Rangers To Be In Pot 3 For CL Draw

Stu1993

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would Sevilla be in Pot 1 if they need a qualifier and why is Real Madrid pot 2 if they finished 2nd?

It was like this last year.

Because the coefficients are based on results over 5 years, not whether they needed a qualifier or where they finished in their league....

Why would Sevilla be in Pot 1 if they need a qualifier and why is Real Madrid pot 2 if they finished 2nd?

Because the coefficients are based on results over 5 years, not whether they needed a qualifier or where they finished in their league....

Exactly, and Sevilla have won the UEFA Cup twice (now Europa) in that period I believe, so not only will they have added to their coefficient by winning games, you play more games in the Europa league which I think means the coefficent would go up even higher... difficulty of games may play a part in that too though

bring em all on, i can't wait t hear the CL music at ibrox again.

man utd

real madrid

rangers

twente

^^ good group and i could see us taking a lot of support to those away games

Exactly, and Sevilla have won the UEFA Cup twice (now Europa) in that period I believe, so not only will they have added to their coefficient by winning games, you play more games in the Europa league which I think means the coefficent would go up even higher... difficulty of games may play a part in that too though

You get less points in the Europa Cup games than the CL games. Think theirs might be half of what CL teams get?

You get less points in the Europa Cup games than the CL games. Think theirs might be half of what CL teams get?

There may be some kind of difference but I would have thought it would have went down to other factors such as home, away and ranking of opponent...

our coefficient after our Uefa cup final run was 22.0500

Manchester United who won the champions league that year were 32.5750 and Barcelona the runnrs up were 27.7750

We should want as easy a draw as possible, if we can't beat pishy teams from Romania we don't deserve to be in the Champions League. Getting to the last 16 would be huge in terms of the financial prize that we'd get.

I'd take an English club in pot 1, as their not as good as they think. Apart from that just give us some nice easy draws, cheap ticket prices and some bears who are actually willing to f*cking sing for once!

There may be some kind of difference but I would have thought it would have went down to other factors such as home, away and ranking of opponent...

Manchester United who won the champions league that year were 32.5750 and Barcelona the runnrs up were 27.7750

Don't think that matters at all in all honesty, after reading the following:

Further down in the link there is something about a difference between CL and Europa League. Not saying I fully understand a single word that is written mind you.

The basis for the UEFA coefficients is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period. During that period each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (see below for matches in qualifying rounds).

In addition one bonus point is allocated for reaching the quarter final, the semi final and the final. Qualification for the group-stage of the Champions League is awarded with 4 bonus points (from 2004-2009: 3 bonus points, from 1996-2004: 1 point, before 1996: 2 points). Qualification for the first knock-out round of the Champions League yields 5 bonus points (from 2004-2009: 1 bonus point, before 2004: no bonus).

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calc.html

Further down in the link there is something about a difference between CL and Europa League. Not saying I fully understand a single word that is written mind you.

The basis for the UEFA coefficients is the performance of teams in the European Cups during a five year period. During that period each team gets two points for a win and one point for a draw (see below for matches in qualifying rounds).

In addition one bonus point is allocated for reaching the quarter final, the semi final and the final. Qualification for the group-stage of the Champions League is awarded with 4 bonus points (from 2004-2009: 3 bonus points, from 1996-2004: 1 point, before 1996: 2 points). Qualification for the first knock-out round of the Champions League yields 5 bonus points (from 2004-2009: 1 bonus point, before 2004: no bonus).

Dont know if that goes for the UEFA cup too (maybe less points awarded but the same system) so the UEFA Cup had more stages and games in it so getting all the way to the final in that gives you more bonus points plus you play more matches (last 32, 16, 8 etc) so theres more chances to get points... to be honest im not gonna try and work it out, I ll just wait and see what that site says our co efficient is after every match we play and trust it :P I mind we were the 2nd best team in Europe after our win at Lyon and against Stuttgart :P

Dont know if that goes for the UEFA cup too (maybe less points awarded but the same system) so the UEFA Cup had more stages and games in it so getting all the way to the final in that gives you more bonus points plus you play more matches (last 32, 16, 8 etc) so theres more chances to get points... to be honest im not gonna try and work it out, I ll just wait and see what that site says our co efficient is after every match we play and trust it :P I mind we were the 2nd best team in Europe after our win at Lyon and against Stuttgart :P

:lol:

It was further down in some table that co-efficient points for some games was half of those in the CL, I think when it's to the straight knock out stages of both competitions then the points are the same. <cr>

Seeded teams coef. Unseeded teams coef.

------------------------ --- ---------------- ------------------------ --- ----------------

Zenit St. Petersburg Rus 61.258 Celtic Sco 38.158

Ajax Ned 55.309 Unirea Urziceni Rom 18.898

Fenerbahçe Tur 54.890 PAOK Thessaloniki Gre 11.479

Dinamo Kiev Ukr 42.910 Young Boys Sui 7.675

Sporting Braga Por 39.659 AA Gent Bel 6.580

21.gif

Pity they can't play each other, Sellik getting pumped by young boys for a change!

They played them in the early nineties.

Off topic, but the headline on this article is one of the best ever. :lol:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=337901&cc=5739

How the fuck do Spurs have a better co-efficient than us?

Season 08/09 Round of 32

Season 07/08 Round of 16

Season 06/07 Quarter Finals

During the same period apart from reaching the final in 2008 and the last 16 when Big Eck was in charge (2007?), we haven't exactly won that many games in Europe.

Season 08/09 Round of 32

Season 07/08 Round of 16

During the same period apart from reaching the final in 2008 and the last 16 when Big Eck was in charge (2007?), we haven't exactly won that many games in Europe.

There's also the national coefficient which makes up part of each club's total, England's will be huge.

Also in 2007/8 we didn't win that many games despite getting to the Final.

Season 08/09 Round of 32

Season 07/08 Round of 16

There's also the national coefficient which makes up part of each club's total, England's will be huge.

Also in 2007/8 we didn't win that many games despite getting to the Final.

Didn't realise that the national coefficient also counted, no wonder the bigger leagues are always there, totally unfair!

We must have won the games (even on penalties) to reach the final.

I'm just delighted to be in it, and hopefully by the time the next one comes around, our club has been stabilised and we have a team capable of negotiating the qualifying rounds in future comps.

Motherwell & Dundee Utd also need to give a good account of themselves in Europe to get the co-efficient back up again.

Didn't realise that the national coefficient also counted, no wonder the bigger leagues are always there, totally unfair!

it was never meant to be fair, from day 1 the CL was about as many games as possible, therefore as much money as possible for the bigger Clubs in the bigger leagues.

We must have won the games (even on penalties) to reach the final.

I don't think so, Fiorentina was the only one we won on pens and I'm sure that will be counted as two draws.

That season our coefficient was just over 22, whereas Sevilla, who had won it the previous two seasons (?) got over 28 both times.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/data/method4/trank2010.html

Realistically our expectation level should be finishing 3rd in any group this season, making the last 16 with our current squad would be a miracle quite frankly.

From pot 1... I'd like us to draw Chelsea for commercial reasons, battle of Britain tag is always good for some extra cash.