Alastair Johnston - is this man really our Chairman?

contacts

Blueisthecolour makes a very good point on the due diligence. Are we honestly to believe the DD on RFC is more complicated than when Kraft bought Cadbury? If Ellis wants to buy then the only debate/discussion at this stage should be over price.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest therabbitt

AJ made that statement solely to force Ellis from his silence of late, that has been achieved. To be honest, i'm not at all concerned about the job that Johnston is doing because in my opinion he is only there as an experienced face to wheel out to the press and appeal for calm every now and again whilst we stumble from one month to another.

What i want is a speedy resolution to this, and i'm sure that is what AJ, Walter Smith and Martin Bain want too. Which probably accounts for their extreme frustration about how long and drawn out these negotiations are becoming.

Ellis has had months to carry out due dilligence, you are not going to tell me our accounts are so complicated that an experienced businessman and his associates need that long to look over them. There is something else going on behind the scenes that is holding this up and i for one am getting really fucking sick of it.

The fans, Walter and the Rangers staff are the ones suffering here. We deserve better.

Yes, he completed diligence, but surely he has the right to mull over whether to actually proceed with a bid and commit a very large amount of 'personal' wealth to a football club he doesn't even support?

The owner of 90 odd %of our shares has no reason to say anything but bain and johnston do ... <cr>

Johnston has said the most but you still believe him to have been quiet, i guess their is not much you can say if you aren't privy to the bid itself.

Duffy was a joke (wasn't he always ;) ) and i only mentioned muir to see if it said (enemy within) after his name..... :)

I suppose that what I was getting at was that Johnston has said and done the bare minimum as Rangers chairman.

What does Murray need to say though? His shares are for sale, he wants out, he's no longer chairman, we know that there has been one potental move for a takeover from Ellis and the ball is in his court over whether he opts to make his bid. Murray doesn't need to say anything there, perhaps until there is a formal offer in place at least - even then we might not necessarily hear anything until the deal is put through.

Is that a fair criticisim, what is it based on (especially the done part)? What has he not done that he should have ?

I am not expecting to hear that much from Sir David to be honest but he is the key to this deal, AJ bain and muir are sideshows to his main act. Stepped back or not he still owns out club.

AJ made that statement solely to force Ellis from his silence of late, that has been achieved. To be honest, i'm not at all concerned about the job that Johnston is doing because in my opinion he is only there as an experienced face to wheel out to the press and appeal for calm every now and again whilst we stumble from one month to another.

What i want is a speedy resolution to this, and i'm sure that is what AJ, Walter Smith and Martin Bain want too. Which probably accounts for their extreme frustration about how long and drawn out these negotiations are becoming.

Ellis has had months to carry out due dilligence, you are not going to tell me our accounts are so complicated that an experienced businessman and his associates need that long to look over them. There is something else going on behind the scenes that is holding this up and i for one am getting really fucking sick of it.

The fans, Walter and the Rangers staff are the ones suffering here. We deserve better.

Yes, he completed diligence, but surely he has the right to mull over whether to actually proceed with a bid and commit a very large amount of 'personal' wealth to a football club he doesn't even support?

Sorry, but isn't that the kind of thinking you do before you spend a lot of money conducting due dilligence?

On the subject of being in the US the idea you can't run a modern business from a different country is ridiculous.

This is ever so slightly different from other businesses though isnt it?

What do you think he couldn't do from the states ?

I just think he should be there to see things first hand. Aye, theres the internet and other communication devices so of course that would help. However, as custodian of the club he should be there, I mean supposing something happens and he needs to be at Ibrox, not so easy to get it resolved quickly if he has to make a 7/8 hour flight is it? Perhaps I am wrong although at a time like this he should be here so his efforts can be focussed on us 100%.

Guest therabbitt

Sorry, but isn't that the kind of thinking you do before you spend a lot of money conducting due dilligence?

My understanding of due dilligence (which is more than likely wrong) is that this is a period of time where Ellis would have access to the books and can ask questions etc about anything that they show.

If he has completed this, then surely it makes sense to think about whether to actually bid?

I agree that it's taken a frustratingly long time.

I'm not being a smart arse when I say I have no idea what things you need to see first hand in Glasgow that you couldn't also see in the states from a chairman’s point of view? Maybe I am basing this too much on personal experience but the idea that business needs to be conducted face to face seems very antiquated to me.

I'm not being a smart arse when I say I have no idea what things you need to see first hand in Glasgow that you couldn't also see in the states from a chairman’s point of view? Maybe I am basing this too much on personal experience but the idea that business needs to be conducted face to face seems very antiquated to me.

