Should We Have Won 10 In A Row

minstral

Smith continued use of his old favourites when it was plain to see that they were past their sell-by date. Sentimentality cost us

that unique record.

Like who ?

I thought it was the guys he brought in that didn't cut it. We got better as soon gough and co returned....

McCoist, Durie, Gascoigne and McCall should have gone at the end of nine, along with Smith, Murray should have cashed in on Laudrup and Gough should never have been brought back.

As for Stensaas, how many points did we drop with him in the team?

Aye selling gazza and laudrup when we won 9 in a row....without hindsight NO ONE would have sold him or laudrup. We had two properly world class players and anyone who says after we won 9 in a row they wanted them sold is a liar.

Are you saying stensaas was a good player ?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Australians ask me when did I start getting grey hair I reply....When Rangers fucking absolutely butchered 10iar....They look at me as if I'm a dead set loony.That was a tragedy of the highest order for us elder bears.:anguish:

Smith continued use of his old favourites when it was plain to see that they were past their sell-by date. Sentimentality cost us

that unique record.

Like who ?

I thought it was the guys he brought in that didn't cut it. We got better as soon gough and co returned....

McCoist, Durie, Gascoigne and McCall should have gone at the end of nine, along with Smith, Murray should have cashed in on Laudrup and Gough should never have been brought back.

Aye selling gazza and laudrup when we won 9 in a row....without hindsight NO ONE would have sold him or laudrup. We had two properly world class players and anyone who says after we won 9 in a row they wanted them sold is a liar.

I mind Chelsea came in for Laudrup at the end of the 9iar season (£9m IIRC) and Murray talked him in to staying for another year and leaving for nothing at the end of what should've been the 10iar season

Everyone hailed Murray as a hero after that

It was £5 million and no wonder people were happy, anyone who had seen him play the seasons previous knew he was one of two world class players in our squad.

was it £5m??

But people knew that if we didn't take that then he would leave for nothing at the end of the next season

edit - I was happy with the situation as well by the way

If i can remember right,Walter was given the biggest tranfer budget and he bought Stennas who was a poor player. He also bought Porrini who was average and i think Vidmar on a bosman. We also bought Rozental for 4 million which was another disaster,plus we had won our first 2 games that season and also won the first game against the scum.

It was £5 million and no wonder people were happy, anyone who had seen him play the seasons previous knew he was one of two world class players in our squad.

was it £5m??

But people knew that if we didn't take that then he would leave for nothing at the end of the next season

edit - I was happy with the situation as well by the way

Yeah, nine million for one season, even a season of laudrup, would be a bit much ;)

If i can remember right,Walter was given the biggest tranfer budget and he bought Stennas who was a poor player. He also bought Porrini who was average and i think Vidmar on a bosman. We also bought Rozental for 4 million which was another disaster,plus we had won our first 2 games that season and also won the first game against the scum.

I would agree minstral, we bought very poorly that summer, i am still convinced Rozental was about 35... :lol:

The worst thing was we were probably up against the worst sellck team in the last 3 years

If I remember right Laudrup was supposed to be going to Ajax for £4.5 million at the end of the 9IAR season. The deal was virtually done until Murray took him to his house in Jersey and convinced him to stay saying it wasn't about the money.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I would guarantee you in the summer of 1997 we would all have been rejoicing in the fact that Laudrup was staying for 1 more season.

Some of Smith's buys just didn't work out that season. Big Amo was injured for almost all of that season, Negri chucked it after Dec and Jonas Thern didn't live up to his billing even though he was starting to come good at the end of the season.

He was scouted by kenny dalglish who moonbeams had brought on board in another one of his fcukin brainwaves ! :sherlock:

He was scouted by kenny dalglish who moonbeams had brought on board in another one of his fcukin brainwaves ! :sherlock:

Rozenthal got a bad injury to be fair. Think it was the same as Mols and we saw that he was a shadow of his old self when he returned. Just a pity we couldn't have signed Jardel. Damn those fuckin work permits!!!

When you think that Celtic had lost all their star players and did not appoint WM Jansen until a couple of weeks before the season started. Yet we spent a fortune on improving our team which had won the title against a Celtic side, which was better than the one which was to face us in the 10 season, yet we still lost it. No wonder i still have nightmares of that season and play it over and over in my head. :(

Of course we should.

a few points....Bjorkland and stenstass (sp) were a nightmare at the back and cost us a good few points, we were right to sell gazza he had been a drunk for most of his time at ibrox but was not totally out of control like he was when we sold him, Laudrup was injury prone and didn't perform as he had during other seasons (although i hate the suggestion he didn't try, it's pish) if gough was there for the full season we would have been champions, whatever happened to Negri if he had played for the 2nd half of the season we would have probably been champions.

