Davie Weir wants to stay.

David Weir will be able to play in the SPL as long as the ball continues to get humped into the air for him to win header after header but we have seen players like Colin Samuel pull him around and at times he has looked like a man coming to the end of his career.

Can he carry on? I’m sure he can but if he is to stay I would like us to get in another CB as I don’t feel confident/comfortable with Andy Webster plus Wilson will be off and we are unsure on Bougherra.

Also if he stays it will give a clear indication that Walter Smith will be staying on.

I can't believe the negativity here towards a Rangers captain who's hardly lost a game all season.

This may be a bitter pill to swallow but he may well be all we have next season.

Davie weir is still a better player than danny wilson.

... Lee McCulloch, Andy Webster and Kirk Broadfoot. And more reliable/less injury prone than Bougie.

Forget his age - he was player of the year. Of course he should be kept for another season.

In my honest opinion, I think we started to see a few little cracks towards the end of last season, I'm not sure how another year would go.

I want to remember Davie as the man that lifted the two most important league titles in recent history, not as the 41 year old who cost us a lot of points in his final year.

Perhaps he'll prove us all wrong again, but as I said, I just saw a few little cracks appearing at the end of that season there.

I thought a few crack appeared at the end of every season and he was always back to his best for the next season.

I'm not counting him after him proving me wrong time and time again.

If he stays he will be first pick under Smith. Wilson won't be the last young player to look elsewhere in a bid to progress their career.

I said something similar in another thread.

If Rangers are happy to continue with a 40 yo CB, then who can blame the youngsters for going elsewhere?

David Weir Sasa Papac Kirk Broadfoot Andy Webster Lee McCulloch Madjid Bougherra Danny Wilson

Assuming Wilson and Bougherra go we still have 5 players who can easily keep clean sheets at centre back vs SPL teams however another cb is required to compete in all competitions

Aye davie weir should stay on so we can sit so far back in Europe that we invite teams onto us and get spanked.

Yeah lets all blame Weir for our poor European campaign he lead us to the Uefa cup final! Walter knows exactly what went wrong in Europe this season he let people moaning about his tactics change the style that worked

Out with the old, in with the new! As people say it must be a right kick in the stones for the youth to see rangers persist with players that are either 40 or shite. Some of the young CBs must be thinking 'oh excellent, boughie and Wilson are out..I might get a game' only to see mcculloch shunted in there. Fleck must tear his hair out every time he sees Naismith starting as well.

Our domestic record speaks for itself Rangers captain David Weir can and should play for one more season then retire .

To refer to David Weir as just a 40 year old that would leave the youth players pulling hair out wondering why they aren't getting a game is a massive slight on Weir he is the most experienced professional player at this club our defensive record this season has not been sub-standard in the slightest I appreciate he will not be getting any younger or better but the fact remains he is easily one of the best defenders in the SPL and the youth players coludn't find a better mentor than him

Love David Weir -- for many reasons. But.......

It's time to retire as a Champion -- or at least consider a player/coach role? I wonder Walter (if he stays) will respect Davie's "I can still play" or, try and talk sense into him?

I think Walter would want Davie to retire.. and wants him to come to that realization himself. WOul dbe hell to have to 'tell' him he's done. And let's face it, although he walked the SPL -- again -- he's into his 41st year. It has to end sometime.. Might as well be now -- with dignity and as a winner.

no disrespect to weir, but one of the reasons he looked so good imo is because we compensated for his weaknesses

no way should the champions be playing 2 defensive mids at home in thev SPL, yet we do because we cannot afford to let men run at weir

if we want davis in the middle next year, we cannot have weir at the back unless someone with pace is next to him,

and with boughie looking like he's off, we dont have ANY pace at the back to cover weir

If he stays then he'll be an automatic pick as one of Smith's favourites.

He may have won PotY but prior to the award Davis was heavily tipped and I don't remember many (any) saying Weir should get it.

If Weir stays then it is a sad indictment on Rangers and an even sadder indictment on the SPL as a whole

fair play to big weir as it would be easy for him to bow out on a high with the player of the year award and winnin the double & go back down south to his wife & kids so if he decides to stick around then its to be admired as who knows wot next season could be like & if hes half as good as he was this season he'l have another great season :wink:

Was looking at the Sun and thought this was suited in here instead of a new thread;

By ROGER HANNAH

Published: Today

David Weir is ready to hang up his boots if Walter Smith quits Rangers.

Title-winning skipper Weir is one of six Ibrox stars out of contract this summer.

Smith's own deal expired last January and he'll decide on his future once Lloyds reveal details of his budget.

Weir, 40, said; "The gaffer brought me back up here and my loyalties lie with him.

"What happens with him is going to influence my decision, there's no doubt about it.

"The manager's position is the first thing for me. It will play a part in my decision."

Stevie Smith and DaMarcus Beasley won't sign new deals to stay with Gers next season.

Weir has also called for early answers on the futures of Kris Boyd, Nacho Novo and Kirk Broadfoot.

He added: "It's not frustrating for me as I've had this kind of thing for five or six years.

"It must be frustrating for Kirk, Nacho and Kris, guys in the prime of their careers.

"They are lads who deserve to be looked after better in respect of what they have done."

Read more: http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/2979890/If-Walt-goes-Im-off-too.html#ixzz0oQGAWJJd