Well as I said perhaps I am wrong and maybe it is an old fashioned view. Just my opinion thats all. All I care about is the club being sold to the right kind of person as I am sure we all do.

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

I honestly hope he stays, his comments about Ellis just sounded like a man who has become frustrated with someone fuckin about something he holds dear if you know what i mean, it was basically AJ saying put up or shut up.

Why is it that two Rangers men in our chairman and our own manager Walter have both come out and had a go at Ellis for dragging out this takeover ?

I agree with your statement. I think Ellis, as I mentioned in a previous post, is no more than a stalking horse to get other potential bidders to throw their hat in the ring.

I also think the work Alastair Johnston has done since he has come to the club has been more than fruitful. It could be after next season our debt is down to a very manageable level, given the champions league money for this season and part of next still has to come into the next set of accounts.

Being Chairman is not a full time job. There is a CEO running things day-to-day. There is no requirement for him to be based full-time in Scotland.

A for him wanting to speak to Ellis, there is nothing wrong with that. We as a club need to start planning. AJ should be criticised that the planning didn't happen early enough, but there is no reason not to try and speak to Ellis. Why wait for another few months until the directors start speaking to him?

There is plenty to criticise AJ for, but I don't think that these are the issues.

Guest therabbitt

Sorry but fuck knows how the OP has come to this conclusion as i think the guys been a breath of fresh air since hes come in and has a wealth of experience and of sporting business throughout the world has probably very been beneficial to us behind the scenes this season.

I honestly hope he stays, his comments about Ellis just sounded like a man who has become frustrated with someone fuckin about something he holds dear if you know what i mean, it was basically AJ saying put up or shut up.

Why is it that two Rangers men in our chairman and our own manager Walter have both come out and had a go at Ellis for dragging out this takeover ?

I agree with your statement. I think Ellis, as I mentioned in a previous post, is no more than a stalking horse to get other potential bidders to throw their hat in the ring.

I also think the work Alastair Johnston has done since he has come to the club has been more than fruitful. It could be after next season our debt is down to a very manageable level, given the champions league money for this season and part of next still has to come into the next set of accounts.

Has Donald Muir not been instrumental in managing the debt problem and turning around the finances of the club?

Guest therabbitt

Being Chairman is not a full time job. There is a CEO running things day-to-day. There is no requirement for him to be based full-time in Scotland.

A for him wanting to speak to Ellis, there is nothing wrong with that. We as a club need to start planning. AJ should be criticised that the planning didn't happen early enough, but there is no reason not to try and speak to Ellis. Why wait for another few months until the directors start speaking to him?

There is plenty to criticise AJ for, but I don't think that these are the issues.

Go on then...

:)

My understanding of due dilligence (which is more than likely wrong) is that this is a period of time where Ellis would have access to the books and can ask questions etc about anything that they show.

If he has completed this, then surely it makes sense to think about whether to actually bid?

He knew roughly what to expect before looking at the books, it has been pretty well publicised how much money it would need to complete a takeover and clear the debt. Indeed, he has been putting the figure of £33 million around for some time now, so he has known for a while.

So i don't think he is spending all this time thinking about whether to bid or not. Personally i think we have closer links to MIH than is being let on and this is accounting for the length of time it is taking.

Safe to say Murray has completely fucked us.

There is such a thing as Videoconferencing, but maybe we're too skint too afford such a system. Maybe we are still using secretary's typing out memo's and sending to our chairman in USA...!

Guest therabbitt

He knew roughly what to expect before looking at the books, it has been pretty well publicised how much money it would need to complete a takeover and clear the debt. Indeed, he has been putting the figure of £33 million around for some time now, so he has known for a while.

So i don't think he is spending all this time thinking about whether to bid or not. Personally i think we have closer links to MIH than is being let on and this is accounting for the length of time it is taking.

Yeah, but knowing roughly what to expect is different to actually looking at the books and getting his hands dirty - especially given that he might be working with others or even trying to secure further funding to make the deal.

Perhaps this EBT/HMRC stuff is delaying him in his bid whilst he seeks advice?

I suppose there is the fact that he needs to negotiate a price too, that could take time whilst he puts together what he wants to bid. I'm sure the quoted 33 million is not 'buy it now' price. Ellis would of course want to get the best for his money.

What are you eluding to regarding the closer links to MIH mate?

