Andy Webster on his Rangers return & Ally's cup final call

Boab

Matthew Lindsay

17 May 2010

Andy Webster today revealed how a pre-match pep talk from Rangers legend Ally McCoist inspired him to lead Dundee United to Scottish Cup glory.

Webster ended his loan spell with United on a massive high at Hampden when he skippered them to a 3-0 win over Ross County.

The Scotland centre-half, who was farmed out to the Tannadice club by the Gers to get competitive matches, will now return to Ibrox next season.

And he has told how Rangers assistant manager McCoist had a massive part to play in his fine performance against County.

“Coisty phoned me on Saturday morning to wish me all the best and he really lifted my spirits with what he had to say to me,” said Webster.

“He is a vastly experienced player who competed in a fair few finals in his own career and he had some good advice for me which definitely helped me against County.

“It is great he took the time to get in touch and it was definitely appreciated. Everybody at Rangers has been great with me this season while I have been at United.

“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at United. It has been a fantastic move for me. To win the Scottish Cup with them was the perfect end.

“It will definitely help me when I go back to play at Rangers. I was sent there to play first-team games and that is what I have succeeded in doing.

“The fact that Coisty called me showed I am in their thoughts. The fact I have been playing regularly in the SPL has been fantastic for me.”

The future of central defenders Madjid Bougherra, Davie Weir and Danny Wilson, along with many other first-team players at Rangers, is uncertain.

But former Hearts and Wigan player Webster is confident that, whoever is in the squad at Rangers next season, he can force his way into the first team.

The 28-year-old has endured a difficult time since first joining the Glasgow club from Wigan on loan in the January transfer window in 2007.

Indeed, Webster has made only one competitive appearance for the Gers due to a succession of serious injuries; he played, and scored, in a 4-0 win over Gretna in an SPL match at Ibrox in September 2008.

After playing a full season with United, helping them book a Europa League place with a third-placed SPL finish and lifting his first major trophy, he is hopeful he has made his mark.

He said: “It has been a beneficial move for me. I have played in a lot of games and feel I have improved as a player as a result of that.

“I have made a lot of friends at United and will be sad to move on now, but the arrangement was always for me to go back to Rangers and that is what I will do.

“I feel the experience of helping United win the cup will help me at Rangers as you are expected to challenge for the league and other trophies every season at Ibrox.

“There are new challenges ahead for me and I am looking forward to trying to meet them. The Champions League is also something that I would love to be involved in.”

Andy Webster is 'looking forward' to returning to Rangers in July after leading Dundee United to Scottish Cup glory at Hampden on Saturday.

The 28-year-old central defender has enjoyed an outstanding season in Tayside and is clearly back to his best having overcome years on the treatment table.

Having tasted success at the Arabs he is now determined to kickstart his Ibrox career.

He said: "My year at United has been incredible and one I'll never forget.

"I needed to get back playing regularly again and going to Tannadice allowed me to do that.

"I wanted people to start talking about me as a footballer - pure and simple - and I hope that can now continue.

"I'll enjoy a few weeks holiday with my family and then go back to Rangers early and in July ready to make an impact.

"I won't be nervous or apprehensive - I'm looking forward to it.

"I always felt part of things at Rangers even when I was out of the team and in the past week I've had a lot of messages from guys at the club.

"Davie Weir texted me and I've spoke to Kevin Thomson and Lee McCulloch too.

"Ally McCoist called me on the morning of the cup final to pass on his best wishes and that meant a lot too.

"I think as the years have gone by I've learned to deal with things better, I feel I've become a stronger person and more experienced with all that has gone on.

"Now kicking on in a football sense is the only thing on my mind."

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100518/ready-and-waiting_2254024_2054578

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks-ignore/ally-mccoist-s-surprise-phone-call-meant-the-world-to-me-ahead-of-final-1.1028357

Its maybe a cliche but it could really be a new signing, hopefully a good one. No doubt, he'll get his chance though.

Davie - http://forum.rangersmedia.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=151495&view=findpost&p=1057971332

he seems to be able to handle the SPL, Never looked out of palce vs celtic and we didnt see what he could do vs us as he coudlnt play. IMO Theres no harm in giving him a run out to see if things go well.

Andy Webster is relishing his return to Rangers after leading Dundee United to Scottish Cup glory.

The injury-hit defender's career is back on track after he enjoyed an outstanding season on loan at Tannadice.

Webster, 28, put almost four years of crock heartache behind him to help United to Cup Final success at Hampden on Saturday.

And he's now determined to secure a starting place in the heart of the Gers defence on his return to Ibrox.

Webster said: "My year at United has been incredible and one I'll never forget.

