Davie Weir wants to stay.

Big Davie would like to sign a new contract with Rangers and still be with us at the beginning of the season.

If he can keep performing the way he has been last season, then I wouldn't mind him being here, I don't feel that he should be a regular starter though, and would still prefer him in a coaching role, but he does put other players to shame at times with his attitude and levels of fitness for his age.

DAVID WEIR has admitted today that he wants to stay at Rangers.

The double-winning skipper will be out of contract at the end of this month but hopes to strike a deal which will keep him at Ibrox for the start of the 2010/11 campaign.

Davie Weir lifts the SPL triphyWeir, 40, is in no rush to put pen to paper as he realises that several players, and the management team, are in the same boat.

But he insists that pulling on a Light Blue jersey next season and trying to win three-in-a-row would be a perfect scenario.

Speaking exclusively to www.rangers.co.uk he said: "That's my number one choice, that's what I want to do.

"Time will tell what will happen but that would suit me definitely."

Full story here.

http://www.rangers.co.uk/articles/20100519/davie-wants-to-stay_2254024_2055703

I don't want to be disrespectful to Davie but I would rather we looked elsewhere. We need to be building a team and Davie will play on for a another season at best. I would rather we were bringing someone in who will be here for a long time.

In my honest opinion, I think we started to see a few little cracks towards the end of last season, I'm not sure how another year would go.

I want to remember Davie as the man that lifted the two most important league titles in recent history, not as the 41 year old who cost us a lot of points in his final year.

Perhaps he'll prove us all wrong again, but as I said, I just saw a few little cracks appearing at the end of that season there.

He's been a great skipper and leads by example. Given that we're pretty much resigned to losing Bougherra, Wilson and Broadfoot in the close season it'd be mad to not offer him a new deal looking at what he's achieved.

In my honest opinion, I think we started to see a few little cracks towards the end of last season, I'm not sure how another year would go.

I want to remember Davie as the man that lifted the two most important league titles in recent history, not as the 41 year old who cost us a lot of points in his final year.

Perhaps he'll prove us all wrong again, but as I said, I just saw a few little cracks appearing at the end of that season there.

Rangersfansi23 and your post sums up how i feel as well.

He won't stay if he's not first choice, people have to remember that, with his family down south.

How do you know ?

I would keep him. didn't miss a game last season and was player of the year. Walter was correct in what he said if he was ten years younger people wouldn't try to find fault in his performances then blame it on age.

There a few unanswered questions.

Will Magic be here after August and not be moved on, the same for Danny?

Perhaps the club will feel compelled to keep Davie if either they go or a combination of that and also not having money to replace them and also not having money to replace them?

Sorry, but the way it is looking we are going to NEED him to stay. If Wilson and Bougherra do indeed leave this summer then we are left with Weir and Webster at the back, with possibly Jamie Ness as cover.

I'd rather a 41 year-old Davie Weir than Kirk Broadfoot any day of the week.

There a few answered questions.

Perhaps the club will feel compelled to keep Davie if either they go or a combination of that and also not having money to replace them?

Shouldn't that be unanswered questions?

Sorry, but the way it is looking we are going to NEED him to stay. If Wilson and Bougherra do indeed leave this summer then we are left with Weir and Webster at the back, with possibly Jamie Ness as cover.

Don't you mean Ross Perry? And I reckon Kirk would be in before him, if Kirk is still here in Walter's eyes.

I wouldn't underestimate Weir's influence in the back four; look at Huton and Cuellar, both of whom we were regularly touting on this board as world class players. They move to other clubs and then hardly set the heather alight. I fear the same for young Wilson but if that's the decision he's made so be it.

The point is can we really afford not to keep Weir on in at least some kid of capacity when this squad is so short on leaders?

Thought Jamie was a midfielder? Personally I would have hoped that Ross Perry finally gets his chance, always felt he would make it into the first team at some time, but unfortunately picked up a couple of injuries.

There a few answered questions.

Perhaps the club will feel compelled to keep Davie if either they go or a combination of that and also not having money to replace them?

Shouldn't that be unanswered questions?

Yep! :D

We can't seem to get central defenders who do want to be here long term though :craphead:

We do but it is Andy Webster. Here's hoping he plays well.

And who will partner Andy Webster? ;)

On the long term that is. :D

McCulloch :anguish:

I really have no idea. Danny Wilson would have been ideal but obviously that isn't going to happen.

This is a man who just played every minute of every game of the entire season. Let's talk about Naismith's or Beasley or Boyd's fitness during that period. Weir's time is hardly up!

I won't deny the fact that he's slow but he reads the game so well it hardly matters. You don't get to be a championship winning captain of Rangers by accident; the guy's a class act.