Alastair Johnston - is this man really our Chairman?

contacts

What a poor appointment this man has been for our club. Not only is he based in the US but every time he opens his trap he seems to spout pish.

When he was given the job as Chairman of our great club he should have moved to Scotland for the time he has that role. No way can you be Chairman of Rangers FC even in good times from across the water never mind when the world is against us. He has not offered us any direction, leadership or guidance during his time in charge and everytime he speaks he causes more and more confusion.

His latest rant is aimed at the only guy that would appear to be seriously interested in buying the club. We are all desperate for the club to be sold so that we can move on and the bold AJ has a pop at the guy trying to buy us. Not only that when Ellis gives his reply the bold AJ has another pop at him.

One thing that puzzles me is why does AJ think that Ellis or any other bidder actually have to talk to him? The shares will be bought from SDM (the Murray Group) so why would AJ be involved in any discussions? Is he just pissed off that he is out of the loop?

I would like AJ to come out and answer a few questions and clear up a few things for the fans. As SDM appointed AJ why does it appear that he know seems to be rebelling against SDM? What has happened? What is the motivation behind his recent comments? If Ellis is a phoney come out and say it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a poor appointment this man has been for our club. Not only is he based in the US but every time he opens his trap he seems to spout pish.

When he was given the job as Chairman of our great club he should have moved to Scotland for the time he has that role. No way can you be Chairman of Rangers FC even in good times from across the water never mind when the world is against us. He has not offered us any direction, leadership or guidance during his time in charge and everytime he speaks he causes more and more confusion.

His latest rant is aimed at the only guy that would appear to be seriously interested in buying the club. We are all desperate for the club to be sold so that we can move on and the bold AJ has a pop at the guy trying to buy us. Not only that when Ellis gives his reply the bold AJ has another pop at him.

One thing that puzzles me is why does AJ think that Ellis or any other bidder actually have to talk to him? The shares will be bought from SDM (the Murray Group) so why would AJ be involved in any discussions? Is he just pissed off that he is out of the loop?

I would like AJ to come out and answer a few questions and clear up a few things for the fans. As SDM appointed AJ why does it appear that he know seems to be rebelling against SDM? What has happened? What is the motivation behind his recent comments? If Ellis is a phoney come out and say it.

I mentioned in another thread this may be the reason,or it was to try force Ellis hand sooner rather than later.

The thing about living America is something that has always annoyed me. He is the chairman of Rangers yet he lives in another country.

I understand he has other businesses to look after but the way I see it he should be 100% focused on Rangers or someone else should be in charge.

I have my suspicions as well Scott and fully agree that not only is him being based in the US bad but also his statements have not covered him (or indeed us) in any glory. I would agree to an extent its possibly because he has been left out of the loop but surely he should be doing all he can not to alienate potential new owners. Look at it this way, suppose theres an interested party who hasn't made their interest known and they see AJ's outbursts and it puts them off doing business with us then we could lose out big time. Either way AJ must focus his attention on us, if his other interests are going to be affected then perhaps he should step down and allow someone to take over as chairman who will actually be in the country devoting their efforts to the club.

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

I honestly hope he stays, his comments about Ellis just sounded like a man who has become frustrated with someone fuckin about something he holds dear if you know what i mean, it was basically AJ saying put up or shut up.

Why is it that two Rangers men in our chairman and our own manager Walter have both come out and had a go at Ellis for dragging out this takeover ?

Guest therabbitt

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

'Probably'...

For me, there was no need for our Chairman to only further sully the process and muddy the waters. We wanted clarity from the Rangers hierarchy - not more spin and what on the surface looks very much like it could be positioning from our as until now, quiet chairman.

'Probably'...

For me, there was no need for our Chairman to only further sully the process and muddy the waters. We wanted clarity from the Rangers hierarchy - not more spin and what on the surface looks very much like it could be positioning from our as until now, quiet chairman.

Aj has said more about the situation that Murray, Ellis, Bain, Muir and graham duffy combined........

Why would AJ deliberate try to muddy the waters as you say ? I honestly cant fathom why a man of AJ's standing would blatantly lie about asking for a meeting with Ellis.

Alastair Johnstons response to Ellis's comments :

I am not permitted as chairman to call directly to Ellis other than through Murray International Holdings representatives" he revealed .

"I asked them to arrange one meeting as far back as March and was told it had been arranged for Edinburgh before it was cancelled as his financial advisors were not available..

"On behalf of the independent committee set up to assess any takeover I then asked in a memo dated May 5 for another meeting but got no response.