"I needed to get back playing regularly again and going to Tannadice allowed me to do that.

"I wanted people to start talking about me as a footballer again and I hope that can now continue.

"I'll enjoy a holiday with my family, then go back to Rangers early in July ready to make an impact.

"I won't be nervous or apprehensive - I'm looking forward to it.

"I always felt part of things at Rangers, even when I was out of the team, and in the past week I've had a lot of messages from guys at the club.

"Davie Weir texted me and I've spoken to Kevin Thomson and Lee McCulloch too.

"Ally McCoist called me on the morning of the final to pass on his best wishes and that meant a lot too."

Webby is also set to resurrect his Scotland career after a four-year spell blighted by contract disputes and a succession of injuries.

Webster's career first stalled when he was frozen out by Hearts over a contract row before the 2006 Scottish Cup win over Gretna.

He then endured an injury-hit spell at Wigan before joining Rangers on loan in January 2007.

His hopes of kick-starting his career were shattered when he injured his knee in his first Murray Park training session.

Webster, who has made one appearance for Gers, insists he's ready to make up for lost time.

He said: "I feel I've become a stronger person and more experienced with all that has gone on.

"Now kicking on in football is the only thing on my mind."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2978583/Webster-determined-to-seize-second-chance-at-Rangers.html#ixzz0oKgPEZbA'>http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2978583/Webster-determined-to-seize-second-chance-at-Rangers.html#ixzz0oKgPEZbA

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2978583/Webster-determined-to-seize-second-chance-at-Rangers.html

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

Rangers haven't been able to buy a player for two years.

David Weir reckons his skint club have just landed Scotland's most sought-after star for NOTHING.

Andy Webster lifted the Scottish Cup and regained his Scotland slot in the best season of his career.

Now reborn Webby has returned to Ibrox to front Gers' SPL title defence next term.

Weir insists the stopper, who was Dundee United skipper during his loan spell, is a signing Gers could never have afforded.

He said: "Andy hasn't been around here for a year but he's shown what he's capable of.

"He was stop-start at Rangers with all his injuries and he was just playing reserve games.

"He was one of the top defenders in the league this season and he's looking like the real Andy Webster again.

"Rangers probably couldn't afford to go and buy him now.

"The way it's worked out has been good for everyone and good for Andy.

"He's lifted a trophy this season and hopefully we are getting back a first-class international defender.

"For me, he's a top defender and has all the right attributes to play for Rangers."

Weir lifted the SPL championship and Co-op Cup in Webster's season-long absence.

He believes his team-mate will be all the better for winning the Scottish Cup in last weekend's 3-0 win over Ross County.

He added: "Andy obviously needed to go to United and start playing again on a regular basis.

"His career had been too stop-start since he left Hearts, for a lot of different reasons.

"It was so nice to see him back on track and being part of a successful team this season.

"He's got good experience, he's got his confidence back and he's played week in, week out."

Webster only turned out in ONE game for Gers since returning north from Wigan in 2007.

He was sent to Bristol City and Tannadice in a bid to get his career back on track.

A contract feud at Hearts and various injury problems conspired to interrupt his progress.

Weir is sure his one-time Scotland defensive partner is well on the way back.

He said: "In football, there is nothing surer than you will have disappointments.

"What separates the good players from the bad is how they respond to those disappointments.

"Andy has certainly had more than his fair share.

"You could tell how much he enjoyed lifting the Cup at Hampden last Saturday. You could see how much it meant to him. It showed what he's been through.

"He's seen the darker side of the game and missed a lot of football.

"These things test you and make you stronger."

Webster ruptured a cruciate knee ligament just DAYS into his Gers career.

Weir says he's shown mettle to fight back and his displays at United prove he's ready to step into the Gers rearguard.

He said: "A cruciate injury is a massive one and takes a bit of getting over.

"It is devastating to get injuries like those Andy has had.

"He also had the contract situation and seems to have had a catalogue of problems.

"You'd think he must have used up all his bad luck. Hopefully he'll get some good times now."

Skipper Weir is pondering whether or not to extend his Gers career by another season.

If he stays, the veteran would like the chance to play alongside Webster once again.

He said: "I played with him for Scotland going back a few years. I always thought he was destined for the very top. I'd love to play alongside him next season.

"I've played alongside him in the past and I enjoyed it.

"Madjid Bougherra and Danny Wilson are still Rangers players and I'm sure they would have something to say about that.

"In that department, Rangers have options for next season."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2980000/We-couldnt-afford-Andy.html#ixzz0oQF0h0OI

Nice to see davie praising him, though I'd add this in here as thought no need for a new thread.