I don't think I'm alone in normally looking forward to posts from Contacts, going way back to his Follow Follow days. What a shame then to read one as bizarre as the one that opens this thread.

Firstly is everyone criticising AJ actually aware of what the role of Chairman entails? I'd say not judging by some of the replies. It is not an executive position, others are tasked with the day-to-day running of the club, that is not the Chairman's role. The chairman's job is to 'chair' the board, in other words ensure the board do their jobs in terms of running the business. He should ensure we conduct our business in a legal and orderly way and might also act as a public face for the board. From that last point it might be fair to deduce that perhaps AJ's last comments, that seem to have upset some so much, were actually the thoughts and views of the board of Rangers, and the last time I read this forum the clamour for information from the club was reaching fever pitch. Well, you know, be careful what you wish for.

Secondly the notion that as Chairman he should be living in Scotland is almost comical. Perhaps if it was the 1950s I could see the point but come on, today? I have a feeling as the head of the most successful sports management company the world has ever known he might have picked up the odd tip on staying in touch.

As a club we are extremely fortunate to have someone of his calibre, experience and dedication as Chairman, particularly at this time. Be grateful gentleman, the Tims chairman is a warmongering sex pest who tells lies for a living.

Guest therabbitt

I don't think I'm alone in normally looking forward to posts from Contacts, going way back to his Follow Follow days. What a shame then to read one as bizarre as the one that opens this thread.

Firstly is everyone criticising AJ actually aware of what the role of Chairman entails? I'd say not judging by some of the replies. It is not an executive position, others are tasked with the day-to-day running of the club, that is not the Chairman's role. The chairman's job is to 'chair' the board, in other words ensure the board do their jobs in terms of running the business. He should ensure we conduct our business in a legal and orderly way and might also act as a public face for the board. From that last point it might be fair to deduce that perhaps AJ's last comments, that seem to have upset some so much, were actually the thoughts and views of the board of Rangers, and the last time I read this forum the clamour for information from the club was reaching fever pitch. Well, you know, be careful what you wish for.

Secondly the notion that as Chairman he should be living in Scotland is almost comical. Perhaps if it was the 1950s I could see the point but come on, today? I have a feeling as the head of the most successful sports management company the world has ever known he might have picked up the odd tip on staying in touch.

As a club we are extremely fortunate to have someone of his calibre, experience and dedication as Chairman, particularly at this time. Be grateful gentleman, the Tims chairman is a warmongering sex pest who tells lies for a living.

Erm, that's a fairly great post.

I'll freely admit to not knowing much about the make up of the board or board structures. I suppose my frustration is simply a thirst to know more about what is going on behind the scenes and for the chairman to be a real spearhead for the club - like you said though, I don't know enough about it to argue a point.

Perhaps what I really want is for Bain, as CEO to be speaking out more for the club?

I'm intrigued by your point about his comments being the views of the rest of the board. It certainly might make sense in this case given that it is time for budgeting for next season?

Clearly there is a lot of untangling to be done to seperate Rangers from MIH, and that will take time?? so why is AJ getting his knickers in a twist about that. The tax issue was a problem that came out, then that was cleared up by SDM saying publicy MIH will take care of that problem. Maybe some other issues need to be cleared up a bit more privately?? this does not mean we are, or SDM HAS FECKED US UP. Ellis and his backers will buy us.

Yeah, but knowing roughly what to expect is different to actually looking at the books and getting his hands dirty - especially given that he might be working with others or even trying to secure further funding to make the deal.

Perhaps this EBT/HMRC stuff is delaying him in his bid whilst he seeks advice?

I suppose there is the fact that he needs to negotiate a price too, that could take time whilst he puts together what he wants to bid. I'm sure the quoted 33 million is not 'buy it now' price. Ellis would of course want to get the best for his money.

What are you eluding to regarding the closer links to MIH mate?

Something that AJ said about this tax query being down to MIH has got me wondering if there are other parts of Murray's empire tied up in our clubs finances that we are not privy to.

Clearly there is a lot of untangling to be done to seperate Rangers from MIH, and that will take time?? so why is AJ getting his knickers in a twist about that. The tax issue was a problem that came out, then that was cleared up by SDM saying publicy MIH will take care of that problem. Maybe some other issues need to be cleared up a bit more privately?? this does not mean we are, or SDM HAS FECKED US UP. Ellis and his backers will buy us.

So Murray hasn't fucked us up then? Everything is fine?

Guest therabbitt

I seriously think that the Ellis deal is on a knife-edge and it's literally 50/50.