The day we got beaten by Kilmarnock was one of the most gutted i have ever been following a game of football, especially when they fecked up the next day

(tu)

that unique record.

Like who ?

Gascoigne was out of control and didn't suddenly turn overnight. Murray turned down £5m after Laudrup told him he was leaving and with one year left on his contract, that made no financial sense whatsoever.

With Stensaas in the team we lost once, however you rate him, he can't be blamed for us shipping loads of points, as you stated earlier in the thread. Whilst he was certainly no world beater, did he make an easy target for Smith and the fans to deflect blame away from the legends?

Yup, Seb Rozental really was an epic failure from the get-go. I still remember all the hype for the player when he came, only to have him get injured almost immediately. Not his fault, mind you, just rank rotten luck all 'round - especially for the club, considering (as you said) what we shelled out for him.

that unique record.

Like who ?

Gascoigne was out of control and didn't suddenly turn overnight. Murray turned down £5m after Laudrup told him he was leaving and with one year left on his contract, that made no financial sense whatsoever.

With Stensaas in the team we lost once, however you rate him, he can't be blamed for us shipping loads of points, as you stated earlier in the thread. Whilst he was certainly no world beater, did he make an easy target for Smith and the fans to deflect blame away from the legends?

Out of control or not he was still one of our best players and would you have swapped £5 million for another season of laudrup and gazza ? considering what i had watched over the previous years from these two and how they finished off 9 in a row ? Are you seriously saying this was your thinking in the summer after 9 in a row ?

I ain’t defending smith here, I have said he should have won the league with what he had and he bought badly

Stenstass and bjorkland were poor players, I don’t think I missed a game home or away that season so I saw a fair bit of the pair of them. Also I don’t remember smith blaming him for anything, did he ?

that unique record.

Like who ?

Out of control or not he was still one of our best players and would you have swapped £5 million for another season of laudrup and gazza ? considering what i had watched over the previous years from these two and how they finished off 9 in a row ? Are you seriously saying this was your thinking in the summer after 9 in a row ?

I ain’t defending smith here, I have said he should have won the league with what he had and he bought badly

Stenstass and bjorkland were poor players, I don’t think I missed a game home or away that season so I saw a fair bit of the pair of them. Also I don’t remember smith blaming him for anything, did he ?

Totally agree with you GCL. The ovation Laudrup got at the Nike Family Day (remember that at the start of that season :lol:) told me all I needed to know. Every Rangers fan was rejoicing when we found out Laudrup was staying

that unique record.

Like who ?

I aint defending smith here, I have said he should have won the league with what he had and he bought badly

Stenstass and bjorkland were poor players, I dont think I missed a game home or away that season so I saw a fair bit of the pair of them. Also I dont remember smith blaming him for anything, did he ?

We more or less agree then! :-D

Laudrup carried us almost single-handedly to the ninth title, but when a player doesn't want to be there, they should be sold. I did think that at the time although I was gutted that he wanted to go.

Stensaas was dropped in January/February and hardly played again. Our reliance on Negri became all too apparent and we died on our arse after that. There was nobody to drive us on. The end of an era, but it came a year too late.

Rozenthal got a bad injury to be fair. Think it was the same as Mols and we saw that he was a shadow of his old self when he returned. Just a pity we couldn't have signed Jardel. Damn those fuckin work permits!!!

It had nothing to do with work permits that we didn`t buy jardel. Rangers didn`t fancy him.

he trained with them but didn`t tell them he had a broken toe and they didn`t like what they saw.

Jardel went on to be a brilliant player in europe.

hate to be a cunt and point this out but theres teams in euorpe that have one more then 10 in a row iirc some danish team won it 15 times or sometnig along those lines

Just a bawhair before I really got into football, but was it worse than Manchester?

I keep hearing people say that the UEFA Cup Final was the biggest disappointment ever, but surely it wasn't as bad as losing 10IAR.

No i dinnae agree with people saying the uefa cup loss was more disappointing than beating sellicks record

and i believe walter smith,all the players and management,who at some time were involved in the 9iar era

i think deep down in their hearts would have said had we beaten sellicks record that from then on,nothing

bar beating the record or maybe winning the champions league,would have matched the feeling of beating our

greatest rivals record.Never.Still no doubt the uefa cup was a dissapointment,every gers fan felt it!!!

I doubt in my generation will we see us do a 10iar,not that i'm ever short of hope and spirit and i'm in my

40's by the way,but there would be nothing more incredible in the future generations than the gers getting

that 10iar.May it be,such a club are we,we can make that piece of magical history.

WATP.

Long Live the "The most successful club in History"

The Rangers :praise: