lose a championship. I didn't understand what was happening.

the sheep game was big amo's first ever start for us was it not

and he got sent off near the end

to top that off, albertz was sent off in the final league game and missed the cup final

that 2-0 at ibrox against the beggars should have been the spur we needed

I was only 6/7 at the time and the only game I can remember from that season was the cup final defeat to Hearts.

That was the first real memory of being a Rangers fan and it was after this game that I really followed Rangers.

In terms of dissapointment I can remember a couple of games from that season. One was the killie game which I had already posted about.

One was at Fir Park when we were just terrible. McCoist scored and went fuckin mental and the Scottish players were going crazy trying to lift the foreigners who just didn't look interested.

Another one was after we beat Celtic twice in a week. Aberdeen at Pittodrie. Stephen Glass scored and we got beat 1-0 and totally handed the initiative back to Celtic.

When we lost 10IAR I couldn't believe it. I was 11 at the time and from when I had started watching football I hadn't seen rangers lose a championship. I didn't understand what was happening.

the sheep game was big amo's first ever start for us was it not

and he got sent off near the end

to top that off, albertz was sent off in the final league game and missed the cup final

that 2-0 at ibrox against the beggars should have been the spur we needed

Aye big Amo had a bit of a nightmare towards the end of the season. He got made an arse of Hearts 2nd goal in the cup final as well if I remember. Breaks my heart when I see McCoist scoring his final goal for the Gers and isn't even able to celebrate it.

Another game was when we played Kilmarnock away, i think it was in Feb and we drew 1-1. Thats when there was a mix up when Goram came out to collect the ball and Bjorklund headed it passed him. :(

We also lost a last minute goal at the piggery.

Was that after a ridiculous red card to gazzza ?

Yes General can you mind that he tangled with Wieghorst where there was no contact and that C--T Rowbotham sent him off.

The thing was though we actually went 1-0 up after we went down to 10 men

Another game was when we played Kilmarnock away, i think it was in Feb and we drew 1-1. Thats when there was a mix up when Goram came out to collect the ball and Bjorklund headed it passed him. sad.gif

Bjorklund and Goram had a few like that

Remember a game against Hearts at Ibrox when Bjorklund fired the ball back and Goram schlaffed it away with his left foot straight to Neil McCann who scored

That Killie game at Ibrox when Ally Mitchell scored in the 93rd minute is my worst memory of being a Rangers fan - we were horrendous all game though and got what we deserved out of it

Celtic fucked it up the next day though and drew 1-1 away to Dunfermline - THAT was the worst part

When you think we went top with 4 games to go and still lost it, i will never get over not winning 10 in a row.

It was heart-wrenching minstral, but think how much worse it would have been if we threw away the 9th title season. Sometimes we have to count our blessings.

Am I not right in saying it could have been 11 in a row if we hadn't lost the league to the fucking ENEMY in 1987/88 that was the season big Terry Butcher broke his leg and I'm sure it was big Eck who done it, I remember Graham Souness saying that was a major reason why we lost the title that year. :uk:

Of course we should with the money we were spending. We should also have been far more successful in Europe. The eight diddies rule didnt help i suppose, but when i look back at the money we were spending, and the fact we were one of the biggest spenders in Europe at the time, i really think we should have more to show for it.

Just a bawhair before I really got into football, but was it worse than Manchester?

I keep hearing people say that the UEFA Cup Final was the biggest disappointment ever, but surely it wasn't as bad as losing 10IAR.

If you had asked me this question 18 months ago, I may have said Manchester, but now that they are both a distant memory, it has to be losing 10 IAR. I think we all knew that we may never get such a good chance to do it again. It hurt like hell. A state of shock probably best covered it.

Just reading this thread has got me thinking about it all over again, all of the 'ifs and buts". *If* we had beating Killie that day, we would have gone on to shatter the record and likely achieve13 IAR. It's very sad.

Smith continued use of his old favourites when it was plain to see that they were past their sell-by date. Sentimentality cost us

that unique record.

Like who ?

I thought it was the guys he brought in that didn't cut it. We got better as soon gough and co returned....

McCoist, Durie, Gascoigne and McCall should have gone at the end of nine, along with Smith, Murray should have cashed in on Laudrup and Gough should never have been brought back.

As for Stensaas, how many points did we drop with him in the team?

Absolutely yes. Still painful to think back on. Should have walked it.

I remember I had a bad omen sort of a feeling at the end of the 9IAR season when Walter was pictured in the papers dressed as a school teacher next to a board that had something like "9 out of 10, must do better"

chalked onto it, and was grinning and pointing at it with a cane. As a kid I blamed that moment in a weird sort of superstitious way.

That final season, in my opinion, we lost the title because of different factorss;

The team was carrying players who were past their sell by date,we had players like Stensaas who was barely junior football quality, Walter bottled that season; by changing to a 3 man defence although Bjorklund,Moore and Gough, when Walter begged him to come back, were players who played in a back 4. The 3 at the back was effectively a back 5 because our full backs played as orthodox full backs and for the first time in ages teams were given freedom to run through our midfield and the Ibrox fear factor ended.We no longer had opposition confined to defending their area instead we were on the back foot.

What epitomised that season was the cup final when Bjorklund, who had a nose bleed if he strayed 30 yards from our goal line was deployed as a right wing back.

In the words of the immortal Judge Judy, "Coulda, woulda, shoulda." The team were just about still good enough to win the league but couldn't hang on for another two games. Maybe Walter should have ripped it up and started again four years earlier, but the support wouldn't have accepted even one year of rebuilding while the IARs were building up. It suited all of us to keep flogging the dying horse.

Was a little young to really remember losing 10IAR, so id probably say to me Manchester was more disappointing but I would say that losing 10IAR would be worse if I could remember properly.

But one thing im sick of is all the pessimists, we won 9 In A Row, has any other team other than the ta1gs ever done that? We will always remember that, and the people who say Manchester was a failure and a waste of time are wrong.

Was a little young to really remember losing 10IAR, so id probably say to me Manchester was more disappointing but I would say that losing 10IAR would be worse if I could remember properly.

But one thing im sick of is all the pessimists, we won 9 In A Row, has any other team other than the ta1gs ever done that? We will always remember that, and the people who say Manchester was a failure and a waste of time are wrong.

Maybe because you were to young to remember 10 in a row you dont understand how important it was to us older bears when we failed to win it. What a chance we had to do something no other team has done or ever will do, and for me Manchester does not even come close to winning 10 in a row. I can see why Manchester was important to you as you are much younger and maybe never seen Rangers win a European trophy which lots of us have done.