"At no time have I ever expected him to travel to Cleveland to speak to me but I was prepared to fly immediately to Scotland especially after he went on record saying he would give Walter Smith a 3 year contract and hadn't spoken to us or him.

"He can say what he wants but I am working for Rangers community of fans and if Ellis comes through with a bid then I will welcome him with open arms.But right now I am dealing with the expectations of ownership among our supporters and it has gone on way too long without something coming to the table."

The part in bold strikes me that its MIH or maybe even a rep of the bank that has been put within MIH that has blocked AJ's attempt for dialogue with Ellis, maybe the worst part of me thinks that the bank will do all they can to make this deal happen even if the committee including from rangers disagree totally.

Guest therabbitt

'Probably'...

Aj has said more about the situation that Murray, Ellis, Bain, Muir and graham duffy combined........

Murray, Muir and Duffy would have no reason to say anything.

Bain and Johnston have contributed about the same level of 'discussion' as each other; if anything Johnston has said more as he's he chairman.

For the record, I do believe that a man like Johnston could be very useful to a Rangers board. As 'caretaker' chairman however, I feel that his hands have been tied due to the situation that the club is in and also with his other working commitments and him living in the US.

The owner of 90 odd %of our shares has no reason to say anything but bain and johnston do ... <cr>

Johnston has said the most but you still believe him to have been quiet, i guess their is not much you can say if you aren't privy to the bid itself.

Duffy was a joke (wasn't he always ;) ) and i only mentioned muir to see if it said (enemy within) after his name..... :)

One question though. Were there alternatives to AJ or was he the only one sounded out about taking over the chairmanship? Surely he was a bad choice given his US commitments and what is he doing now other than shooting his mouth off?

Guest therabbitt
Why would AJ deliberate try to muddy the waters as you say ? I honestly cant fathom why a man of AJ's standing would blatantly lie about asking for a meeting with Ellis.

Yes, but ultimately we don't know who is telling the truth, we know nothing more about what is happening after his comments - that's what I'm referring to.

Also, Johnston was effectively insinuating that he held a different opinion to Muir about any potential forthcoming bid from Ellis - why does he need to make that information public?

Conflicting Rangers board members at this time is not a message the Rangers support wants - we want a leader to guide us; not necessarily to placate us to make us feel better if the situation is actually rather grave, but just to know the truth of the situation.

AJ made that statement solely to force Ellis from his silence of late, that has been achieved. To be honest, i'm not at all concerned about the job that Johnston is doing because in my opinion he is only there as an experienced face to wheel out to the press and appeal for calm every now and again whilst we stumble from one month to another.

What i want is a speedy resolution to this, and i'm sure that is what AJ, Walter Smith and Martin Bain want too. Which probably accounts for their extreme frustration about how long and drawn out these negotiations are becoming.

Ellis has had months to carry out due dilligence, you are not going to tell me our accounts are so complicated that an experienced businessman and his associates need that long to look over them. There is something else going on behind the scenes that is holding this up and i for one am getting really fucking sick of it.

The fans, Walter and the Rangers staff are the ones suffering here. We deserve better.

One question though. Were there alternatives to AJ or was he the only one sounded out about taking over the chairmanship? Surely he was a bad choice given his US commitments and what is he doing now other than shooting his mouth off?

If a chairman falls in the forest and no one is there to hear him does he make a sound.

If a chairman falls in the forest and no one is there to hear him does he make a sound.

That clears up my questions :rolleyes:

Guest therabbitt

The owner of 90 odd %of our shares has no reason to say anything but bain and johnston do ... <cr>

Johnston has said the most but you still believe him to have been quiet, i guess their is not much you can say if you aren't privy to the bid itself.

Duffy was a joke (wasn't he always ;) ) and i only mentioned muir to see if it said (enemy within) after his name..... :)

I suppose that what I was getting at was that Johnston has said and done the bare minimum as Rangers chairman.

What does Murray need to say though? His shares are for sale, he wants out, he's no longer chairman, we know that there has been one potental move for a takeover from Ellis and the ball is in his court over whether he opts to make his bid. Murray doesn't need to say anything there, perhaps until there is a formal offer in place at least - even then we might not necessarily hear anything until the deal is put through.

On the subject of being in the US the idea you can't run a modern business from a different country is ridiculous.

Absolutely. And given that Martin Bain is heading the daily running of the club there is even less reason for him to be there.

Being Chairman right now is nothing more than a fancy title, it means nothing when you have the bank dictating things and Murray and Ellis in a stand-off.